Denis Potvin's 1976 Canada Cup Diary

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Remember hearing a lot about this at the time, but haven't actually got to read it until I just found it here http://news.google.ca/newspapers? (you have to go to page 60 where the article begins).

He took a lot of flak for it after the article was published, mostly for his assertion that he was more deserving of two of the Player Of The Game awards that went to Bobby Orr. Any criticism of Bobby Orr was (and in some areas still is) considered blasphemy. Potvin was portrayed afterwards as an egomaniac for his opinions.

But I don't think it was all that horrible. He's actually overall fairly complimentary about Orr. He just refused to use false modesty when talking about himself. Aside from that, he makes a lot of interesting observations, and seemed genuinely proud to play for his home country.

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
I remember watching most of that series and Bobby Orr was the best player on the ice. Even more remarkable when you realize that the 1974-75 season was for all purposes his last. He was the best player basically on one leg.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad