Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well, he will have every opportunity to develop his offensive game in PG. The Cougars are going to miss Guhle sorely, and really need Cholowski to fill that void - and I think he will.

I am expecting to see him in big minutes, in every situation. PG will be a good team for him in those aspects. He won't be stuck behind anyone.

Cholo is now the 1st PP quarterback on a pre-season game and also penalty killing defenceman. Wings are preparing him for that role at PG.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Cholo is now the 1st PP quarterback on a pre-season game and also penalty killing defenceman. Wings are preparing him for that role at PG.

Yep - he will be treated like a 1D in PG. PG lost a lot of their main PP guys last year, so he is most defintely going to eat up those minutes. He could see PK time but on the second unit, we have a handful of worthy guys for that role.

I'm excited to watch this kid, can't wait to interact with you all over the course of the WHL season!

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Aw ****, but that's probably to be expected. When he is back, I will be able to provide you guys with updates (game-to-game basis or just a recap of his weekend). I am a STH for the PG Cougars - I've been active on the Bruins board for Gabrielle and Buffalo board for Guhle when they played with us. As well as other players that were drafted, that played for us.

what is an StH? (sorry dont know that acronym)

Also yes we would love to hear your scouting reports, thanks!

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Well, he will have every opportunity to develop his offensive game in PG. The Cougars are going to miss Guhle sorely, and really need Cholowski to fill that void - and I think he will.

I am expecting to see him in big minutes, in every situation. PG will be a good team for him in those aspects. He won't be stuck behind anyone.

I'm glad he's going there. I'm a firm believer that it does not matter which CHL team you play for (Sudbury is one of the sorriest franchises in OHL history but one of the top all time top producers of NHL talent anyway). Bad junior teams have just as many developmental advantages as good ones. Like you said, being the #1 guy in every situation will be great for him to pick up some of the pieces his missing in his game.

Looking forwards to your updates, best of luck with the WHL season :nod::handclap:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm glad he's going there. I'm a firm believer that it does not matter which CHL team you play for (Sudbury is one of the sorriest franchises in OHL history but one of the top all time top producers of NHL talent anyway). Bad junior teams have just as many developmental advantages as good ones. Like you said, being the #1 guy in every situation will be great for him to pick up some of the pieces his missing in his game.

Also, isn't it common in WHL, that if you play great on a crap team, it will create an interest and you probably get traded to a contender?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Also, isn't it common in WHL, that if you play great on a crap team, it will create an interest and you probably get traded to a contender?

Yes. If PG is battling for say a 7th or 8th seed in the West, there could be a chance they deal him to say, a team like Kelowna which would also be great for him. This way PG gets something for the future as well.

I think PG will definitely be a team fighting to get into the playoffs, but I can see them being a middle of the pack team or lower - it really depends how this team performs after all the departures.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Looking forwards to your updates, best of luck with the WHL season :nod::handclap:

Agreed. This is the perfect year for Chokowski to be stepping in and I'm sure it helped his decision. He gets to be the 'man'.

Hopefully we don't have to trade him, so I can watch him all year!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yes. If PG is battling for say a 7th or 8th seed in the West, there could be a chance they deal him to say, a team like Kelowna which would also be great for him. This way PG gets something for the future as well.

I think PG will definitely be a team fighting to get into the playoffs, but I can see them being a middle of the pack team or lower - it really depends how this team performs after all the departures.

Honestly would be happier if he is carrying them into playoff contention and thus isn't moved at the deadline. If they crash out in the first round he can just join the Griffins who are likely to still be a big time player in the AHL and make a deep run. Playing 25 minutes a night and being the man is probably the best case scenario. Thought he looked great last night. I like how he is ready to quickly move the puck as soon as it hits his stick. Mantha botched a great one timer opportunity last night because I think he was surprised how quickly Cholowski fired the puck to him.

So one, couture..

It is the best, best on best tourney for 19 year old kids. It is important and should not be pish poshed away by anyone.

Again I find it unlikely that he won't make it next year anyway.

For you to be right he has to miss next year too while actually still being in junior hockey. He is a fringe candidate this year with wing flexibility and tremendous special teams value. Tough to pass a player like that up two years in a row, especially when he was one of Canada's best players at the Hlinka.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For you to be right he has to miss next year too while actually still being in junior hockey. He is a fringe candidate this year with wing flexibility and tremendous special teams value. Tough to pass a player like that up two years in a row, especially when he was one of Canada's best players at the Hlinka.

I think he'll make it. Great PP weapon that can play center or wing. On small ice with that size he'll dominate the small European teams. The fact he can play wing or center is big in a short tournament.

Cholowski has a year written off so he'll need to start really strong to get a fair look

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he'll make it. Great PP weapon that can play center or wing. On small ice with that size he'll dominate the small European teams. The fact he can play wing or center is big in a short tournament.

Cholowski has a year written off so he'll need to start really strong to get a fair look

I mean I would take him over Givani Smith who seems to be on quite a few lists I have seen.

I think Cholowski has the opportunity to play his way on. He is going to see a ton of ice time in PG. You could see during the pre-season game that he is one of those guys that can log a lot of minutes because of the style of hockey he plays and the way he skates. I think he could pretty quickly establish himself as the #1 option even strength, PP and even PK.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
went ahead and looked up top 10 picks from the 2007-2013 drafts that never played in the world juniors(and it wasn't because they were in the NHL),a couple of these players might have been because of injury tough to say but they did all play relatively full seasons at least

only looked at Canadians because it gets messy if you're comparing people trying to make it onto different countries teams and such

Zach Hamill
Logan Couture
Keaton Ellerby
Josh Bailey
Scott Glennie
Dylan Mcilrath
Slater Koekkoek

small sample size but certainly not a promising list to be on,there's a couple success stories in there but they are from the earliest years of it(Couture was 2007 and even Bailey was 2008)

Logan Couture played on Team Canada's WJC U18 team in 06-07. He never played for the U20 team, though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just keep progressing... our LD’s are (especially) terrible.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm glad for D-Cho, that's awesome for him as a player and it speaks volumes for his character.

I wish I could do more than stat watch him since he's such an intriguing player, his point production is solid for a player for whom I've heard game's not predicated on points.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think Cholo could end up as an Adam Larsson tier player, topping out as a Ryan McDonut if all our dreams come true

Reactions: Ezekial

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm glad for D-Cho, that's awesome for him as a player and it speaks volumes for his character.

I wish I could do more than stat watch him since he's such an intriguing player, his point production is solid for a player for whom I've heard game's not predicated on points.

His stats dont look great but his team is bad. As a dman hes one point out of second on the team in scoring with one less game played and 4 points out of first with 2 less games played. The enxt closest D is 7 points behind and after that no D even have double digit points. I hope he makes the junior team so we can see hwat he looks like on a good team

Reactions: Ezekial

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Sounds like a player we all can get excited about. Chychrun wouldn't have started on this team either. Wings may have made the better choice while getting rid of Datsyuk's contract. Love it!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am glad to see him get this honor. I think he would help Canada a lot at the WJC, not sure if they will put him on the team. I really believe he is one of their six best d-man options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad