Delaying "Further Personnel decisions"

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Sammy,Bert and Cleary are here for the duration unless they get on IR.

Eaves, Emmerton, Tootoo are the logical ones to move but at this point in the season nobody wants them. So we/Kenny are in a box and the ones who are getting screwed are Gus and Tatar.

I named 6 players- not one of them is better than Gus or Tatar.And the signing of Cleary for no apparent reason once we were rid of that stone was just icing on the cake

Last edited by a moderator:

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Sammy,Bert and Cleary are here for the duration unless they get on IR.

Eaves, Emmerton, Tootoo are the logical ones to move but at this point in the season nobody wants them. So we/Kenny are in a box and the ones who are getting screwed are Gus and Tatar.

I named 6 players- not one of them is better than Gus or Tatar. And the signing of Cleary for no apparent reason once we were rid of that stone was just icing on the cake

Emmerton is getting ice to be showcased I believe. I hope Eaves and Toots can get the same treatment so they can look like a valuable commodity.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedWingsNow*

So strange that they didn't buy out Tootoo.

I like Tootoo and wish we used him.
But how does the GM not look at the way Tootoo was used and buy him out?
Ahead of Colaiacovo, too, IMO.

Maybe the franchise wants to save a buyout for Franzen this year --Even so, based on how the coach used players last year, Tootoo, Sammy and Bertuzzi should have been buyout candidates before Colaiacovo.

3 guys benched in the playoffs vs one guy who played every game in the Chicago series.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Maybe the franchise wants to save a buyout for Franzen this year --Even so, based on how the coach used players last year, Tootoo, Sammy and Bertuzzi should have been buyout candidates before Colaiacovo.

Sammy would have fought his buyout due to health, according to all of the media reports.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2) The other teams are well aware of the cap situation in Detroit. Since there is no immediate need to add a depth player at this point, they can hope to wait out the process and hope that Holland is forced to expose a player through the waiver process and share salary with Detroit at the cost of zero assets to acquire the player

I think one trick could work at trade-negotiations. And that's would be retained salary.

Like, if we put Eaves on waivers and no one claims him, we'll get that 275k cap penalty.

But if we offer retaining that same amount 275k of that salary and gain a low-round draft pick on a trade, that's a better deal for us.

Also, it's a better deal for the buyer, because they'll get Eaves cheaper, at 925k cost both salary and caphit.

Same can be done with Tootoo. No one is interested in him with his current salary, but retaining some salary could land some asset home (low pick again).

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I have a bad feeling Nyquist and/or Tatar gets traded for a defenseman for Holland's last hoorah at a Cup Run with his favorite band of wiley vets.

And how many times has it been said that Nyquist and/or Tatar will be traded? How many times has it been proven untrue? Why would Holland trade for a defenseman when the team has a capable defense about which he raves? Which important veterans are so old that they won't be around in two years?

None of what you've said makes any sense. Emmerton and Tootoo will go, and perhaps Eaves if nobody else is injured.

It's funny how even the most mundane article can whip people into a frenzy.

Edit: After reading the rest of this thread, I realize that I forgot this was HF. I think I'll not get involved.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Emmerton and Bert looked good out there Wed. I wouldn't be surprised if they were shipped out with a 3rd/4th rounder with them.

It would be a dream come true to dump Sammy and Tootoo and move up Gus and play Tats.

crashman

I like Tootoo and wish we used him.
But how does the GM not look at the way Tootoo was used and buy him out?
Ahead of Colaiacovo, too, IMO.

3 guys benched in the playoffs vs one guy who played every game in the Chicago series.

I agree, but I think Bert and Sammy weren't used because they weren't in "game shape", because of being injured all season.

I'm surprised that not many people here ***** about Tootoo, seeing as he's a 4th liner that was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, and makes a hair under $2m. If fighting goes away, he becomes even more of a problem because his gritty game doesn't outweigh the defensive liability that he presents.

Personally, I think they planned on using the buy-out on Sammy but he complicated things (using his "injured" status) and then it was just too late.

It might be a blessing in disguise if Franzen doesn't pull his weight this year, they could use the remaining buy-out on him. I'm just not sure what good it does if the cap goes up and there's nobody worthy of signing in his place, defenseman or forward.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
when helm is healthy, emmerton is waived, goes to GR because no one wants him, and can come back once helm is injured again.

eaves is wavied when healthy. he's either picked up or plays in GR also

tootoo is harder - his salary may make him untradable (even for a 6th or something). guess he could get waived too in that case.

tatar and nyquist dont have spots til injuries strike. shouldn't be too long before a few groins are pulled or berts back acts up again. its gonna take probably more than two injuries to get to nyquist in the lineup though. could really see him spending most of the year in GR because once they bring him up for two games, their hands are tied even moreso

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
. its gonna take probably more than two injuries to get to nyquist in the lineup though. could really see him spending most of the year in GR because once they bring him up for two games, their hands are tied even moreso

I hope for everyone's sake on this board, that you are dead wrong.

If Nyquist plays more than 30 games on the Griffins this year I will never post on this board again. You can quote that post and keep me to it if you want.

I know I've said some **** before, but I'm standing by this.

Last edited:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Let's see

Helm replaces Emmerton
You need one player to go down for Tatar. No way does Nyquist get brought up while Tatar is still in the press box.
Finally you need another player to go down and put on LTIR so Nyquist can get brought back.

A minimum of two injuries in order for Nyquist to get brought up. The injury also has to be pretty major since he only has two games left before he loses his ability to avoid being put on waivers.

It's gonna be very tough for Nyquist to crack the lineup if you are trying to get him on the team through attrition.

Trading away players is the only option where Nyquist has a realistic shot of spending the majority of the season with the Wings.

He is in a very bad situation and i see him spending the majority of the year down in GR. Do you really expect Holland to trade anyone?

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Let's see

Helm replaces Emmerton
You need one player to go down for Tatar. No way does Nyquist get brought up while Tatar is still in the press box.
Finally you need another player to go down and put on LTIR so Nyquist can get brought back.

A minimum of two injuries in order for Nyquist to get brought up. The injury also has to be pretty major since he only has two games left before he loses his ability to avoid being put on waivers.

It's gonna be very tough for Nyquist to crack the lineup if you are trying to get him on the team through attrition.

Trading away players is the only option where Nyquist has a realistic shot of spending the majority of the season with the Wings.

He is in a very bad situation and i see him spending the majority of the year down in GR. Do you really expect Holland to trade anyone?

And this is really a shame. Nyquist wasting a year of his career in the AHL because of poor roster management. You can't blame a guy for being bitter after that, especially when he's better than 6 guys on the parent club

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And this is really a shame. Nyquist wasting a year of his career in the AHL because of poor roster management. You can't blame a guy for being bitter after that, especially when he's better than 6 guys on the parent club

While a long shot he was also invited to the Swedish Olympic camp. Imagine how he feels about not being able to make his case for that team in the NHL. It was going to be hard enough, I would be really angry about that if I was him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
you cant be any less of a man and more of a weasel then to hold a player down because if he plays two mor egames you wont be able to anymore, knowing full well he helps the team more then anyone else in our bottom 6...

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I'm not completely against getting a solid Dman for Tatar.

What I am afraid of his him being traded for some former red wing/has been.

This something Holland really needs to explore. I think Kindl is going to be very solid and expect a big leap this year however Smith has me worried. While Tatar looks to be a very exciting prospect, does he help us more than a top 4 dman (we would likely use a high end pick as well in the deal)? I am not so sure that he does. Yes I would rather have him than Cleary, Sammy, Bert etc but in reality, that isnt going to happen and even with those guys we are fairly close to being a legit contender. We were all thinking this was the year Gus and Tatar were up for good, but if their isnt the right value for those guys out there, I guess we wait one more year, hopefully they continue to develop and not plateau in the roles they are currently in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->