Prospect Info: Denis Gurianov - 12th Overall Pick, 2015

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
If he comes back and isn’t getting top 6 forward minutes and throws another fit about it then yeah, a 1st round pick gone. I’m also curious to see what Hitchcock maybe able to do with him. He likes big players and Ritchie may be gone.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I’d of course much rather have had Nichuskin plugged into Ritchie’s spot this season. Of course this whole thing is about Gurianov though; His window is open.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If we have both Gurianov and Nichushkin going into training camp Radulov will help bring out and show coaches the one that deserves a possible opening day roster spot. The coaches won’t even have to ask him to do so; he’s just that type of guy and would want to get one of his country-men a spot if they want it enough.
I think it's pretty unfair to expect Radulov to solve the mysteries of two underwhelming prospects just because they're all Russian. That's not his job. Even if it was, I think I'd rather see him focus his attention on some other younger players who probably have a better shot of being useful.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I think it's pretty unfair to expect Radulov to solve the mysteries of two underwhelming prospects just because they're all Russian. That's not his job. Even if it was, I think I'd rather see him focus his attention on some other younger players who probably have a better shot of being useful.

They aren't lost causes yet by anymeans still both very young. Are they going to be top line elite players? Probably not, but I'd rather the Stars try and salvage them into useful pieces on the roster than have sqandered two top 15 picks as busts.

I love looking up stuff for the draft and prospects so am always biased towards younger players. The Nill era I've definitely been dissapointed more than happy with their picks. That being said when Niewy was the GM we were all complaining about making "safe" boring picks, instead of swing for the fences picks (maybe a top 15 pick isnt the place to do it, but he's definitley gone for it). Nill has made some boom or bust picks and so far doesn't look like any have been home runs.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nice article on how Rads is encouraging G Smith. Maybe he can help his comrades.....as in "Let me tell you about the time I partied the night before a playoff game in NSH.....I won't ever do THAT again!" Or "the time I went back to the KHL and had trouble coming back. Had to play for peanuts for a year to convince Stars to sign me."

Reactions: Benneguin

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Lack of production.
Running to the KHL (character fights through obstacles and adversity, it doesn’t flee to a more advantageous situation).
Eye test.

I guess a lot depends on if he has matured. The talent and potential has always been there though and should still be. He showed at times Evgeni Malkin type potential (obviously he won't be that, but at times he showed that level of dominance) in the NHL. But a lot depends on how he is used, if he does indeed come back and mature, and if he is able to find his game. Definitely a big question mark but the potential is still there and he is still very young

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Nice article on how Rads is encouraging G Smith. Maybe he can help his comrades.....as in "Let me tell you about the time I partied the night before a playoff game in NSH.....I won't ever do THAT again!" Or "the time I went back to the KHL and had trouble coming back. Had to play for peanuts for a year to convince Stars to sign me."
Or Rads can say, "I barely cared about playing for the Predators, and I still put up numbers better than the two of you ever will combine for in an NHL season. I then went back to the KHL, where I again produced numbers you two could only do in a video game. That's why I was still able to find an NHL contract late in my 20s. So, if you're looking for advice, I'd say save your money because you don't have the skill to do what I do."

Reactions: Satan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I guess a lot depends on if he has matured. The talent and potential has always been there though and should still be. He showed at times Evgeni Malkin type potential (obviously he won't be that, but at times he showed that level of dominance) in the NHL. But a lot depends on how he is used, if he does indeed come back and mature, and if he is able to find his game. Definitely a big question mark but the potential is still there and he is still very young

Rick Nash was always my go-to comparison for Nichushkin but he turned into Rick Nash with no brain and no ability to lift the puck (a bad player)

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
7 pts in his last 7 games after being promoted to Second Line . Hopefully a sign he’s beginning to turn the page .

Reactions: PelleLindbergh

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It’s so similar to the Jack Campbelll pick. There were so many obvious choices and for whatever reason we went off the board.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It’s so similar to the Jack Campbelll pick. There were so many obvious choices and for whatever reason we went off the board.

Didn't we do the same with the Riley Tufte pick? Let's all take a moment to be thankful that Nill didn't go off the board when we got the 3rd overall pick...

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Didn't we do the same with the Riley Tufte pick? Let's all take a moment to be thankful that Nill didn't go off the board when we got the 3rd overall pick...

Tufte wasn't off the board. He was ranked around that area but he definitely wouldn't have been my first pick (hello Alex Debrincat and Libor Hajek)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Tufte wasn't off the board. He was ranked around that area but he definitely wouldn't have been my first pick (hello Alex Debrincat and Libor Hajek)

Yep. I was so mad we passed on DeBrincat, and this past year I thought we traded up to draft Tolvanen. I like Oettinger, but Tolvanen is exactly what we needed.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yep. I was so mad we passed on DeBrincat, and this past year I thought we traded up to draft Tolvanen. I like Oettinger, but Tolvanen is exactly what we needed.

Tolvanen would've been nice. I wasn't exactly sold on him though, but I didn't get a chance to watch many prospects last year where I was busy with school.

At 27 I wanted Robertson (lirl) but I'm still alright with Oettinger.

Oettinger + Robertson is a decent duo though, I'm content with it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Tolvanen would've been nice. I wasn't exactly sold on him though, but I didn't get a chance to watch many prospects last year where I was busy with school.

At 27 I wanted Robertson (lirl) but I'm still alright with Oettinger.

Oettinger + Robertson is a decent duo though, I'm content with it.

Me too. Robertson could really turn out to be a 2nd round steal

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Ouch. They have a bigger blind spot on Russians that our President. I recall watching his first rookie camp, and he did look like a powerful skater, moreso than most there, but that was about it. Don't recall any blistering shots, stop and start skill, or much toughness. And, it doesn't seem like he has progressed.

Laine has top 5 skill in his draft. Seems like if DG had it, he would be tearing up the AHL, no?

Reactions: Satan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->