DEL 2020-2021 (Eisbären Berlin win championship)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Update: The DEL clubs have come to the opinion that 20% is not financially viable and that the league start will have to be delayed further if the German government doesn't come up with help. The league wants to have this sorted out until October 2nd, otherwise the November date won't hold.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Los Angeles Kings loan five prospects to Eisbären Berlin.

Forwards:
Alex Turcotte
Tyler Madden
Aidan Dudas
Akil Thomas

Goaltender:
Jacob Ingham

Pretty logical move. None of those guys would get to play or even practice in North America until November/December this year, so it makes sense for AEG loaning them to Berlin (also AEG owned) since they officially started their team practice activities today.
Though it'd be interesting to know if all of those players would be registered to play, if the DEL restarts before practice start in North America. With those 5 prospects, they'd be at the 11 player import cap with no wriggle room for bringing in another import, if they so desire.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Update: The DEL clubs have come to the opinion that 20% is not financially viable and that the league start will have to be delayed further if the German government doesn't come up with help. The league wants to have this sorted out until October 2nd, otherwise the November date won't hold.

Meant to reply to this yesterday, actually. With the October Ultimatum, the League has probably shot themselves in the foot. I listened to the Shorthanded news podcast there, and they discussed this topic at length, with the conclusion that thanks to the Ultimatum, the league can only lose in this scenario. They started receiving concessions in Northrhine-Westphalia already, but deemed them insufficient almost immediately (granted, they do have a point) and are now demanding more or essentially angling the open ended threat of abandoning the season. The problem is, that politics currently has bigger fish to fry than a league that didnt really seek any discourse until September, and, much more importantly, the DEL2 and all leagues below have accepted the position and have committed to playing. So if the DEL doesnt get their guaranteees worth €60M they'll either have to play with the hand that they are dealt (currently the pathway is being discussed that 20% are allowed at sports events and if everything goes pitch perfect, that Number can increase to 30-40% by end of October. Mind you Football is currently the only sport playing, and none of the other team sports are planning to start before the end of October, so its all on the shoulders of 1 sport) or sit out and face the end of the league as a whole, since the second tier is playing. Can't see the league keeping any fan/public support in that case.

The €60 million is the projected income from game days, including tickets, merchandise (primarily a gameday driven economy) and concessions (depending on the arena deals), based on conservative estimates, that is required to make the season worthwhile/prevent mass bankruptcy in the league. Essentially the League is looking for a commitment from the federal and regional governments that the €60million can be recouped by way of firm commitments towards fans returning to stadia at sustainable levels and that any games that will be played behind closed doors/with unsustainable capacity limitations will be compensated by government grants.
So far the government has made only € 800.000 per team available (which is a drop in the ocean) and even at that, there is major uncertainty if all teams (if any) can even avail of this financial package, due to stipulations and ambiguities regarding financial losses in the last 2 years.

Without this commitment, by October 2nd, the League will not start on 13.11.2020. Though with the very short ultimatum, the league may have played its hand, and shot itself in the foot at the same time, since the DEL2 have announced they will play regardless of the stance of the DEL. I think currently the pathway is being discussed that 20% are allowed at sports events and if everything goes pitch perfect, that Number can increase to 30-40% by end of October. Mind you Football is currently the only sport playing, and none of the other team sports are planning to start before the end of October.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
Though it'd be interesting to know if all of those players would be registered to play, if the DEL restarts before practice start in North America. With those 5 prospects, they'd be at the 11 player import cap with no wriggle room for bringing in another import, if they so desire.
Dudas' brother played for Landshut and holds both Canadian and German nationalities, maybe there's a way there for him at least if they can be bothered to go through the formalities for a loan player. That said, I took the loans to mean they get to practice with the team and take part in scrimmages and whatnot, but I didn't think they'd actually show up on the roster for a regular season game?

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Dudas' brother played for Landshut and holds both Canadian and German nationalities, maybe there's a way there for him at least if they can be bothered to go through the formalities for a loan player. That said, I took the loans to mean they get to practice with the team and take part in scrimmages and whatnot, but I didn't think they'd actually show up on the roster for a regular season game?

Thats the question really. I would have understood it that way as well, but with the uncertainty of when the NHL (let alone the AHL) are restarting, we could very well see it happening. Especially since the loanees that were sent to the KHL and SHL have already played in the first few games of the season.

