Demko and DiPietro

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
John Shannon and Alex Auld of SportsNet saying that within four years Michael DiPietro will be the starting goaltender for the Vancouver Canucks. Is he really a better goaltending prospect than Thatcher Demko?

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
John Shannon and Alex Auld of SportsNet saying that within four years Michael DiPietro will be the starting goaltender for the Vancouver Canucks. Is he really a better goaltending prospect than Thatcher Demko?

Its just Tv material. Theres no way you can predict a goalies progress 4 years from now. Its definitely a possibility. Would i be surprised if DiPietro became better than Demko? Certainly not. Would i be surprised Demko ends up better than DiPietro? Certainly not.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Its just Tv material. Theres no way you can predict a goalies progress 4 years from now. Its definitely a possibility. Would i be surprised if DiPietro became better than Demko? Certainly not. Would i be surprised Demko ends up better than DiPietro? Certainly not.
Would I be surprised if neither are in the league 4 years from now.....no.
DiPietro will always be susceptible to high shots and the snipers of the league will see that right away. Demko looked terrible last night,

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Would I be surprised if neither are in the league 4 years from now.....no.
DiPietro will always be susceptible to high shots and the snipers of the league will see that right away. Demko looked terrible last night,
I didn't watch most of the game however the parts I did I wasn't impressed at all from Demko either.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's just a preseason game and consider the quality of the Calgary team. If Demko played that well regularly he wouldn't have done so well in College or the AHL. On the other hand with the team Calgary iced really wasn't a much different caliber than what DiPietro is used to facing, so it shouldn't be surprising Canada's projected WJC goalie looked good here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For Dipietro, he's still 1 more year in the OHL, then it's off to the AHL next season. Demko will begin the NHL next year for sure. So, it's development time. Demko will be given the first opportunity to play at the NHL level. So, when Dipietro arrives, he'll have to really outplay Demko to take over the job. Dipietro won't have the luxury in terms of development that Demko will have at the NHL level. If Dipietro wants to win the job he'll have to outplay Demko who will be ahead of the curve. Nice problem to have though.

Dipietro was drafted to be insurance. You can't always put all of your eggs into 1 goalie prospect's basket. Edmonton only had Briossant up to a couple of years ago and he was supposed to be their guy and he didn't pan out. They had to go get Talbot and then draft Skinner. Buffalo, had Ullmark, but in 2017, they drafted another Finnish Goalie in the 2nd round. Always double down on goalies when you're waiting to develop one. Philly drafted Sandstrom in 2015 and followed that up with Hart in 2016.

Reactions: biturbo19

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Dipietro was drafted to be insurance. You can't always put all of your eggs into 1 goalie prospect's basket. Edmonton only had Briossant up to a couple of years ago and he was supposed to be their guy and he didn't pan out. They had to go get Talbot and then draft Skinner. Buffalo, had Ullmark, but in 2017, they drafted another Finnish Goalie in the 2nd round. Always double down on goalies when you're waiting to develop one. Philly drafted Sandstrom in 2015 and followed that up with Hart in 2016.

You mean if you have a Justin Pogge already you don't need a Tuuka Rask?

Reactions: Dave Lister

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You mean if you have a Justin Pogge already you don't need a Tuuka Rask?
Pretty much that right.... You keep both guys and see if Demko establishes himself. If he doesn't, at least you have another option.

But, Toronto used Rask to get immediate help at the time in Raycroft.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Demko seems like a smart driven kid, but it doesn't always translate to the ice. Psychologically he has a bit of Luongo syndrome, as well, where he can let a bunch of goals at once. Having watched him a few years there's definitely a few things I don't like, and I don't see how he's a better prospect than Markstrom was. I don't know enough about scouting goalies and a lot of people like him but I have my doubts about Thatcher. DiPietro I like psychologically, he seems more energetic and less anxious, but who knows where his development goes.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For Dipietro, he's still 1 more year in the OHL, then it's off to the AHL next season. Demko will begin the NHL next year for sure. So, it's development time. Demko will be given the first opportunity to play at the NHL level. So, when Dipietro arrives, he'll have to really outplay Demko to take over the job. Dipietro won't have the luxury in terms of development that Demko will have at the NHL level. If Dipietro wants to win the job he'll have to outplay Demko who will be ahead of the curve. Nice problem to have though.

Indeed. You've basically got Demko and Dipietro nicely offset, to where Demko should be graduating the AHL just as Dipietro arrives. Give Dipietro 2+ years in the AHL and you should have 2+ years of some form of NHL experience for Demko, and a decent idea of whether he's going to be anything or not. ~3 years from now, you probably want to have another quality goaltending prospect ready to move into the AHL.

As far as i'm concerned, you basically always want to have some sort of quality "developmental" goaltending prospect simmering and learning in the AHL. If you don't have that, you're wasting an important development slot. That's a lot of utility to just throw away. You can have problems on the other end as well though, if you logjam things, because goaltending is a unique position where one guy is playing the whole game...and the backup isn't doing any developing that night. So it's really easy to overload the pipeline and have more prospects than you can effectively develop. It's a bit of a tightrope to walk, but if you're going to err...it seems better to err on the side of too many guys looking promising and not really having space for them all.

You just have to keep that pipeline flowing, because goaltenders are a slow-developing position where, you need to have the guy in the pipeline developing like half a decade before you actually need that starting goaltender in the NHL.

Especially these days, where you pretty much have to find two quality goaltenders to keep your starter optimally rested for a long season, especially if you have aspirations of a long post-season as well. Having a spare starting caliber young goaltender can be a really big advantage.

Reactions: NuxFan09

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Goalies are too hard to predict. For example, LA Bernier was suppose to be the goalie of the future and not Quick. Things change once you start playing nhl games.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Hard to judge Demko's future potential based on last night. The D in front of him were playing giveaway gambit and there were way too many good scoring chances. Shots were pretty close but the Flames had way better scoring chances.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
yes. Demko has the higher trade value now tho.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
It would be silly to be too high on a player drafted in the 7th round, but I'm interested in seeing how Matthew Thiessen develops, this year in the USHL and after that in the NCAA with Maine. He had a superb season in the MJHL last season and despite the lower level of the league he played in was the #4 rated North American goalie in the CSS final draft rankings.

Of course, Demko and DiPietro deserve the attention they get, but it is possible the Canucks might end up with a third good goalie prospect. Also, with Thiessen taking a slower development route (MJHL, then USHL, then NCAA) than DiPietro (OHL, then presumably next year AHL) there could be a nice time progression, with Demko a couple of years ahead of DiPietro who despite being only one year older than Thiessen will be developing to the pro level at least a couple of years and maybe more ahead of the time Thiessen will hope to become a pro.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Could be. Demko isn’t a lock to make the NHL, he has not looked good at this level , at all.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Could be. Demko isn’t a lock to make the NHL, he has not looked good at this level , at all.
I recall Schneider not looking good during his first several starts either.

But not as if either markstrom or Nilsson have established themselves.

Remember the year that helly had in Winnipeg when he was tasked to take the job from Pavs in 16-17? Didn’t play great. So much so that they signed Mason at $4.1 to be their starter last season. Very few goalies will step in and be great right off the bat especially for a bottom half team.

Saros and Murray came up into a great defence and a excellent defensive system.

lA has had an Excellent defensive system for years. Stats of the guys not named quick are not too far off what quick has put up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Schneider had a similar story too, looked bad many thought he’d bust, took him half the season in the NHL to get going.
The thinking that another year in the A and then Demko comes in next season and lights it up is too optimistic.

There will be some ups and downs. How did a 24 year old markstrom look when he arrived in the Lu deal 4 years ago. So good they kept him in the A the following season and signed Miller to a 3 year deal to be their starter.

But they are giving him his shot as the starter.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
The thinking that another year in the A and then Demko comes in next season and lights it up is too optimistic.

There will be some ups and downs. How did a 24 year old markstrom look when he arrived in the Lu deal 4 years ago. So good they kept him in the A the following season and signed Miller to a 3 year deal to be their starter.

But they are giving him his shot as the starter.

Especially with the D core in front of him, well the forward group won’t help much either ha!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No idea who will be better but that's why you have multiple prospects for each position. While it's unfair to blame Demko for the last game I do think it shows that he still has some issue he needs to work on before making the jump. Give him 50+ games in the AHL this year and let him work on those things. Have him make the jump next season.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Indeed. You've basically got Demko and Dipietro nicely offset, to where Demko should be graduating the AHL just as Dipietro arrives. Give Dipietro 2+ years in the AHL and you should have 2+ years of some form of NHL experience for Demko, and a decent idea of whether he's going to be anything or not. ~3 years from now, you probably want to have another quality goaltending prospect ready to move into the AHL.

As far as i'm concerned, you basically always want to have some sort of quality "developmental" goaltending prospect simmering and learning in the AHL. If you don't have that, you're wasting an important development slot. That's a lot of utility to just throw away. You can have problems on the other end as well though, if you logjam things, because goaltending is a unique position where one guy is playing the whole game...and the backup isn't doing any developing that night. So it's really easy to overload the pipeline and have more prospects than you can effectively develop. It's a bit of a tightrope to walk, but if you're going to err...it seems better to err on the side of too many guys looking promising and not really having space for them all.

You just have to keep that pipeline flowing, because goaltenders are a slow-developing position where, you need to have the guy in the pipeline developing like half a decade before you actually need that starting goaltender in the NHL.

Especially these days, where you pretty much have to find two quality goaltenders to keep your starter optimally rested for a long season, especially if you have aspirations of a long post-season as well. Having a spare starting caliber young goaltender can be a really big advantage.
Good post. I agree 100% with this line of thinking. As usual, I hope we draft another goalie next summer.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
So, let's get this right...……..

Demko, a rookie, in his first real NHL action, playing on a bottom team, in his first full pre-season game, with a mixed AHL/NHL line-up has a bad game and you are saying he is no good....

Did I get this right?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
So, let's get this right...……..

Demko, a rookie, in his first real NHL action, playing on a bottom team, in his first full pre-season game, with a mixed AHL/NHL line-up has a bad game and you are saying he is no good....

Did I get this right?
He also plays too much Fortnite

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Future Luongo Schnieder problem but better goalies LESS drama :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad