News Article: Dellow: How the Winnipeg Jets are redefining the Ovi Spot [paywall]

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Watching Tuesday night's Winnipeg-Tampa Bay game, there was a sequence at 5-on-3 that had me muttering in frustration. Dustin Byfuglien had the puck on the point and made a short pass to Patrik Laine, camped out in the “Ovi Spot.” Laine did his thing but, given the relatively short distance of the pass, Louis Domingue was set for the shot and easily smothered it for a faceoff.

Winnipeg won the faceoff from that and, on the ensuing possession, set up another shot for Laine. This time it was Blake Wheeler making a seam pass to Laine. Laine blew it past Domingue, who was nowhere near set for the shot.

Dellow: How the Winnipeg Jets are redefining the Ovi Spot

Dellow is pointing out how unlike pretty much any team before we are using a forward to feed the onetimer. Also discusses the value and interchangeability of all the right shots.

Reactions: sipowicz and ps241

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Watching Tuesday night's Winnipeg-Tampa Bay game, there was a sequence at 5-on-3 that had me muttering in frustration. Dustin Byfuglien had the puck on the point and made a short pass to Patrik Laine, camped out in the “Ovi Spot.” Laine did his thing but, given the relatively short distance of the pass, Louis Domingue was set for the shot and easily smothered it for a faceoff.

Winnipeg won the faceoff from that and, on the ensuing possession, set up another shot for Laine. This time it was Blake Wheeler making a seam pass to Laine. Laine blew it past Domingue, who was nowhere near set for the shot.

Dellow: How the Winnipeg Jets are redefining the Ovi Spot

Dellow is pointing out how unlike pretty much any team before we are using a forward to feed the onetimer. Also discusses the value and interchangeability of all the right shots.
Perhaps we should throw a "Paywall" at the title of these articles. Probably save a little frustration for those that do not want a subscription and not be left feeling like they were click baited.
Paywalls are old n broken imho.

No offense meant Aavco.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Really cool article - very interesting discussion about how having 3 strong right handed shots who can all one-time a pass (Laine, Scheif and Buff) creates a situation that's very, very difficult for the PK to cover, especially when there's movement.

Reactions: Hunter368

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I took the bait and opted for the one month free trial (set you calendar to cancel the order before it is charged).

Of course we are redefining the Ovi position because we have a much more accurate shooter than Ovi is or ever was. The article has good insights but I feel the writer does not really understand Laine's ability. He is not anything we have seen before so of course we are going to redefine the Ovi position. Ovi has nothing on Laine accuracy-wise. Ovi has other strengths. Also, the writer pulls overall success events without looking how many power play opportunities are given in a season overall.

In the comments Dellow replies to a question about Buff, and how he should basically never look to shoot from there because it is "hard to score from up there".

Buff should only shoot extremely rarely on the PP from that position. The rest is a waste and a coaching mistake.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Not sure how having "paywall" lessens your frustration TBH. You still can't read it unless you subscribe. But sure whatever

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Really cool article - very interesting discussion about how having 3 strong right handed shots who can all one-time a pass (Laine, Scheif and Buff) creates a situation that's very, very difficult for the PK to cover, especially when there's movement.

All from an old school coach, set in his ways, incapable of new thinking, unwilling to play vets and loves his glue guys more than his own family :sarcasm:

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
After spending the last few seasons where HFJets were endlessly calling for heads to roll over our dismal PP it is pretty amazing that the Jets now have a power play worthy of writing positively about. :nod:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
After spending the last few seasons where HFJets were endlessly calling for heads to roll over our dismal PP it is pretty amazing that the Jets now have a power play worthy of writing positively about. :nod:

A lot of that comes down to Laine's PP minutes going up. Last year he averaged 2:43 per game. Now he's up to 3:18 per game. Last year he had 0.12 powerplay goals per game. Now he's up to 0.24 powerplay goals per game,

Maybe if the coaching staff would have just listened to HFJets all along. We would have had a good PP sooner. :laugh:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
A pass gets through and they're redefining? How about all the passes Wheeler and Laine try to force through the seam that don't work? What are they redefining? Futility? Dellow is obviously a fan of the Jets, and he's letting himself get carried away a little. Where have we seen that before?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
National media pundit with a penchant for statistical analysis praises Jets' team that is near the top of the NHL with very good advanced stats and special teams --- HFJets up in arms over the blatant favoritism. :laugh:

As opposed to jumping aboard and clapping like trained seals? Try again. The problem isn't with analysis, it's with the extravagent label he's using. Teams have been using forward-originated seam passes for years, including Ovi's team. It's nothing new, and nothing is being redefined.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
As opposed to jumping aboard and clapping like trained seals? Try again. The problem isn't with analysis, it's with the extravagent label he's using. Teams have been using forward-originated seam passes for years, including Ovi's team. It's nothing new, and nothing is being redefined.

Did you read the article before spewing your hate? The jets have already matched what only a few teams have done over whole seasons with regards to scoring goals with shots from that spot off a pass from a forward. They still have >30 games to go, so will likely do something never done as effectively before.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pundits exaggerate all the time. It's part of their business. What's curious is how offended you seem to be that the object of this particular laudatory assessment is the Winnipeg Jets.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Prior to Wheeler doing it and Ray Ferraro commenting on it, I was saying ( to myself not yelling at a tv ) walk in with it, he of course did made a great pass and Laine did what he does.

It was a good point by Ferraro but one that was identifiable for quite a while. In general but specifically on the PP we have space to drive the key/slot and do that to get a better shot option or make a pass that results in a better shot option.

This is one area I see Roslovic contributing to, he has quick hands that pair with first step & lateral quickness and the ability to process things immediately. Also the shot to take advantage if he get's overplayed.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Prior to Wheeler doing it and Ray Ferraro commenting on it, I was saying ( to myself not yelling at a tv ) walk in with it, he of course did made a great pass and Laine did what he does.

It was a good point by Ferraro but one that was identifiable for quite a while. In general but specifically on the PP we have space to drive the key/slot and do that to get a better shot option or make a pass that results in a better shot option.

This is one area I see Roslovic contributing to, he has quick hands that pair with first step & lateral quickness and the ability to process things immediately. Also the shot to take advantage if he get's overplayed.

Interesting and good thoughts IMO. Worth underlining.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Really nice seeing Maurce and Kompon taking an innovative appraoch to systems (5v5 and special teams) and succeeding. Worth noting that PK is up to 6th in the league.

Reactions: Guerzy

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Worth noting that PK is up to 6th in the league.

I see 9th

IMG_0508.jpg

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
A pass gets through and they're redefining? How about all the passes Wheeler and Laine try to force through the seam that don't work? What are they redefining? Futility? Dellow is obviously a fan of the Jets, and he's letting himself get carried away a little. Where have we seen that before?

Futility? Sitting 2nd in the league on the PP doesn't speak futility to me maybe you should look up the definition of futility. Now if you are speaking of years past than maybe your post has a bit more validity but this season futility is the last thing I'd call it.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Here's a 30% off deal for anyone who is ready to take the plunge

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets powerplay has been decent since December of last season and a big part of that is having a superweapon like Laine out there. When you look at the fancy stats: CF/60, HDCF/60, the Jets are not setting the world on fire. 10th and 14th respectively right now. Of course Laine's spot isn't considered a HD area and he scores quite a lot from there so it's not really surprising.

The PK, since it was mentioned, gives up more shot attempts (CA/60) than any other team. But in the last 25 games the Jets PK has really clamped down on HDCA/60 - 2nd best in the league (the CA/60 is still 3rd worst - quite the dichotomy).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets powerplay has been decent since December of last season and a big part of that is having a superweapon like Laine out there. When you look at the fancy stats: CF/60, HDCF/60, the Jets are not setting the world on fire. 10th and 14th respectively right now. Of course Laine's spot isn't considered a HD area and he scores quite a lot from there so it's not really surprising.

The PK, since it was mentioned, gives up more shot attempts (CA/60) than any other team. But in the last 25 games the Jets PK has really clamped down on HDCA/60 - 2nd best in the league (the CA/60 is still 3rd worst - quite the dichotomy).
The Jets PK strategy is to collapse to the middle and prevent high danger chances while allowing easier chances from the wings. Seems to be working now that they are executing it effectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad