Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He can develop just fine in GR

So the guy leaves SCSU because he can't compel big, big minutes and now you expect him to step in with GR and do something he wasn't able to do at a lower level? That makes zero sense, unless you are speaking out of self interest and simply want to see him play in person.

Cholowski needs to play big, big minutes in all situations. The only place he is going to get to do that this season is in the WHL. We can bring him up to GR after the WHL season is over. As someone else correctly pointed out, he isn't any less of a project today than he was on draft day.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So the guy leaves SCSU because he can't compel big, big minutes and now you expect him to step in with GR and do something he wasn't able to do at a lower level? That makes zero sense, unless you are speaking out of self interest and simply want to see him play in person.

Cholowski needs to play big, big minutes in all situations. The only place he is going to get to do that this season is in the WHL. We can bring him up to GR after the WHL season is over. As someone else correctly pointed out, he isn't any less of a project today than he was on draft day.

I think a season in the WHL is the best thing for his development at this point as well, was just thinking he might not be as far off from holding his own in the AHL as I originally thought.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I think a season in the WHL is the best thing for his development at this point as well, was just thinking he might not be as far off from holding his own in the AHL as I originally thought.

He should have stayed in college. Unless he's just dumb and can't cut it.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Asked Malik what he thought the plan was for Cholowski and he said the plan is Grand Rapids or Toledo.....Prince George isn't a fit....he also said if PG traded his rights that could change things

Mvprice

Mar 4, 2017
I would definitely prefer to see him in the WHL. He would defenetly benefit from playing big minutes in the dub then bottom pairing/fighting for ice time in the AHL. he can also start in the ECHL but he still might not be ready to play against men.
I've still never heard why he decided to leave college early when he defenetly isn't ready for pro hockey. When he was drafted, I thought he'd play out his years in college before coming into the pros. I think he would've devolped the best in the college ranks but since he left, the WHL is definitely the best option for him imo.

Mvprice

Mar 4, 2017

Couldn't agree any more. For him to grow as a player, he needs to play big minutes and in all situations. I would've like to see him grow in college and gain more ice time by proving that he deserves it but now that he's probably going to play in the dub he's going to be on the top pairing on arguably any team.
He is by no means a can't miss or definite NHLer of the future. I do believe he has a high ceiling as a overall very good defender. He will never be a top offensive defensemen nor will he be the best defensive defensemen but if he can put it all together, he will definitely be a solid NHLer. The skliiset is there.
There shouldn't be an adjustment period when he joins ths dub since last year he was playing in college where the competition is higher.
Next year will be a big year on who he is as a player and what his potential is.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I know Toledo sounds bad, but would it really be that bad for his development? Don't want him on the griffins yet.
No offense firebird, I know ur a Toledo guy

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I know Toledo sounds bad, but would it really be that bad for his development? Don't want him on the griffins yet.
No offense firebird, I know ur a Toledo guy

Why not move him into the OHL in Michigan or Windsor, so he's able to move to Toledo or GR if he progresses? Other players have crossed leagues.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Why not move him into the OHL in Michigan or Windsor, so he's able to move to Toledo or GR if he progresses? Other players have crossed leagues.
If he's sent to junior, he can't be assigned to AHL/ECHL until his junior season is over.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
This kid is supposedly very good, scholastically. It's kind of a mystery why he agreed to leave. I wonder if he was as unhappy with his usage as the Wings were.

I am just guessing but maybe the Wings wanted Cholo under contract before he progressed into a really good player who might bolt after college. Or he just wanted to continue elsewhere. He is a rink rat and probably would like to play more games each year

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
He will probably just start to push his way into pro playing in leagues with more games...he can get his education through online classes. Isn't that what Colton Parayko did?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

To do that he'd have to be realsed by the team that holds his rights now, and then be passed over through waivers by EVERY team in the WHL. Absurdly unlikely that would happen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To do that he'd have to be realsed by the team that holds his rights now, and then be passed over through waivers by EVERY team in the WHL. Absurdly unlikely that would happen.

Sort of in that the Wings wouldn't want to do to the WHL what they could to get him through. They could basically announce they want him to play in the OHL for so and so or they will keep him in Grand Rapids or Toledo. That would be a pretty big threat that would hurt them in junior hockey for some years, but if they did it kind of hard to imagine people would claim him.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Sort of in that the Wings wouldn't want to do to the WHL what they could to get him through. They could basically announce they want him to play in the OHL for so and so or they will keep him in Grand Rapids or Toledo. That would be a pretty big threat that would hurt them in junior hockey for some years, but if they did it kind of hard to imagine people would claim him.

That would take a level of insanity that even Ken Holland isn't quite capable of.

It's much easier to try and get PG to trade him to Regina or some other contender in the WHL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That would take a level of insanity that even Ken Holland isn't quite capable of.

It's much easier to try and get PG to trade him to Regina or some other contender in the WHL.

Not a proponent of it by any means, was just saying there is a way probably to force that through in junior. I would be super surprised to watch it happen but I expect somebody will do it at some point. I hope that it isn't the Wings.

Caddy

Mar 4, 2016
Vancouver
Here's a Ryan Martin quote from a recent article on the Red Wings website about their prospects at the WJSS.

"We've been on him (Cholowski) to hit the gym and add strength. He has the skating component of it down, but he has put in a lot of time in this offseason. He elected to turn pro this year; he had some different options in terms of going back to college or try and continue his development on the pro track or major junior at Prince George and he felt that would be the better situation for him to have that opportunity to play more games in the Western League..."

It sounds like he's more leaning to play in the WHL to me, probably best for his development at this point.

Article: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/ryan-martin-offers-his-assessment-of-wings-prospects/c-290587126

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That photo reminds me these are kids. Good gravy.

He's not a kid, he'll be 20 soon enough. He's just a rail of a person. Calista Flockhart small. Even recent pictures don't give me any hope that this pipe cleaner will be anything but the 'before' on the late night infomericals about protein drinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad