Confirmed with Link: Del Zotto to Anaheim for Luke Schenn and a 2020 7th round pick; Schenn goes to Utica

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Seems that Schenn has shown more "push back" in a few games than Gudbranson did in three years and is threatening to become a fan favourite. I'd say he's worth re-signing as a depth guy but let's not go overboard on the contract offers. The club has already too much cap allocated to the likes of Ericksson, Schaller, Spooner, and Beagle.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Seems that Schenn has shown more "push back" in a few games than Gudbranson did in three years and is threatening to become a fan favourite. I'd say he's worth re-signing as a depth guy but let's not go overboard on the contract offers. The club has already too much cap allocated to the likes of Ericksson, Schaller, Spooner, and Beagle.
Beagle is at least somewhat alright for now. Those others, blech.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
2 year deal with the bulk of the money from bonuses based on games played with allowances for injuries (if that’s possible).

Schenn was ready to hang them up and now has a new lease on his career.

Having a properly structured contract will be key to keeping this feel good story going maybe indefinitely (he’s only 29).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
2 year deal with the bulk of the money from bonuses based on games played with allowances for injuries (if that’s possible).

Having a properly structured contract will be key to keeping this feel good story going maybe indefinitely (he’s only 29).
I don’t believe bonuses are permitted in contracts under age 35.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's depressing is that the Canucks could probably have acquired Schenn as a veteran right-side d-man at any point in the last three seasons for a fraction of the cost of trading for Gudbranson.

And Jared McCann, who was drafted almost 20 spots after Virtanen, now up to 19 goals on the season, including a highlight reel number the other night. It ain't fair I tell you.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I don’t believe bonuses are permitted in contracts under age 35.

StreetHawk is right. No conditional bonuses are allowed unless A) 35+ contract (see Chara's recent contract) or B) ELC bonuses which can only be from the standardized list of bonuses that can be negotiated for (i.e schedule A/schedule B bonuses)—usually only highly drafted prospects get offered these (EP, Boeser).

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
What's depressing is that the Canucks could probably have acquired Schenn as a veteran right-side d-man at any point in the last three seasons for a fraction of the cost of trading for Gudbranson.

And Jared McCann, who was drafted almost 20 spots after Virtanen, now up to 19 goals on the season, including a highlight reel number the other night. It ain't fair I tell you.

Yes. We could have had the bottom pairing tough d-man that Gudbranson couldn't even accomplish *AND* have Jared McCann and likely Alex Debrincat right now. With those two, we're looking like one hell of a fun team looking forward (D-core notwithstanding).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When the time came to extend gudbranson last season I posted that he seemed destined to end up like Schenn. Both top 5 picks playing defensive heavy games in a faster league now. Schenn ended up doing a 2 year deal worth $1.25 mill per after his big deal with Philly expired when he was around 26-27 with 8 years of experience. Guddy went back to junior after his draft year and would have done 7 years in the NHL. uFA at age 26 if he opted. Surprised at the time guys like Kypreos was saying $5 million per?

There was a reason why gudbranson agent didn’t direct his client to ufa IMO. Market likely wasn’t going to be there.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

omg, crushing, i feel like jumping off a bridge

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
OK. I get the fact that losing McCann isn't going to put a Canuck fan on suicide watch. After all the Panthers traded him too. But when you consider the Canucks could easily have a had third line of McCann flanked by Matthew Tkachuk and Michael Nylande; and used that second rounder they lost on the Gudbranson trade on a kid like Alex Debrincat....well that is crushing and worthy of jumping off a bride, figuratively speaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad