DEL: DEL has a new media partner for the 2016/17 season

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
A couple of days ago the DEL announced that "Deutsche Telekom" will be the new media partner for the 16/17 season.

Link in German

Apparently they will show all games live and in HD on Entertain and other services, and they plan to show some games in free-tv as well.
Further deatils will be disclosed at a later date.

I don't know what that means for servus tv, but hopefully it will lead to both, bigger exposure of hockey in Germany and more money for the teams.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Always nice to see European hockey developing even further.

As an avid hockey fan who simply enjoys watching that beautiful sport, my biggest hope is that DEL will be made more easily accessible for everyone, just like KHL for example.

SHL and Allsvenskan can be watched online with subscriptions on Cmore. KHL can be watched mainly on laola1.tv for free or you can buy subscriptions on the official website for very reasonable prices as well. It would be nice to have something similar for DEL for people outside of Germany.

I know laola1.tv streams games from time to time but it's very scarce. I am speaking of some kind of a subscription system where you pay for a game or package and watch whatever you want. This way, the league would also generate some money - not much though, I guess, but still, profit is profit.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
Telekom already show the German basketball league games and if that's anything to go by a season pass will cost around €120. I think that's in the same ballpark as NHL Gamecenter?
If they can pull off a decent production I would probably shell out for it (Watching all of my team's games you say ? Well yes please :naughty:) but if it turns out to be something like the Laola1 Tuesday night streams... ehhh. I just hope they'll keep airing one game a week for free so the sport doesn't completely vanish from the general public again like before ServusTV showed up.

SHL and Allsvenskan can be watched online with subscriptions on Cmore. KHL can be watched mainly on laola1.tv for free or you can buy subscriptions on the official website for very reasonable prices as well. It would be nice to have something similar for DEL for people outside of Germany.
For what it's worth, I checked Telekom's basketball stream FAQ and it says that the streams are generally accessible from everywhere although "certain games may be blocked out". Make of that what you will.

Car2014

Dec 5, 2014
Germany
The way it currently works for the BBL (German basketball league) is that Telekom customers get it for free, while if you aren't one, you can subscribe for €9.95/month if you sign up for a year (€14.95 if you take the monthly option). They also show all German Euroleague games plus some from other teams and some NBA games and also had some coverage of international tournaments involving national teams.
So it wouldn't surprise me if they bought more hockey rights.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I know laola1.tv streams games from time to time but it's very scarce. I am speaking of some kind of a subscription system where you pay for a game or package and watch whatever you want. This way, the league would also generate some money - not much though, I guess, but still, profit is profit.

I'm not sure if I would consider half the games that are shown to be scarce ;)
As of right now, there is one game on Friday streamed on laola1.tv, and one game on Sunday shown on ServusTV on tv. Additionally there is the odd Tuesday "fan game" streamed on laola1.tv, which probably means that over half of the games of the regular season that you can watch in some capacity run on laola1.tv.

Having all the games of every team be available would be a great thing. Especially if the free-tv game of the week would stay. Even if Telekom is a huge company, Entertain is rather small when compared to the tv-market as a whole, so there better be some free-tv games or we are pretty much back to the days where hockey was only on pay-tv, which hurt the league big time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is this channel more popular than Servus TV? I hope this is the case for two things.

1) That this is the case to get hockey more air time, leading to more people becoming fans, resulting in more people playing the sport.

2) I hope its more popular because I loved the navigation and great easy load speeds for Servus. I always watch DEL game highlights/stream when I have time, and it only takes 10 seconds in 720p on most occasions for either one. Compare this to the old NHL.com where I have to sit there and let it load for a couple of minutes to actually see highlights for one freakin' game.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Is this channel more popular than Servus TV? I hope this is the case for two things.

1) That this is the case to get hockey more air time, leading to more people becoming fans, resulting in more people playing the sport.

2) I hope its more popular because I loved the navigation and great easy load speeds for Servus. I always watch DEL game highlights/stream when I have time, and it only takes 10 seconds in 720p on most occasions for either one. Compare this to the old NHL.com where I have to sit there and let it load for a couple of minutes to actually see highlights for one freakin' game.

Not really, I think. Servus TV is free TV which most people have access to, but it doesn't really have that many viewers. Entertain, the pay TV, offered by Telekom had roughly 2.3 million subscribers last I heard.
If they manage to increase the exposure of the public to ice hockey will depend on who they get as a partner for free TV and what kind of streaming offers they make.

Since I am an Entertain subscriber it won't matter much to me, but I hope they will offer something similar to NHL Game Center. There are still many question marks about how this will shape up, but hopefully they don't screw it up.

Realize

Not really, I think. Servus TV is free TV which most people have access to, but it doesn't really have that many viewers. Entertain, the pay TV, offered by Telekom had roughly 2.3 million subscribers last I heard.
If they manage to increase the exposure of the public to ice hockey will depend on who they get as a partner for free TV and what kind of streaming offers they make.

Since I am an Entertain subscriber it won't matter much to me, but I hope they will offer something similar to NHL Game Center. There are still many question marks about how this will shape up, but hopefully they don't screw it up.

The only problem on entertain is : If you wan't a good quality (HD), it's quite expensive. My parents still have entertain and my eyes are bleeding everytime I am watching TV with them in SD compared to my HD SAT channels..

Absolutely not a fan of Entertain even I like that you will be able to see many games as it seems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad