Denis Potvin look alike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Ok let us not get out of hand here, Potvin is not better than Orr. But that is not what I want to know. I want to know if there is any d-men in NHL or prospect that look like an Denis Potvin out there.

I am Jack's Fish

Roberto Luongo said:
Are ya serious? IMO the second best d-men in history behind Bobby Orr!

One might surmise that you are a younger hockey fan?

"Potvin Sucks" is the rallying cry of every Rangers fan who used to scream it in unison durign the Islander's hey-day in the 80's.

Ranger fans still yell it at Potvin when he in the Garden with the Panthers essentially as a signn of respect now, although I am sure those hard feelings arent totally dead yet.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mark Fischel said:

"Potvin Sucks" is the rallying cry of every Rangers fan who used to scream it in unison durign the Islander's hey-day in the 80's.

Ranger fans still yell it at Potvin when he in the Garden with the Panthers essentially as a signn of respect now, although I am sure those hard feelings arent totally dead yet.

it is yelled at EVERY game still, it has nothing to do with whether or not potvin is in the building...its a tradition (and a pretty stupid one at that) that still gets chanted atleast once every game...

(of course last year the chant changed to "sather sucks")

db23

batesmaroo47 said:
The prospect most like Potvin is Ryan Whitney expect Whitney is much taller than Potvin was.

Sorry. Potvin was an NHL All Star at the age when Whitney couldn't make the Hockey East All Star team. Not even the Third All Star team. When he was 20, most B.U. fans didn't think he belonhed on the ice even. I think he actually was benched at one point. At the same age, Potvin was playing 25 minutes a game in the NHL and dominating. Whitney won't play 25 minutes a game in the NHL until he is 25 probably, and it will take him 5 years to score as many points as Potvin did in his rookie season.

db23

Bryan McCabe resembles him most in all round style, but McCabe is a very pale imitation of Potvin at best. I can't see any younger players in the same mold. You need a combination of Brian Leetch skill with Darius Kaspariatis defence and hitting.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
db23 said:
Bryan McCabe resembles him most in all round style, but McCabe is a very pale imitation of Potvin at best. I can't see any younger players in the same mold. You need a combination of Brian Leetch skill with Darius Kaspariatis defence and hitting.
McCabe is nowhere near the skater Potvin was. You aren't going to find comparable players to guys like Orr, Potvin, Bourque, and Lidstrom. They are all very unique and special players.

Last edited:

guitaraholic*

Roberto Luongo said:
I already post a message like this but in the wrong board :( so here is another one :)

Hi guys. This question is for ppl who have seen Denis Potvin play and still follow hockey. Which current NHL player or prospect do you think most resemble the great Denis Potvin.

I saw Potvin play a ton. He was a Ray Bourque kind of guy in that he did everything well. He was a great offensive dman and a great defensive dman. He had a great shot, was a great passer, character guy, team leader. Close as we'd get today is actually Nicklas Lidstrom, IMO.
I saw Orr play towards the end of his career for the most part. He was totally dazzling and nobody should be compared to Bobby. Not Mario, not Wayne, nobody. Bobby Orr was, even though I never saw him at his *real* peak, the greatest hockey player I've ever seen.
I don't know of any prospect that has an all around game that compares to Potvin. There might be some but none that jump to mind.

guitaraholic*

The Albino said:
I'd say Harvey and Bourque were better. But that's not the point of this thread, so nevermind :)

I saw both Bourque and Potvin play extensively and I am incapable of saying which is "better." They're both great at every aspect of the position. I will say this, though: Nicklas Lidstrom is a slight step down from Potvin and Bourque as far as all time greats go because Lidstrom simply isn't/will never be the same type of physical presence that a guy like Potvin was. Potvin would physically hurt you as well as beat you with skill. Lidstrom does NOT physically punish anyone.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Lidstrom is close among players in their prime, though probably falling just a hair short. There is no prospect or young player who does all the things that Potvin was able to do, nor have the same impact at a similar age. That's a rare, rare type of player. Lidstrom is closest among active, veteran players but even he is not at that level.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Prospect like Potvin?

I didn't see him play a great deal, but I did see him several times as a youngster, and have seen him play since in old classic games.

In terms of players right now, maybe Ed Jovanovski comapares well with Denis, though Jovocop has yet to break out into that 'other level' yet (we're waiting, Eddie!).

In terms of prospects, how about Carlo Colaiacovo? He may never be as good as Denis was, but he certainly plays a similar game to how I remember Potvin playing.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Think of Jovo-Cop, only much better defensively, and a better all-around offensive player. Potvin was also a bit bigger and even more consistently physical than Jovo, but that gives you an idea on his level of play and the type of package he possessed. Scott Stevens, but better offensively and a much better skater is another way to think of him.

db23

Jay Thompson said:
In terms of prospects, how about Carlo Colaiacovo? He may never be as good as Denis was, but he certainly plays a similar game to how I remember Potvin playing.

:shakehead Not in your Blue and White dreams.

The only guy outside the NHL who might possess the tools, although it is awhile before we would know, is Jack Johnson the U.S. NTDP defenseman who will attend the U. of Michigan next season. He has the build of Potvin, 6-0, 210 pounds already at 17, great skills and he is as tough as they come.

Colaiacovo is about the 12th best defensive prospect from the 2001 draft, alone.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Mark Fischel said:

Actually, it's done in just about every game for no reason. I don't think it's to show respect.

Last edited:

Mr. Lack

Feb 27, 2002
Dumont, NJ
Visit site
DaveyCrockett said:
McCabe is nowhere near the skater Potvin was. You aren't going to find comparable players to guys like Orr, Potvin, Bourque, and Lidstrom. They are all very unique and special players.

True...All very unique. if I were explaining to a Devils fan I would tell them that he was a hybrid of Scott Stevens and Scott Neidermeyer. Great Skater, Stick-Handler, Shooter, Playmaker, but could also play very rough.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Potvin was the best defenceman of his era. Period. As for the Ranger fan the chant lives on because the envy is alive in your heart. Somebody started this thread asking what prospect most resembled Potvin. I saw him play a ton and IMO Phaneuf is as close as your gonna get. This kid is the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->