Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Still don't know how Clague dropped to the 51st pick in the '15 draft, I remember saying I would have taken him at #20 that year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I actually agree with Dotter.

They've got enough smaller offensive guys that are defensive liabilities already.

They have a mix of both. Fabbro, Foote, Timmins, Clague, Mahura are all good two way guys. Mete, Makar, and Ferraro are the only small/offensive types. Only guy that I would consider to be a real defensive liability is Jake Bean, and I think you could have made a case for Cholo to take his spot, but as I have been saying... they like continuity.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Because Bean was on the team last year
Yup, and i remember him playing like shit at last years WJC. Just think it’s silly choosing him over Dennis just because he was on the team last year. It is what it is though :huh:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Yup, and i remember him playing like **** at last years WJC. Just think it’s silly choosing him over Dennis just because he was on the team last year. It is what it is though :huh:
I can't stand watching Jake Bean play, He looks so awkward out there... He won't amount to anything in the NHL.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Cholo is an interesting one. It's almost like he should have been in last years draft. He is allot younger and under developed then his draft class.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yup, and i remember him playing like **** at last years WJC. Just think it’s silly choosing him over Dennis just because he was on the team last year. It is what it is though :huh:

yep. All Cholo can do is keep playing for his team, use it as motivation to be better, and show how big of a gaff his not being selected was. Control what you can.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Still don't know how Clague dropped to the 51st pick in the '15 draft, I remember saying I would have taken him at #20 that year.

You mean the ‘16 draft? I thought I remembered him being super hyped to begin the year but then he had a slow start that was nowhere near the hype and could never really make up ground after that. Didn’t realize he had fallen all the way to 51 though. Was thinking he had a Foote-like fall.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You mean the ‘16 draft? I thought I remembered him being super hyped to begin the year but then he had a slow start that was nowhere near the hype and could never really make up ground after that. Didn’t realize he had fallen all the way to 51 though. Was thinking he had a Foote-like fall.

'16, sorry yes. He was ranked high going into his draft season. Understand him falling, but thought it was crazy how much he ended up falling.

Kid was always a great skater and he's not small. He just got buried a bit on their depth chart, IIRC. Wasn't getting much PP time in his draft season. Really liked the tools there.

I think he's going to be Canada's #1 guy in this tournament.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/119830439/

Edit - I have warmed up to the pick since it was made

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cholowski after a trade to Portland:

2 games, 0+1, +2, 5 shots.

Looks like he was the only defenceman on plus on that 5-4 win for Portland. They have won both games since he arrived. On both games he was +1.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dennis Cholowski in a 4-game point-streak for Portland. Has 0+6 on those games.

Cholowski before Christmas:
31 games, 8+19= 27 points (0.87 ppg)

Cholowski after Christmas:
11 games, 5+13= 18 points (1.64 ppg)

Guy is heating up. It took only 1 game to adjust for Portland roster. That Portland-debut is his only game without points since Christmas.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Dennis Cholowski in a 4-game point-streak for Portland. Has 0+6 on those games.

31 games, 8+19= 27 points (0.87 ppg)

11 games, 5+13= 18 points (1.64 ppg)

Guy is heating up. It took only 1 game to adjust for Portland roster. That Portland-debut is his only game without points since Christmas.
Very nice numbers. Looking at highlights I love how easy he makes it look. The points he's getting are not the result of carelessly pinching or being a "4th forward". It's mostly smart passes, well placed point shots, good outlets, that type of stuff.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Very nice numbers. Looking at highlights I love how easy he makes it look. The points he's getting are not the result of carelessly pinching or being a "4th forward". It's mostly smart passes, well placed point shots, good outlets, that type of stuff.

His goals usually are ones, where he skates on the slot for "better percetages", and then snipes. Just smart, this guy has has good brain.

Assists have usually come from PP quarterbacking (at Prince George).

He will be a nice tool to have.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As for Comparison, Filip Hronek went last year in OHL like this:

Before Christmas:
27 games, 5+18=23 points (0.85 ppg)

After Christmas:
32 games, 9+29= 38 points (1.19 ppg)

He also trended upwards.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did hunt for this old thread and looks like I had made some Christmas data in here.

31 games, 8+19= 27 points (0.87 ppg) and +5.

38 games, 6+33=39 points (1.03 ppg) and +24.

So after his hot streak he cooled a bit down, but still kept his after-christmas scoring over ppg.

So far Cholowski has 3 goals in 4 WHL playoff games. No assists.

All stats combined so far from WHL, 73 games, 17+52=69 points, +29.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
looks like he is a very good player among never drafted players

D-man Cholowski grows into new role with Cougars

In this article the explanation for that to happen was just his late-growing.

“I’m a pretty offensive defenceman, just asserting myself and taking control and you’ve got to be sound defensively as well and I’ve been working on that and I think I’ve gotten much better,” said Cholowski.

“Hockey always came naturally, I just didn’t really grow at the right time at the bantam draft.

There were 125 reasons why Dennis Cholowski was still available 10 rounds into the 2013 Western Hockey League bantam draft.

That was his weight in pounds as a skinny five-foot-five defenceman while he was playing for the Langley Eagles bantam Tier 1 team when the Prince George Cougars called his name.

So he was 5'5-5'6 then, now 6'1 or even possibly 6'2.

More in here:

Hockey-addicted Cholowski grows as a player for SCSU

"The big growth spurt started in my last year of midgets before I went to junior hockey," he said. "By the time I was in my second year of juniors, I was the size I am today.
"It was about a span of a year and a half that I sprouted up. I went from 5-foot-6, 125 pounds to 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds. I think I'm honestly closer to 6-2 now."

I kind of used the motivation of not being drafted very high in the WHL Draft because I was small," said Cholowski, who was taken in the 10th round (200th overall) of the 2013 WHL Draft by Prince George. "I was hoping that I would grow, eventually.
"I went to one camp with them the year I was drafted," he said of Prince George. "All the guys that they drafted that year were way bigger than me. I was small, the little guy on defense who could skate."

About the Weight side:

Red Wings prospect Dennis Cholowski has gotten bigger, stronger in last year

Cholowski began preparing for the 2017-18 campaign at this year's Red Wings development camp. One of the things Cholowski said he wanted to do last year was get bigger and stronger and he's taken a step in that direction during the past year after weighing in at 196 pounds in Traverse City.

"We drafted him and he was 170 pounds," said Tyler Wright, the Red Wings director of amateur scouting. "Some of it's just physically getting mature and growing into becoming a man but a lot of that also is the work that nobody sees and he's putting time and the effort in.

All are articles from last summer or older. I wonder where he goes at next season...

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
From Athletic article, analyzes from two coaches about Cholowski...

Portland coach Mike Johnston:
“He’s even played better than I thought he would,” Johnston told The Athletic. “I knew he was good at jumping up into the play. I knew he had good speed, but I also thought that — I really felt that his defensive game, I didn’t really notice as much before, was way better than I had thought at that time.”

As Johnston spoke, he was more describing a type of player:
“He’s versatile. He’s all around. He moves the puck, jumps into the play, has a good stick defensively. He’s more of that type of defenseman.”

“His game for me really translates well to the NHL type of defenseman everybody’s looking for right now,” Johnston said. “And I think he’s going to be a very good player.

Dominique Duharme, Team Canada WJC coach:

“He’s a really good skater. He’s a good transition guy. He’s a guy that — that new kind of defenseman, 2018 defenseman,” Ducharme told The Athletic. “Guys that are skating to transition. So he’s a guy that can [perform] well on both sides but has an offensive edge.”

Things sound good. .. way to go Dennis. :)

Too bad Portland did lost the 4th game for Everett in a devastating way. They took a 2-1 lead at 57th minute. But Everett scored twice one minute later... and won the game. Series now 1-3.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Portland’s season will probably end tonight on the road in Game 5... Next up GR for Dennis, hopefully he plays! Excited to see what he brings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
From Athletic article, analyzes from two coaches about Cholowski...

Portland coach Mike Johnston:

As Johnston spoke, he was more describing a type of player:

Dominique Duharme, Team Canada WJC coach:

Things sound good. .. way to go Dennis. :)

Too bad Portland did lost the 4th game for Everett in a devastating way. They took a 2-1 lead at 57th minute. But Everett scored twice one minute later... and won the game. Series now 1-3.

Too bad Portland lost? On the contrary I would think. Let's get them booted out of the playoffs so he can report to Grand Rapids and get his feet wet on an AHL playoff run against men instead of a playoff run against other kids in the WHL!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Too bad Portland lost? On the contrary I would think. Let's get them booted out of the playoffs so he can report to Grand Rapids and get his feet wet on an AHL playoff run against men instead of a playoff run against other kids in the WHL!
Assuming he jumps in seamlessly and isn't watching the games from the stands.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When has a promising young player ever missed out on meaningful playing time as part of the Red Wings organization.....
It's more about a guy joining a team 75 games into a season rather than the organization holding him back.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Clague was one of the big misses with our 2nd pick.
I thought Timmins might slip to us for a few minutes there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->