Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Going from a league playing against older/stronger competition to being the #1 guy on a bad junior team seems to be working out pretty well for Hronek. To me the situations seems similar. Listed as the exact same size via eliteprospects as well.

Hornek's situation might have been a bit more extreme seeing as he was playing incredibly limited minutes in the Czech league though.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Good gravy we all know the Wings need defense. I don't give a crap why the kid left college. If it speeds up his time that's good enough for me.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The CHL is somehow getting underrated here. I never thought I'd have to defend them as a development system, but they are pretty much the best. The WHL is a fantastic league in terms of level of competition, and any 19 year-old defenseman would be well-served to spend a year there on the top pairing.

And the idea that WHL guys are babies compared to NCAA players is pretty weird. The WHL is a physical league, and it requires a fair amount of strength to succeed there. There are tons of 19 year-olds and 20 year-olds floating around still, so Cholowski will be playing against physically capable opponents.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The CHL is somehow getting underrated here. I never thought I'd have to defend them as a development system, but they are pretty much the best. The WHL is a fantastic league in terms of level of competition, and any 19 year-old defenseman would be well-served to spend a year there on the top pairing.

And the idea that WHL guys are babies compared to NCAA players is pretty weird. The WHL is a physical league, and it requires a fair amount of strength to succeed there. There are tons of 19 year-olds and 20 year-olds floating around still, so Cholowski will be playing against physically capable opponents.

This until such time as the NCAA produces more actual NHL players than the CHL, the chl will remain the dominate NHL player factory

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
I don't understand everyone's complaints here. If Cholo was drafted outta the CHL he would have to play there this season anyway, and I doubt a single one of you would complain about him playing in a "weaker league". The NCAA and CHL are very different leagues, but both have produced and continue to produce good NHLers. The advantage of the NCAA for Cholo was he'd have more time to hit the gym and slowly build his frame. But if he is only going to get <20 minutes a night there and not be the #1PPQB then I can see how playing >20 minutes a night in all situations can be beneficial to him.

IMO it doesn't make sense for him to go to the AHL, he's too slight at the moment for him to be successful there next season. The advantage to the CHL is that he can get used to an NHL style schedule (60+ games) and work on his offensive game with all the minutes he would log. Cholo has been described as a smart, smooth skating 2 way d man with the only question marks being his weight and recent offensive emergence. If he can work on his offensive game and bulk up, then the WHL would be a good thing for his development.

And lets stop acting like the CHL is full of 16 year olds, the average age is closer to 18 than 16, and Cholo is only 19(?) so he would actually be playing against guys his own age.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't understand everyone's complaints here. If Cholo was drafted outta the CHL he would have to play there this season anyway, and I doubt a single one of you would complain about him playing in a "weaker league". The NCAA and CHL are very different leagues, but both have produced and continue to produce good NHLers. The advantage of the NCAA for Cholo was he'd have more time to hit the gym and slowly build his frame. But if he is only going to get <20 minutes a night there and not be the #1PPQB then I can see how playing >20 minutes a night in all situations can be beneficial to him.

IMO it doesn't make sense for him to go to the AHL, he's too slight at the moment for him to be successful there next season. The advantage to the CHL is that he can get used to an NHL style schedule (60+ games) and work on his offensive game with all the minutes he would log. Cholo has been described as a smart, smooth skating 2 way d man with the only question marks being his weight and recent offensive emergence. If he can work on his offensive game and bulk up, then the WHL would be a good thing for his development.

And lets stop acting like the CHL is full of 16 year olds, the average age is closer to 18 than 16, and Cholo is only 19(?) so he would actually be playing against guys his own age.

He'll be closer to 20. SO he will be a almost 20 year old (he will be 20 long before the season ends) playing against players who average in age around 17-18. Yeah, that's a real step forward.

Cholo is the type of prospect that needs to be pushed. He will be eaten alive in the NHL. Being handed a top pairing position instead of earning it is fundamentally a backwards step. What the Wings should have done was tell him to stick it out one more year, spend the summer in the gym and with the Wings training staff putting weight and muscle on and coming into next season looking to be the best defender. Instead he goes down the the WHL where he will be the best by default. No need to earn the ice time, no drive to improve his game. Just show up and be handed the spot. And that cannot be good for his development.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
This is just wrong on the face of it. For players to about the age of 18 the CHL is great, but after that, usually if you're overage dominating the CHL is expected. It will objectively hurt him having to play there, because there is no drive for him to get bigger. Why bother? He's going to almost by default get a lot of minutes and probably quite a few points. In the NCAA at least there would be a drive for him to put on weight, and improve to increase his time and stats. It even is obvious in your own words: This kid wasn't going to be handed anything in at SCSU, he would have to be the best defenseman to play the best minutes. He clearly wasn't this year, and it seems instead of spending the summer training, he'd rather regress back to playing under 18s.

Opinions are subjective, unless you can provide facts and figures backing up how it's going to for sure hurt him?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way if Cholo lights it up to start the season and makes Team Canada for the WJC how upset are you guys going to be. He wasn't going to get a look if he stayed in College in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
By the way if Cholo lights it up to start the season and makes Team Canada for the WJC how upset are you guys going to be. He wasn't going to get a look if he stayed in College in my opinion.

I really doubt he makes Team Canada over his peers that have been there multiple times now, but I also think no one should be upset he is playing in the WHL next year.

If he did that would be awesome, and I agree he is in a much better position now to even make that a possibility.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really doubt he makes Team Canada over his peers that have been there multiple times now, but I also think no one should be upset he is playing in the WHL next year.

If he did that would be awesome, and I agree he is in a much better position now to even make that a possibility.

He will have to shred the WHL, but I honestly don't think that is that impossible. He is a terrific skater with massive offensive gifts.

Also worth noting, while I think the NCAA is very physical the WHL is the most physical Canadian Junior league in my opinion. Lets not act like he is going to play no touch hockey with this move. We will have to wait and see, kid is really talented.

Also for those of you saying now he is really in trouble. Duncan Keith left MSU for the WHL after his sophomore season, then played two years in the AHL. While obviously it is unlikely he turns into a two time norris winner, everyone needs to settle down, we have a first round D draft pick with lots of talent and a second round draft pick from that same draft already showing massive signs. That is what we have begged for, good news it looks like our first two picks are in good hands. The Wings are already investing in both, before they really have to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He will have to shred the WHL, but I honestly don't think that is that impossible. He is a terrific skater with massive offensive gifts.

Also worth noting, while I think the NCAA is very physical the WHL is the most physical Canadian Junior league in my opinion. Lets not act like he is going to play no touch hockey with this move. We will have to wait and see, kid is really talented.

Also for those of you saying now he is really in trouble. Duncan Keith left MSU for the WHL after his sophomore season, then played two years in the AHL. While obviously it is unlikely he turns into a two time norris winner, everyone needs to settle down, we have a first round D draft pick with lots of talent and a second round draft pick from that same draft already showing massive signs. That is what we have begged for, good news it looks like our first two picks are in good hands. The Wings are already investing in both, before they really have to.

I'm 0% worried about this move. But I never really loved him going to SCSU to begin with, no disrespect.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm 0% worried about this move. But I never really loved him going to SCSU to begin with, no disrespect.

I was okay with him going there, but guys have left college for junior and been fine.

I am really excited about Cholowski and Hronek. I know a lot of times that is the newest kid on the block deal, but both guys look legit when I have seen them play. Obviously I don't get to see them a lot, but I like what I have seen for sure. They seem to be guys that play the way the league is heading. Fast guys with good puck moving skills that constantly play with their head up. We need those kind of guys to be sure.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was okay with him going there, but guys have left college for junior and been fine.

I am really excited about Cholowski and Hronek. I know a lot of times that is the newest kid on the block deal, but both guys look legit when I have seen them play. Obviously I don't get to see them a lot, but I like what I have seen for sure.

