Boston Bruins Delaware North needs to address the ice issues at TD Garden

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
The ice plant was covered in the original post. Corners were cut as the construction was way over budget back in 1995 ( anyone trying to get to Level 9 knows the nightmare of the elevator ). Bob Ryan described the new Garden as the Chevy Chevette of all the arenas built then. Jacobs fired the person responsible but the damage was done.

I am curious how the Hub on Causeway is going to pan out.
I was addressing the few who thought the majority of the ice conditions rested with the
resurfacing equipment... :)

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
A few years ago I remember reading about problems that Edmonton (I believe...not 100%
certain after all these years) was having with its ice surface. If memory serves a big part of
the problem at the time was the type of water they were using. I forget whether they went
to extra filtering or used distilled water....but whatever it was they improved the quality
of the ice by changing the type of water used for making ice.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The ice issues in Brooklyn made Bettman reverse his stand on the Islanders going back to Uniondale.
But whast cant hey do about the Bruins situation? They don't exactly have the "luxury" of switching arenas.

What I'm getting at, is can the league step in during the offseason and force TD Garden to fix the problems or risk forfeiting games, etc.?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The league obviously has to be cognizant that not every problem with the Garden ice can be fixed with the wave of a magic wand, so I doubt they'd really pounce on this. Plus, at least the Bruins haven't had to delay a game due to ice problems in recent history...IIRC, Carolina had to schedule a triple-header against Detroit last year because of their ice problems. (I may be totally mixing up the problems, but it happened to someone, somewhere, and there was no better scheduling solution than a triple header including two games with both teams playing B2B in the offending arena.)

What seems to me to be more likely is that the league could more subtly threaten JJ and the crew with removal of perks such as the Winter Classic. As it stands now, from what I understand, we're basically ineligible for events like the Draft and the ASG because we don't have a nearby convention center. But removing those marquee events, and perhaps having the Bruins play in China, might be the main leverage the league has.

That said, the Bruins are, in my uneducated guess, probably one of the bigger national US TV draws, so the Bruins have some leverage too - the league could be shooting themselves in the foot. Our fans are more spread out than, say, Vegas or Arizona. That's not to say that there aren't other easy substitutes - any of the US Original 4 plus Pennsylvania can be a good TV draw...at least that's what I assume, since NBC puts them on TV all the time.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What seems to me to be more likely is that the league could more subtly threaten JJ and the crew with removal of perks such as the Winter Classic. As it stands now, from what I understand, we're basically ineligible for events like the Draft and the ASG because we don't have a nearby convention center. But removing those marquee events, and perhaps having the Bruins play in China, might be the main leverage the league has.

Location of the convention center is not the issue - it is the timing of the ASG weekend that coincides with one of the biggest conventions that Boston holds every year.

https://signatureboston.com/events/2019-01-01

The national dental convention fills up nearly every hotel in the city, the ASG certainly would not.

The draft doesn't need a convention center - they usually have an outdoor Fan Fest.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sounds like we will finally get the NBA all star game in 2022. Good info on the NHL one thanks Fenway. NHL is so gimmicky these days I don't even care if it never comes back. Not sure whats wrong with East vs West. I've always wanted to go to a home run derby hope baseball comes back.

But you knew the MLB would be dicks and wait at least 40 years to return to Fenway making sure to hit every other stadium first even if that was the most memorable one ever. When it does return it will probably be 10x more expensive to get a ticket here than to travel to one in another city before then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->