Oct 24, 2008
And he is the final piece of the ROR trade:
Zadorov
Grigorenko
Compher
Greer
Morrison
Smirnov

Not a bad haul. I'd still take O'Reilly, but we won't get into that.

Sabres traded McGinn to Anaheim for a conditional 3rd, then moved that 3rd for the rights to Vesey, who didn't sign with them. So they really only have ROR to show for it. Grigs is a goner who we got nothing for, so we can remove him as well.

O'Reilly for Zadorov/Compher/Greer/Morrison/Smirnov right now. Hopefully one of Morrison or Smirnov pan out, would make the trade look pretty good. The ceilings of the first three pieces will be what makes this trade; does Zads become a reliable top 4, does Compher hold down a 3C spot, does Greer become a menacing 3rd line winger... some questions to be answered.

Overall, it was definitely a solid asset management trade and helped restock the prospect pool.

Would folks rather have Jeremy Roy or Greer/Morrison/Smirnov? That will be an interesting one to look back on.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
I kinda get the fact that he's sort of a gamble, being that small and being drafted on his second year of eligibility, but do you guys see a possible future for Smirnov or is he a true boom or bust prospect at the next level? I read here and there that he's hardworking and passionate like no other about the game, which are two qualities a prospect this small has to have in order to get to the show. What's your call?

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
I'd like to see more game film on him. At development camp the best asset he has is that he's a heads up shooter that puts the puck precisely where he wants to. A lot of kids shoot in an area they want and shoot it has hard as they can. His shot is really good. Think Hejduk/Vrbata, not a hard shot but an accurate one.

I have concerns about his point total drop off when his team faced better competition, his inflated numbers as an older draft eligible player, his skating and perhaps the most underrated thing in the modern game, his hockey courage.

In 3v3, I didn't see him winning a lot of races to pucks. I didn't think it was as much a speed issue as it was a willingness to dictate the play and be first on the puck. If he doesn't want to own the puck and dictate the play then he's going to rely on other players to feed him. That's what Grigerenko did. It doesn't matter how talented you are in the NHL if you're not going to go win a puck battle or wait for the game to come to you ALL the time.

So, for his draft position he's a good risk/project. He's got a lot to prove and a lot to improve.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd like to see more game film on him. At development camp the best asset he has is that he's a heads up shooter that puts the puck precisely where he wants to. A lot of kids shoot in an area they want and shoot it has hard as they can. His shot is really good. Think Hejduk/Vrbata, not a hard shot but an accurate one.

I have concerns about his point total drop off when his team faced better competition, his inflated numbers as an older draft eligible player, his skating and perhaps the most underrated thing in the modern game, his hockey courage.

In 3v3, I didn't see him winning a lot of races to pucks. I didn't think it was as much a speed issue as it was a willingness to dictate the play and be first on the puck. If he doesn't want to own the puck and dictate the play then he's going to rely on other players to feed him. That's what Grigerenko did. It doesn't matter how talented you are in the NHL if you're not going to go win a puck battle or wait for the game to come to you ALL the time.

So, for his draft position he's a good risk/project. He's got a lot to prove and a lot to improve.

Haven't see you over here too much Dario. Welcome, and thanks for the info.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think he will be a good AHL scorer like in the mold of Grimaldi, Agozzino.

That's what I'm hoping for. Could be really cool for the Eagles to get welcomed to the AHL with Makar & Timmins joining the D; while a Smirnov - Beaudin - Morrison scoring line shows great chemistry.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You're welcome. Sorry, I need to visit more often for sure. I've turned in to mostly a Twitter machine the last several years.

That's not surprising, twitter seems kind of like the link between here, MHH, and other spots. I follow a lot of people from both. I haven't been on MHH consistently in a few years, and it looks like even less of a possibility of that changing now lol.

I do need to get in on the discord they are running now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad