Injury Report: Demers out for the season per Gambo (UPD: Recalled from Tucson 3/3/19)

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
He was playing very poorly. Looked extremely sluggish and apathetic. Doesn’t feel much like a loss.

I mildly both agree and disagree, but that's irrelevant to the fact that Jason Demers on the top pairing, even if he's not playing particularly well, is much more palatable than anyone else we have to play top pairing on the right side overall. OEL-Hjalmarsson is the best pairing we can ice in a vacuum but as we found out last season, if we make that pairing a thing, then we end up with disasters like Goligoski-Demers. Shades of Yandle-Murphy from a few seasons back. Gotta balance the pairings, not make a super pairing and put up with garbage on the other two.

Reactions: Yandover

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
He was playing very poorly. Looked extremely sluggish and apathetic. Doesn’t feel much like a loss.

Tocchet said in an interview right after the game that he had been playing really well for them...but he didn’t seem all that noticeable I’ll grant you that. As long as Chych and Goligoski come back in the next week and the D can stay relatively healthy from that point on I think they’ll be fine. My guess is Oesterle gets a shot with OEL first.

OEL - Oesterle
Chychrun - Hammer
Connauton - Goligoski

Still have Bush as the 7th and he’s been playing well. This is exactly why Chayka overloaded the D in the first place. Still think our biggest need is some more offense and if we pick someone up it will be a forward. If we are sitting pretty right at the deadline and can get another cheap depth D then maybe at that point he would add one but I don’t think we’ll see a major D addition personally.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Tocchet said in an interview right after the game that he had been playing really well for them.
This is because he has. Plus/Minus certainly doesn't tell all, but a third best for D on this team -1 with the ice time he's logged is solid. OEL is a +2 and Hjalmarrson a +8 and it falls from there with Chychrun already a -2, Lyubushkin -3 and Oesterle -7

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Some rough math...

Demers salary: $4.4M
Florida is paying: 12.5% ($3.85M remaining)
22% of season done = $847K already paid (~$3M remaining)
Insurance pays 80% = $2.4 million freed up

His contract is probably insured. However insurance doesn't kick in until a player misses 30+ games. So would free up approximately 41.5% times 80% of the $3.85m salary this season = $1.28m.

Reactions: KG and Mosby

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think tonight’s lineup might be

OEL - Bush
Oesterle - Hammer
Mermis - Connauton

Cancel that...guess the lineups are already out haha. Gonna ride those top two pairings tonight. Third pairing of Mermis and Bush can’t get more than 10-12 minutes of ice

Reactions: Mosby

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Cody Ceci from Ottawa has a one year deal playing pretty decent. Not sure what Arizona could offer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is because he has. Plus/Minus certainly doesn't tell all, but a third best for D on this team -1 with the ice time he's logged is solid. OEL is a +2 and Hjalmarrson a +8 and it falls from there with Chychrun already a -2, Lyubushkin -3 and Oesterle -7

I believe Demers is a bit under rated on this board.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Demers is fine he just had a rough ~10 games or so to start the season. Ideally he would not be one of our top pairing D though. So trying to upgrade him is a good idea generally, but I think we've got an imbalance of $$$ allocated to D as it is.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Demers is fine he just had a rough ~10 games or so to start the season. Ideally he would not be one of our top pairing D though. So trying to upgrade him is a good idea generally, but I think we've got an imbalance of $$$ allocated to D as it is.

Given the price-tags on high-scoring forwards are prohibitive, and given how the press and casual viewers only focus on goalscorers, nothing is as underprized as good defence- especially stay-at-home defencemen. Just look at what Hjalmarsson is making, a super player like that, for 4.1 mill - in todays NHL.

So, love the strategy of finding good defencemen. Imagine getting another Hjalmarsson or something, man, I would love it.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
To CHI:
Alex Goligoski(IR)
Jason Demers(LTIR)
Dylan Strome
Richard Panik

To ARI:
Brandon Saad
Connor Murphy(IR)

Please no.... Saad has not neen very good. Has been better of late. But no.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
To CHI:
Alex Goligoski(IR)
Jason Demers(LTIR)
Dylan Strome
Richard Panik

To ARI:
Brandon Saad
Connor Murphy(IR)

Yeah I'm not feeling this one. Saad doesn't strike me as so desirable as to be worth dumping 2 top 4 D over even if we can dump Panik.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Usually love your proposals, but not that one.
Please no.... Saad has not neen very good. Has been better of late. But no.
Yeah I'm not feeling this one. Saad doesn't strike me as so desirable as to be worth dumping 2 top 4 D over even if we can dump Panik.
Have you been drinking? Be honest lol
I think in the next 12-18 month Goligoski will be a boat anchor. I’ve seen enough of Demers and Panik and would prefer not to see either again.

Murphy will be back by January and Saad can actually score goals. He’s average 24 per season in his NHl career and he’s 26 years old.

Chychrun-Hjalmarsson was a better pairing than any pairing Goligoski was ever on here. It was behind only OEL-Demers. OEL-Murphy was as good as OEL-Demers ever was. With Oesterle and Lyubushkin playing well, I don’t think this trad snakes pur boueline any worse. Especially since Demers is LTIR.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad