Delete

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Can we ditch the 0-10 scale and just use negative numbers? I know a certain Paul from Winnipeg who should be somewhere around -8.

The guy never reacts to anything, unless he decides to bench a rookie. More often than not there is someone else having an even worse game out there. The team can literally be outshot to no end and at most he switches two guys, usually Ehlers and X, around. He never does anything major mid-game, even when it is needed the most.

He is just shocking.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Willie Desjardins has never made competent reactionary in game changes, and I think the only actual decision that he has made ingame in recent memory was benching Goldobin after scoring his first goal with us

I guess deciding to play Megna 15-20 minutes counts too

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
This is a tough question to answer. I need to elaborate my thoughts here.

I do think things _should_ be run from top to bottom starting from attitude and leadership. It is the coaches job trying to lit the fire and keep things on focus. Captains should (imo) be players that respond to the coach well and carry on the message to the team by their effort and attitude on ice and in the locker room, they should be well respected players as well. It is ultimately the players that respond or not, the regular players have limitations in mental and spiritual aspects as well and probably more often so than with the top of the organisation in general with some exceptions always.

Also if coach reports of some possible tightly knit problems in locker room to the GM, but the GM does not respond is it the coaches fault how things end up or GM to not make a move that costs the coach trying to do things his style. Big questions. Locker room presence and character guys are very important to keep that fire lit up and rise to flames when it's required.

Perhaps if some coaches blow out games statistically way more than the others it could be used as an emphasizer, but not as the main definition. How to handle players and locker room is a big part of coaching.
But this sub-forum is called "By The Numbers"...

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I think Mike Sullivan is really good at adjusting in game, even though he sometimes has stupid decisions pregame (for example Kunitz staying on line 1 even though he changed the line during the game(s) before and they looked better)
I also think that Dan Bylsma is really really terrible at adjusting in game because he got outcoached a lot of times in the Playoffs.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Yes and my initial post was about ranking the coaches with incrementials of 0.5 between 0-10. That is what I have been planning to do to my betting sheet. If that alone does not suffice the standards for the sub-forum alone but 'by the numbers' mean splitting actual numbers from the games to a formula then I must stand corrected here.

How to measure any of this by actual numbers from the game would be really hard. Especially when you count out the roster in hand from it to have the coaches on even ground. I guess it could only be done counting manually how they react within games and try to keep the team awake. Like I explained I think blowouts could work to a degree, it's at least reflecting a bit to the coaches ability to do the things one has to. But it's not all on the coach, he might still try but there just is no response.

If this is not up to the standards of the sub-forum you can remove this, I will just try to work it out myself then, no hard feelings here, keep the standards high. :)

ps. I don't mind if the opinions are a bit subjective, you could still draw something out of them.

It's not about removal, it's about me and others trying to come up with a quantifiable description of what you're trying to measure rather than being completely subjective.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Ingame Coaching

Ingame coaching is a function of between game coaching and preparation by the complete coaching staff plus the support staff that helps with the film work and stat work.

Basically you want to see a positive progression from the opening faceoff thru the various stages of play. How the coaching staff reacts to the first and other goals, how between period adjustments are made - should include both corrective adjustments to his team and anticipated adjustments / reactions by the opposing team.

Trust this helps.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Allright. I respected the suggestion, it was a good one. Thus the thorough response I provided regarding the matter. I think this is a bit more complex than that so while I would be interested in seeing that statistic as well I don't think that alone can dictate the measures completely.

What I would like to see in measures might be the following
-Giving ice time to "hot" players. When you see middle 6 players getting more ice if they've got the points to show.
-If things are not working, shuffle things out. For example I regarded Yeo in Minnesota being often stuck on your snake bitten star players. He was probably shaky and acting out of fear on his position and tried to force things out. Perhaps he's taken lessons to STL.
-I respect a coaches ability to take risks, like how early they can take the goalie out etc. It is a message that the coach is trying to be proactive.
-What you also said would work as one part of being able to light fire in players and keep the ship on course. It's not all on the coach, but he is responsible.

At least these things come to my mind. I don't know if you can count things like changing your playbook against different opponents and so on. So some of the input must be subjective as well.
Well, here are two tables that I maintain that may help you in that quantification:
1. Blowing leads and coming from behind:
http://morehockeystats.com/teams/strikebacks
2. Scoring goals / Allowing goals after a lead change:
http://morehockeystats.com/teams/relaxation

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Babcock is very very bad at making in game adjustments.

That said his pre-game, game plans, coaching etc. makes up for it.

But he just can't drop his player biases, no matter how poorly/how in effective players are.

some examples: Nylander was our best player in the ice last game, he played 28 seconds in overtime. Playing Komarov and Hyman on a line together in 3 on 3 ot.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Q is the best line matching coach in the league.

His coaching against Boudreau a couple years ago was nothing short of a clinic (which bodes well for this year IMO).

There's probably also something to be said for the Hawks absolutely ridiculous record late in playoff series (32-8 from Game 5 onwards) that likely has something to do with being able to exploit matchups etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad