Denis Gurianov is 17+6 this season

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think he genuinely might be the fastest skater in the league. There's a lose puck somewhere or a puck chipped behind a defenseman and he will create a grade A scoring chance pretty much every time. He has also benefited from the coaching change imho. His former AHL coach now runs the powerplay and that second pp unit is build around him shooting .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This thread needs some videos. Goals in 4 of his last 5 games, 6 goals in his last 9 games. 11 in his last 21. There's a good chance he leads the team in goals at the end of this season and sets the Stars rookie record for most goals in a season.

Also he makes nice passes pretty often too, but similar to how it was going with Roope Hintz earlier in the year, the plays just aren't being finished off.

His speed is just ridiculous though. No one is beating him to a loose puck and there's a reason he consistently leads the Stars in scoring chances. Gets breakaways on almost a nightly basis and has a great shot

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
A
This thread needs some videos. Also,

He makes nice passes pretty often too, but similar to how it was going with Roope Hintz earlier in the year, the plays just aren't being finished off.

His speed is just ridiculous though. No one is beating him to a loose puck and there's a reason he consistently leads the Stars in scoring chances. Gets breakaways on almost a nightly basis and has a great shot
Are you saying he’s got McDavids speed ?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
For sure he's at the very least close. I'd love to see them race

There are players comparable or possibly faster skaters than McDavid, but no one comes close to his speed with the puck

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think he genuinely might be the fastest skater in the league. There's a lose puck somewhere or a puck chipped behind a defenseman and he will create a grade A scoring chance pretty much every time. He has also benefited from the coaching change imho. His former AHL coach now runs the powerplay and that second pp unit is build around him shooting .

He didn't look it vs the Pens, I can see that argument when you consistently see him vs the Western teams, but vs the East, he didn't look like he was blazing past players. I mean just recently, Barzal would never be in the conversation for one of the fastest, but here we are, him being the fastest skater in the league in a group of all-stars, anyway.

But guys like Athanasiou, Larkin, Hagelin, Tanev, Rust, McDavid...no, Gurianov is quick though.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He didn't look it vs the Pens, I can see that argument when you consistently see him vs the Western teams, but vs the East, he didn't look like he was blazing past players. I mean just recently, Barzal would never be in the conversation for one of the fastest, but here we are, him being the fastest skater in the league in a group of all-stars, anyway.

But guys like Athanasiou, Larkin, Hagelin, Tanev, Rust, McDavid...no, Gurianov is quick though.

We played the Pens like months ago and back then i don't think he had even scored a goal on the season. His confidence now is skyhigh and a completely different player from back then.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We played the Pens like months ago and back then i don't think he had even scored a goal on the season. His confidence now is skyhigh and a completely different player from back then.
He doesn't magically get faster in that time either. That's not how any of that works, his scoring might have come later, but his skating didn't just magically appear like that, he's a quick skater, but the league has a lot of fast skaters and there are a lot that are burners over him that don't get mentioned enough.

He wasn't blowing past any Pens players in that game, in a lot of those clips above, he's not blowing past anyone, he's a fast skater though, just not the fastest or in the running for a group that is actually very quick.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He doesn't magically get faster in that time either. That's not how any of that works, his scoring might have come later, but his skating didn't just magically appear like that, he's a quick skater, but the league has a lot of fast skaters and there are a lot that are burners over him that don't get mentioned enough.

Oh yes he does because at least within games because basically didn't try to do anything early in the season . Completely different player now than the one that got send down to the AHL early in the season because he had 0 confidence.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh yes he does because at least within games because basically didn't try to do anything early in the season . Completely different player now than the one that got send down to the AHL early in the season because he had 0 confidence.
Lol, no, no it doesn't.

His shooting and his overall game got better with confidence and he's still a quite streaky player, having a huge chunk of his goals coming in the last 15 games, but overall, his skating isn't going to change with confidence, not even the slightest. His positioning and shooting might, but not his skating. Your physical attributes don't change like that, this isn't EA Sports.

Guys will get quicker in the off season when they have time to train and work on their stride, literally anytime that actually happens with a change, but a guy that is fast during the season isn't going to suddenly get faster, if anything he'd get slower with nagging injuries, not faster.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lol, no, no it doesn't.

His shooting and his overall game got better with confidence and he's still a quite streaky player, having a huge chunk of his goals coming in the last 15 games, but overall, his skating isn't going to change with confidence, not even the slightest. His positioning and shooting might, but not his skating. Your physical attributes don't change like that, this isn't EA Sports.

He would never try to use his speed early in the season . Not in the way he does now. Purely down the ice north-south he's one of the most explosive guys in the league. In a pure sprinting situation i think he'd be one of the fastest players in the league if there was a competition.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He would never try to use his speed early in the season . Not in the way he does now. Purely down the ice north-south he's one of the most explosive guys in the league. In a pure sprinting situation i think he'd be one of the fastest players in the league if there was a competition.
Yeah probably not, there are a lot of players that are faster that are known to be faster and maintain that speed even while doing bursts of it to get separation. In both games vs the Pens in October, Gurianov was noticeable, Dallas isn't filled with speedy players, Hintz and Gurianov stood out, but they were also going up against one of the faster teams in the league, on that alone, it didn't really stand out, but against teams like the Ducks and Flames, yeah he looks incredible.

AA and Larkin alone are flat out faster than Gurianov, Gurianov does have a wicked shot and for now, is just a one dimensional player that will be interesting to see develop with more experience. But in terms of speed, straight away? He's not the fastest, in agility? No, the league is filled with a lot of very fast players that you either are not exposed to (take advantage of being able to watch more games, mate) or you're just really turning your blinders on.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Hilarious thread because it reads exactly like the Roope Hintz one. Down to each comment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->