Delaying "Further Personnel decisions"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Meanwhile, the placement of Helm and Patrick Eaves on the long term injured list merely postpones some further personnel decisions, Holland said. He has said previously that he continues to talk to other general managers about trade possibilities.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131002/SPORTS0103/310020038#ixzz2gcwMePR7

I remember reading this article the other day, and I am just wondering....

What do you guys think are going to be the "further personnel decisions" that Holland makes later this season?

I have a bad feeling Nyquist and/or Tatar gets traded for a defenseman for Holland's last hoorah at a Cup Run with his favorite band of wiley vets.

I mean... somebody's gotta go right?

I can't really see any of Samuelsson, Cleary, or Bertuzzi having much trade value.

No one wanted Emmerton off waivers. Doesn't seem like anyone really wants Tootoo either.

So what the hell is going to happen?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Probably means Tootoo is looking to be dealt, along with Emmerton. Maybe Eaves gets traded.

If a deal comes along for an upgrade, I'm sure Tatar is on the block as well, as much as I don't like it.

Hey, maybe Holland surprises us all and makes a good trade for the future and present?

RedWingsNow*

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131002/SPORTS0103/310020038#ixzz2gcwMePR7

I remember reading this article the other day, and I am just wondering....

What do you guys think are going to be the "further personnel decisions" that Holland makes later this season?

I have a bad feeling Nyquist and/or Tatar gets traded for a defenseman for Holland's last hoorah at a Cup Run with his favorite band of wiley vets.

I mean... somebody's gotta go right?

I can't really see any of Samuelsson, Cleary, or Bertuzzi having much trade value.

No one wanted Emmerton off waivers. Doesn't seem like anyone really wants Tootoo either.

So what the hell is going to happen?

I think the cap issue may take care of itself with LTIR.
The roster issue will continue to be a problem.

I can't see Nyquist being traded. Maybe Tatar. I'm actually hoping for Tatar to get traded and win a couple cups on his new team:)

But I think what's going to happen is that, barring more long term injuries -- Eaves and Emmerton will be gone.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I think the cap issue may take care of itself with LTIR.
The roster issue will continue to be a problem.

I can't see Nyquist being traded. Maybe Tatar. I'm actually hoping for Tatar to get traded and win a couple cups on his new team:)

But I think what's going to happen is that, barring more long term injuries -- Eaves and Emmerton will be gone.

The two dirt cheap players who can actually skate and play PK. A1 roster management Kenny :shakehead:

I guess we can count out making a move at the deadline if we're gonna be up against the cap as well.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
The two dirt cheap players who can actually skate and play PK. A1 roster management Kenny :shakehead:

I guess we can count out making a move at the deadline if we're gonna be up against the cap as well.

Well no one is going to want the top 6 player in Cleary, or Bertuzzi, or Samulessom...so those are the trade options.

Detroit will deal the players that have value to another team, and keep the crap that makes them " a good place to play, mgt is amazing"...(they keep signing me to a contract)

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
If no trade is made I could both Eaves and Emmerton waived and sent to Grand Rapids. At this point I would be trying to trade any bottom sixer for a late draft pick just to make room.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can excel... I have him in my keeper pool!

No hopefully babcock gets his head out of his donkey sized backend and starts appreciating what the kid can bring to the table.

A great coach uses guys to best achieve. Think Mike has forgotten that.

I never wish for injuries but just a couple more nick ups and will be no choice:)

Last edited:

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Do we even have cap room to make any sort of trade?

They are trying to make a trade so that we can clear cap room and roster space. I don't think they will be bringing on any additional big salaries, especially when you look at the forwards that we are rumored to be shopping (Eaves, Tootoo).

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Tootoo doesn't seem to draw any interest or he'd already be gone

Eaves probably doesn't have any value after the past couple of years

Nobody wanted Emmerton

Nobody other than Detroit was willing to pay Cleary

What does that leave as trade bait players? But Gus and Tatar don't have much salary and they both are really top 6 players on the Wings. Kenny put himself in a box with the Cleary signing and Sammy the year before. Only players he can move are players we can't afford to lose.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
They are trying to make a trade so that we can clear cap room and roster space. I don't think they will be bringing on any additional big salaries, especially when you look at the forwards that we are rumored to be shopping (Eaves, Tootoo).

I should have included I was meaning Tatar. Trading him doesnt move much salry

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Tootoo doesn't seem to draw any interest or he'd already be gone

Eaves probably doesn't have any value after the past couple of years

Nobody wanted Emmerton

Nobody other than Detroit was willing to pay Cleary

What does that leave as trade bait players? But Gus and Tatar don't have much salary and they both are really top 6 players on the Wings. Kenny put himself in a box with the Cleary signing and Sammy the year before. Only players he can move are players we can't afford to lose.

I think this sums it up nicely. The only guys who could have trade value and have salaries that would make an impact on the cap are d-men: Smith, Kindl and Quincey. We are thin on defense so those moves seem unlikely. Being a pack rat could make it very difficult for Holland to solve the roster crunch he created for himself.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Why would you bench/demote your kids, if you are gonna showcase them for a trade?

Of course he is trying to trade that dead weight, like Tootoo.

I would be ready to let him go and retaing 500k of his salary. That's would smaller problem than 975k waiver penalty.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Holland is going to have to give up good assets if he wants to get rid of the bad players. Draft picks will have to be added in order to get people to take his garbage. Otherwise he has no choice but to get rid of the good players like Tatar.

Factor in that GM's know the situation Kenmy is in, and well it's probably not going to end well.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Well moving off Sammy and Cleary are pipe dreams so I'd waive Emmerton and probably Eaves. I like Eaves but he's just caught up in the numbers as I think we should keep Tootoo.

We can use Miller or whoever at 4th line C. I'm sure he can just as easily lose 60% of faceoffs like Emmerton does.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
At this point, Detroit has very little leverage in any trade discussions for a number of reason:

1) It's early in the season and many teams are healthy and rested so the demand is weaker than it would be at the middle of season where teams have a greater demand to find an injury replacement or depth

2) The other teams are well aware of the cap situation in Detroit. Since there is no immediate need to add a depth player at this point, they can hope to wait out the process and hope that Holland is forced to expose a player through the waiver process and share salary with Detroit at the cost of zero assets to acquire the player

3) The value of the players that we are looking to move (Sammuelson, Bertuzzi, Tootoo, Eaves) are relatively expensive (3M, 2M, 2M, 1.2M respectively) for the level of play or role that they could be expected to play. Most of these players are 3rd scoring line, or checking/penalty killers which either are very inexpensive free market assets, or reserved for young promising prospects to gain experience. Since their are all in the sunset of their careers, there is no reason to add an market overvalued player with no upside. One caveat to this is that they are all on short term contracts, which means if a team is looking to free up cap space in the immediate near team, they could send a long-term contract at a higher rate for a package of expiring contracts to free up future cap space to sign an soon-to-be free agent. Although this could potentially saddle the Wings with a less than desirable contract for a long period of time

4) Bertuzzi and Sammuelson both have NTC in their contract and I doubt either would waive their final year of their contracts at this point.

At this point, I cannot see any trades happening in the near term and would be very hard pressed to imagine a workable solution that didn't involve draft picks, Tootoo, and Eaves and leaving us still with Sammy and Bert (and Cleary). This may very well come at the expense of Tatar and Nyquist.

RedWingsNow*

At this point, Detroit has very little leverage in any trade discussions for a number of reason:

1) It's early in the season and many teams are healthy and rested so the demand is weaker than it would be at the middle of season where teams have a greater demand to find an injury replacement or depth

2) The other teams are well aware of the cap situation in Detroit. Since there is no immediate need to add a depth player at this point, they can hope to wait out the process and hope that Holland is forced to expose a player through the waiver process and share salary with Detroit at the cost of zero assets to acquire the player

3) The value of the players that we are looking to move (Sammuelson, Bertuzzi, Tootoo, Eaves) are relatively expensive (3M, 2M, 2M, 1.2M respectively) for the level of play or role that they could be expected to play. Most of these players are 3rd scoring line, or checking/penalty killers which either are very inexpensive free market assets, or reserved for young promising prospects to gain experience. Since their are all in the sunset of their careers, there is no reason to add an market overvalued player with no upside. One caveat to this is that they are all on short term contracts, which means if a team is looking to free up cap space in the immediate near team, they could send a long-term contract at a higher rate for a package of expiring contracts to free up future cap space to sign an soon-to-be free agent. Although this could potentially saddle the Wings with a less than desirable contract for a long period of time

4) Bertuzzi and Sammuelson both have NTC in their contract and I doubt either would waive their final year of their contracts at this point.

At this point, I cannot see any trades happening in the near term and would be very hard pressed to imagine a workable solution that didn't involve draft picks, Tootoo, and Eaves and leaving us still with Sammy and Bert (and Cleary). This may very well come at the expense of Tatar and Nyquist.

Well-thought out and rational post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->