Denmark U20

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
This year Denmark will take part in the U20 World Championships. Playing in Group B (Edmonton) they will have their work cut out playing against Canada, USA, Finland and Czech Republic.

The team which features 1rd pick (VAN) Nicklas Jensen from the Oshawa Generals, will travel to North America this week and play a series of matches against teams from the QMJHL.

vs. Blainville-Boisbriand on the 28th of August,
vs. Shawinigan on the 30th of August,
vs. Rimouski on the 1st of September,
vs. Acadie-Bathurst on the 2nd of September.

The team is pretty much what is expected to be the lineup at the championship, and is probably the best U20 team ever (by danish standard). So if anyone on these boards are planing to attend any of the games, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on some of the danish players and the team as a whole.

Cheers.

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Goalies:
Sebastian Feuk (Timrå U20),
Dennis Jensen (EfB Ishockey)

Defence:
Jannick Christensen (EfB Ishockey),
Mark Müller Larsen (Frederikshavn),
Martin Rahbek (Herlev),
Rasmus Knudsen (Blue Fox Herning),
Johan Milling (Hvidovre),
Tobias Ruelykke (Rødovre),
Emil Kristensen (EfB Ishockey),
Anders Thode (Frederikshavn)

Forwards:
Thomas Spelling (Blue Fox Herning),
Patrick Bjorkstrand (Blue Fox Herning),
Patrick Russell (Linköping U20),
Nicolai Meyer (Malmö),
Nicklas Jensen (Oshawa Generals),
Felix Scheel (Rögle),
Martin Højbjerg (Djurgården U20),
Jonas Sass (Herlev),
Anders Schultz (Copenhagen Hockey),
Rasmus Bjerrum (Frederikshavn),
Sebastian Ehlers (Malmö U20),
Thomas Søndergaard (Frederikshavn),
Lasse Bang (EfB Ishockey),
Mikkel Højberg (Djurgården U20).

*Note: Players in bold are the most likely standouts.

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Jonas Sass moved to Herlev to get more icetime, and has looked good in the pre-season matches out there... Tobias Ruelykke got injured in one of his pre-season matches and properbly won't be joining the team. :cry:

As of the best team ever...
I belive we had a year where both Boedkers, Lars Eller, Phillip Larsen, Oliver Lauridsen, Morten Madsen, Mads Christensen, Julian Jakobsen and Nichlas Hardt and Frederik Andersen were on the team. Madsen, Boedker and Eller lead the scoring that tournament. That was IMO the best team we have iced in a while. :handclap:

This years team will get it's work cut out staying in the A-group. :help:

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I really like Felix Maegaard Scheel and I think he will get minor breaktrough for Rögle in Allsvenskan this year. He plays with lots of heart and energy and has decent creativity as well. He is a allround player that I think will have a nice senior career.

Rögle isn't afraid to give their youngsters icetime, and with Everberg hurt theres only 12 forwards on the roster, so his chances are good.

It must be one of Denmarks best roster ever, at least forwards looks really good. All the leading forwards from when Denmark was promoted last year will still be eligble.

Last edited:

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Jonas Sass moved to Herlev to get more icetime, and has looked good in the pre-season matches out there... Tobias Ruelykke got injured in one of his pre-season matches and properbly won't be joining the team. :cry:

As of the best team ever...
I belive we had a year where both Boedkers, Lars Eller, Phillip Larsen, Oliver Lauridsen, Morten Madsen, Mads Christensen, Julian Jakobsen and Nichlas Hardt and Frederik Andersen were on the team. Madsen, Boedker and Eller lead the scoring that tournament. That was IMO the best team we have iced in a while. :handclap:

This years team will get it's work cut out staying in the A-group. :help:

I think I found the lineup you are referring to.

Goalies:
ANDERSEN Frederik
MOELLER Christian

Defense:
GRONVALDT Simon
LARSEN Philip
LAURIDSEN Oliver
BIGLER Emil
PEDERSEN Mathias
JENSEN John
RASMUSSEN Christoffer

Forwards:
BOEDKER Mikkel
ELLER Lars
HARDT Nichlas
HENRIKSEN Jeppe
HJULMAND Sune
HOLGAARD Lasse
JENSEN Alexander
JENSEN Nicholas
LASSEN Lasse
LEDER Kevin
LUND Mads
POULSEN Morten
SVENDSEN Sebastian

Indeed a very good squad by danish standards, however I believe that the lineup this year has a lot more depth. Especially on defense. I also think the players this year are a lot further in their development than the 2007-08 team, if you disregard Eller, Boedker and Larsen.

It would be amazing if the team managed to stay in the top division as most of the players (forwards) are eligible next year as well.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Doubt we'll be able to watch the games anywhere, but I'm looking forward to score updates. I like Jensen, he seems like he COULD be a steal (although most late 1st rounders seem that way initially I guess).

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
I think I found the lineup you are referring to.

Goalies:
ANDERSEN Frederik
MOELLER Christian

Defense:
GRONVALDT Simon
LARSEN Philip
LAURIDSEN Oliver
BIGLER Emil
PEDERSEN Mathias
JENSEN John
RASMUSSEN Christoffer

Forwards:
BOEDKER Mikkel
ELLER Lars
HARDT Nichlas
HENRIKSEN Jeppe
HJULMAND Sune
HOLGAARD Lasse
JENSEN Alexander
JENSEN Nicholas
LASSEN Lasse
LEDER Kevin
LUND Mads
POULSEN Morten
SVENDSEN Sebastian

Indeed a very good squad by danish standards, however I believe that the lineup this year has a lot more depth. Especially on defense. I also think the players this year are a lot further in their development than the 2007-08 team, if you disregard Eller, Boedker and Larsen.

It would be amazing if the team managed to stay in the top division as most of the players (forwards) are eligible next year as well.

2006-2007 (DIV 1 though): http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...data/iihf/output/xml/93/IHM0930DEN_33_2_0.pdf

If you had a game today between that team and all other Danes, the 2006-2007 U20-team would at the very worst be competitive. Hell, the team as such wouldn't even look out of place at a regular WC.

That said, a couple of the players on that team were very young (Mikkel Boedker and Philip Larsen turned 17 the month of the tournament), so I too think this year's team will be stronger (as a team at the time of the tournament, not necessarily in terms of player talent).

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Wow... against QMJHL...

And Latvia playing typical foes... Austria, Belarus... that won't be there in the WJC...

Though I think your team will have hard time against such competion as Latvia U20 last year was really weaker than HK Riga in MHL... of course players in MHL are older than in CHL leagues but in CHL there is also more talent...

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Wow... against QMJHL...

And Latvia playing typical foes... Austria, Belarus... that won't be there in the WJC...

Though I think your team will have hard time against such competion as Latvia U20 last year was really weaker than HK Riga in MHL... of course players in MHL are older than in CHL leagues but in CHL there is also more talent...

Was very surprised myself, but excited to see how they measure up. Probably a good think its still pre-season. However, it makes sense to have preparation games on the small surface against North American competition, so that they get a feeling of what it will be like come December.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Since you are from Gothenburg, aren't there a lot of confusion about his name? :) I mean, you do end every other phrase with the word "eller"...

Eller eller!!

Or as the fans chanted whenever he scored "e du go Eller!?" ;)

Ontopic; Since I am from Gothenburg I know there's a skilled younger Eller, who plays eerily similar to his older brother, but with more speed. So to all Danes here, how far off from the cut to this team is Mads?

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Or as the fans chanted whenever he scored "e du go Eller!?" ;)

Ontopic; Since I am from Gothenburg I know there's a skilled younger Eller, who plays eerily similar to his older brother, but with more speed. So to all Danes here, how far off from the cut to this team is Mads?

He just turned 16 so he is probably a few years away. As I mentioned earlier, the depth of talent amongst danish junior players is steadily increasing.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Even though I'm swedish, I'd rather see Sörensen play for Denmark. It's better to spread the wealth a bit, for the good of international hockey.

I'm in the same position, but I'm very excited to see him playing for sweden though. I can really see him lighting it up in the WJC together with VCR. :)

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
He just turned 16 so he is probably a few years away. As I mentioned earlier, the depth of talent amongst danish junior players is steadily increasing.

Still, he was outstanding last time I saw him play with Frölunda J20, arguably the best player on the ice.

MrRoundtree

Jan 20, 2011
I live in Rosemere near Boisbriand-Blainville arena, I can definately take a look at that game. Kabanov will ''maybe'' be there too but I think he's preparing for the Islanders camp. But we never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->