Big fan of Hronek, I hope he produces in the AHL next year. Really want to see him transition better than Sproul and XO did. Cholowski needs to prove it to me next year and beyond. Not saying he won't, just want to see more before I buy in. I think he's very raw still. Hard to gauge how he projects when he is as raw as he is, IMO. Is he going to get a game with the Griffins? That would be a great measuring stick, if so.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

not a Defenseman but for a bit more recent of an example Charlie Coyle switched from College to Juniors in the middle of his Sophomore season(during the season even) and has turned out pretty well as well

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Big fan of Hronek, I hope he produces in the AHL next year. Really want to see him transition better than Sproul and XO did. Cholowski needs to prove it to me next year and beyond. Not saying he won't, just want to see more before I buy in. I think he's very raw still. Hard to gauge how he projects when he is as raw as he is, IMO. Is he going to get a game with the Griffins? That would be a great measuring stick, if so.

Have not heard a word, one way or the other, on Cholowski if he will be in Grand Rapids this weekend or not. All quiet down here so far.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Hronek although he's 6'0" will be a solid player. However Cholowski was a first round pick. They article is correct. The Wings need a first round pick to be a home run.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
While I'm on record being very skeptical of a sudden change of direction, I do like the idea of Cholowski learning from Todd Nelson who has done a really nice job with our prospects on defense. Since his WHL team is done for the year he'll likely spend the rest of the season in Grand Rapids which should help him get a feel for the AHL and the level of competition.

I have no idea what will happen with him next seasons. He'll still be 19 at the start of the year so he'll probably be in the WHL. If he dominates that will be nice, I greatly prefer the idea of him being promoted to GR and facing tougher competition, not staying at a lower level like the WHL when he's facing young guys between the age of 15-19. Hopefully he can maximize his time in GR, learn a bunch from Nelson, hit the gym hard this summer and potentially make a case to stay in GR next season. Hopefully Nelson stays on with the organization and he can continue to work with Cholo, Hronek and Saarijarvi.

So if Cholo sticks in GR I like this move a lot. If he's in the WHL playing against 15-20 year olds I have to say it seems like a big step back, particularly since each team can only have three 20 year olds on their team.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
While I'm on record being very skeptical of a sudden change of direction, I do like the idea of Cholowski learning from Todd Nelson who has done a really nice job with our prospects on defense. Since his WHL team is done for the year he'll likely spend the rest of the season in Grand Rapids which should help him get a feel for the AHL and the level of competition.

I have no idea what will happen with him next seasons. He'll still be 19 at the start of the year so he'll probably be in the WHL. If he dominates that will be nice, I greatly prefer the idea of him being promoted to GR and facing tougher competition, not staying at a lower level like the WHL when he's facing young guys between the age of 15-19. Hopefully he can maximize his time in GR, learn a bunch from Nelson, hit the gym hard this summer and potentially make a case to stay in GR next season. Hopefully Nelson stays on with the organization and he can continue to work with Cholo, Hronek and Saarijarvi.

So if Cholo sticks in GR I like this move a lot. If he's in the WHL playing against 15-20 year olds I have to say it seems like a big step back, particularly since each team can only have three 20 year olds on their team.

Nelson is in his 2nd year of a 3 yr contract with the Griffins. Barring a NHL team that wants Nelson to be their head coach for 17-18, Nelson will be the Griffins coach next season. Even if an NHL team does inquire about Nelson, I think Holland would not let anyone talk to him until after the 17-18 season like he did when Blashill was coach here in GR.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Cholowski will be 19 when the season begins and won't turn 20 until February therefore he wouldn't be considered a 20 year old player for the 17-18 season. If he was to go back and play another year in the CHL he would be considered an overager and would have to claim 1 of the 3 overager spots that are available. Essentially it is based on your age by Dec 31st of that season.

I'm not worried about the change. The Wings probably felt that SCSU wasn't the right place for him and that either the CHL or AHL would be better. If he goes to the CHL he'll clearly be the #1 dman on the Cougars next year but looking at their team make up I'd assume he'd be traded if the Wings send him down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->