Confirmed with Link: Denisenko ELC Officially Signed

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I think both are gone... 10 million saved for ownership.

If that's what needs to happen, then so be it. It'll hurt our offense for sure, but Tippett and maybe Denisenko should be able to contribute and help offset some of that loss. My bigger concern is fixing our D and Bobrovsky stopping a puck.

I still think Hoffman or Dadonov may be forced into considering staying at a discount, but it'll depend on the UFA market and who's willing to pay them. I think the cap being stagnant may work in our favour in terms of being able to keep one at a reasonable cost. Hoffman specifically, some teams may shy away from him because of his past as well (however unfounded this may be)...plus he's expressed a desire to return so we'll see. If we can convince him to stay at the same number as Huberdeau and Barkov, I would be happy with that.

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think this hinges entirely on what happens with Yandle/Matheson/Weegar. If we aren't able to offload a Yandle/Matheson/Stralman, there's no way we're bringing in a UFA dman with a medium-high cap hit.

Yeah, even then I'm not sure. There's really no cap room. We could afford a d-man in about the 2M range, that's about it. Unless one of Hoff or Dad, whichever stays, signs a deal for considerably less than I'm thinking.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think Weegs is gone after this year. He just seems like one that doesnt want to be here long term. Maybe its because the difficulty we had with signing him before, I dont know, its just a feeling. I hope he signs long term, for a reasonable rate, because he will be a vital piece to any teams D core.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Yeah, even then I'm not sure. There's really no cap room. We could afford a d-man in about the 2M range, that's about it. Unless one of Hoff or Dad, whichever stays, signs a deal for considerably less than I'm thinking.

I think Weegs is gone after this year. He just seems like one that doesnt want to be here long term. Maybe its because the difficulty we had with signing him before, I dont know, its just a feeling. I hope he signs long term, for a reasonable rate, because he will be a vital piece to any teams D core.

Both of you may be correct. It's unfortunate about Weegar because I think he's one of our most under-rated players.

What happened with that guy from Russia we were supposed to be signing for next season?

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Why do you get the feeling he doesn't want to be here? If him and Ekblad continue to play well together, I dont see why he wouldn't get a 4-5yr deal in around $4 to 4.5 million per?

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Why do you get the feeling he doesn't want to be here? If him and Ekblad continue to play well together, I dont see why he wouldn't get a 4-5yr deal in around $4 to 4.5 million per?

We have about $20 mill projected cap space for next season (only 13 players signed) and already have 4 D making $4.88 + per year...not sure how feasible it is to lock down someone else at or around that number. If we can get rid of a Matheson/Yandle/Stralman, I'd be all for swapping the money out for Weegar.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We have about $20 mill projected cap space for next season (only 13 players signed) and already have 4 D making $4.88 + per year...not sure how feasible it is to lock down someone else at or around that number. If we can get rid of a Matheson/Yandle/Stralman, I'd be all for swapping the money out for Weegar.

20 mil:
- $6.5 to 7 million for Dadonov/Hoffman
- $4 to 4.5 million for Weegs

Leaves around $8 to 9 million for the rest of the RFAs like Borg, Saarela, Hunt, Keeper. Id say about $5million at most there if we even keep all of them.

Haula is a question mark for sure. He may be forced to take a 2 year deal in around $3 to 3.5 million per with his recent injury history

We can move Sceviour to shave some extra space.
I'm in the boat of moving a retained Yandle ($1 to 1.3 million) for picks and taking back some salary, under $2-3 million for a player that has a year or two left.

I'd be heartbroken if we lose Weegar to mismanaged cap space or having to protect Yandle in expansion draft.
Ekblad and Weegar should be 2 of the 3 D we protect no questions asked.

Reactions: pantherbot

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
20 mil:
- $6.5 to 7 million for Dadonov/Hoffman
- $4 to 4.5 million for Weegs

Leaves around $8 to 9 million for the rest of the RFAs like Borg, Saarela, Hunt, Keeper. Id say about $5million at most there if we even keep all of them.

Haula is a question mark for sure. He may be forced to take a 2 year deal in around $3 to 3.5 million per with his recent injury history

We can move Sceviour to shave some extra space.
I'm in the boat of moving a retained Yandle ($1 to 1.3 million) for picks and taking back some salary, under $2-3 million for a player that has a year or two left.

I'd be heartbroken if we lose Weegar to mismanaged cap space or having to protect Yandle in expansion draft.
Ekblad and Weegar should be 2 of the 3 D we protect no questions asked.

This is all assuming Tallon has green light to spend to the cap ceiling again, which I seriously doubt at this point. Sure, we have enough room to make it all happen, but how much of that room can actually be used?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This is all assuming Tallon has green light to spend to the cap ceiling again, which I seriously doubt at this point. Sure, we have enough room to make it all happen, but how much of that room can actually be used?

If we're not gonna spend/compete consistently now, when are we?

I think we have a good 2 year window now before Huberdeau is gone (if we don't find 2nd or 3rd round success)
Barkov needs a new deal shortly but we have a ton of money coming off when he is due.

Then we hand the keys over to Tippett, Denisenko, Noel/Schwindt, Gildon, Ludvig/Koly and this draft etc to fill the voids left for another 3-4 year window after that (while Barkov and Ekblad are at tail end of their prime).

Reactions: pantherbot

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Unfortunately we can’t really afford to trade guys like Tippett or Denisenko to grab those pieces that could put us over the top because now we’re running out of time on our window, Barkov has only 2yrs left and huberdeau at 3yrs before their mega deals. Plus we handed a goaltender everything. We need the ELC contracts for as long as possible. We need to desperately unload Yandle and matheson to free up dollars to do anything impactful or meaningful. Yes we have just under 12mil coming from no hoff, dads or pysyk. But Weegar needs a raise, we need to fill in our 2nd line center role which at this rate is most likely haula. Moving matheson and Yandle gives us new life. Also, escaping the bob contract in the next 4yrs and going with knight (if everything goes as planned) and an affordable backup like driedger (assuming he’s the mainstay back there which who knows right now if that’ll happen)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Unfortunately we can’t really afford to trade guys like Tippett or Denisenko to grab those pieces that could put us over the top because now we’re running out of time on our window, Barkov has only 2yrs left and huberdeau at 3yrs before their mega deals. Plus we handed a goaltender everything. We need the ELC contracts for as long as possible. We need to desperately unload Yandle and matheson to free up dollars to do anything impactful or meaningful. Yes we have just under 12mil coming from no hoff, dads or pysyk. But Weegar needs a raise, we need to fill in our 2nd line center role which at this rate is most likely haula. Moving matheson and Yandle gives us new life. Also, escaping the bob contract in the next 4yrs and going with knight (if everything goes as planned) and an affordable backup like driedger (assuming he’s the mainstay back there which who knows right now if that’ll happen)

I knew we all threw Bob under the bus this year but lets just see how he does in these playoffs. If he's back to form and plays like he played against Tampa last year nobody cares about the early season. I think if we can play at least average defensively he'll be fine.

Reactions: Cold Cat

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I knew we all threw Bob under the bus this year but lets just see how he does in these playoffs. If he's back to form and plays like he played against Tampa last year nobody cares about the early season. I think if we can play at least average defensively he'll be fine.
I agree with his play, he can redeem himself. I’m just saying that paying a goaltender 10mil is simply too much. In 2-3yrs we’ll have huberdeau and Barkov both making about that much and we won’t have much left for the rest of the team and that’s why the ELC contracts are becoming critical right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->