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
DEL won't start on november 13th:
PENNY DEL kann am 13. November 2020 nicht starten

The PENNY DEL cannot start the new season on November 13th. This was decided by the clubs after a video conference lasting several hours.
Decisive for this decision is the still missing planning security for the clubs in connection with the political requirements to allow a maximum of 20 percent of the spectator capacity as well as the resulting economic conditions, which make a season start in about 6 weeks impossible.
"We have always communicated very clearly and transparently that we cannot start the season under the current conditions and with the uncertainty of whether and to what extent the necessary financial support for the clubs will come. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in this regard to date. Therefore, there was no alternative to this decision, even though it is very difficult for us," says Gernot Tripcke, Managing Director of PENNY DEL.
The clubs have also agreed that further decisions regarding the season will be made by mid-November at the latest. The declared goal is to realize a season start in the second half of December, hopefully under more positive economic conditions by then.
"Everyone involved is aware of this extraordinarily difficult situation. We will continue to do everything possible to ensure that we can start the new season. It is still necessary to do everything in our power to enable clubs to play ice hockey responsibly," Tripcke continued.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016

If the DEL2 is still going ahead and starting on 13 November, the DEL can only loose with this decision. I know that the DEL2 budgets are smaller and that the calculations are easier to realise for the 2nd tier, but it sends really bad signals if the DEL2 starts playing and the DEL sits about and is moping about the restrictions.
The fact of the matter is, that the DEL went into the summer very blue eyed thinking they were free to resume without any major restrictions in October, because they had chalked up some brownie points for suspending play as the first professional league in Germany, when in fact the league AND ITS TEAMS should have been working on a plan B, to reduce expenditures and make it viable to play the season in front of vastly reduced crowds.
I'd loved to be proven wrong, but in my opinion, if the DEL is solely banking on loosened restrictions by mid-December, which is a) unlikely given the current trends all over Europe and b) won't be anywhere near the 50-60% capacity allowance the league wants (wouldnt be surprised if we see a max of 30% for December -February), all the while the DEL2 is playing, then I wouldnt be surprised if the DEL season is cancelled by the end of November, with the political powers that be offering little sympathies by way of financial aid.
Furthermore, it seems that the new players union, via its Founder Moritz Mueller, have also voiced their displeasure of the DEL's decision to postpone the season again, and Mueller himself has stated on an instagram post that he doesnt seem to see a willingness in the sport to make it work no matter what, while all other minor sports in Germany try to get back up, despite struggling under the same restrictions, such as Handball, Basketball. Its interesting that he referred to Ice Hockey as a whole, even though the lower leagues are giving firm dates to resume, so clearly he is speaking about the DEL as an entity).

Just curious how this affects the Champions Hockey League.
At this stage I wouldnt be surprised if the season is cancelled in the near future. Ice hockey isnt as big as football, so getting exemptions to national quarantine rules are less likely and given the condesnsed calendar most leagues will already be operating on, there is little scope to move 4 games (2 games per week) around at a moments notice, and still be able to finish a full season including play-offs in time for the IIHF World Championships. And the further the teams get, the larger that number will grow.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
At this stage I wouldnt be surprised if the season is cancelled in the near future. Ice hockey isnt as big as football, so getting exemptions to national quarantine rules are less likely and given the condesnsed calendar most leagues will already be operating on, there is little scope to move 4 games (2 games per week) around at a moments notice, and still be able to finish a full season including play-offs in time for the IIHF World Championships. And the further the teams get, the larger that number will grow.
As of now, the British club is already withdrawn. The Czechs having massive problems with COVID. Likely Germans will not play by November. Will they cancel the games with GER/CZ teams?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't think it's much different to the domestic league, either you can play at all or you can't.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Anyone know how I can get a Stützle Manheim jersey? I'd prefer the blue regular jersey over the CHL jersey as I think the regular is a little more unique, though in a pinch I would settle for the CHL one. I did find the CHL shop, but they don't have embroidered jerseys which is definitely what I want.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Moritz Seider will not play for Mannheim after all.

detroit probably wants him to get game time under his belt and since the DEL doesn’t seem to start any time soon, it’s hardly surprising that they end this loan now. The NHL is targeting a return in January, so really you’d expect training camps to start in and around late November/early December and there is no guarantee that the DEL will have started by then...

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
detroit probably wants him to get game time under his belt and since the DEL doesn’t seem to start any time soon, it’s hardly surprising that they end this loan now. The NHL is targeting a return in January, so really you’d expect training camps to start in and around late November/early December and there is no guarantee that the DEL will have started by then...

That's right. Now they're loaning him to Sweden instead.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Just curious how this affects the Champions Hockey League.

And 10 days later we have our answer. The CHL season has been cancelled (Statement from the DEL wenbsite in German) due to the impact of the pandemic, in both an organizational and financial capacity for the organisers and teams. Additionally a lot of games were under sever threats of cancellation already, due to travel restrictions across participating nations. There is hope that situation will have stabilised for the CHL to return in 2021/2022.

You gotta feel for DEL fans right now. The start of the domestic season is pushed out until, maybe mid-december, but that likely won't go ahead unless the league deems it financially workable (I can't see how the general situation is going to improve between now December) and especially in Straubing, where the had a season for the ages, they not only don't get to reap the rewards of being a legitimate title contender for the first time, but they also don't get their consolation price of at least playing in the CHL, which I have no doubt about they would have packed the house for. At least the DEL2 is still intent on starting their season next month.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
And 10 days later we have our answer. The CHL season has been cancelled (Statement from the DEL wenbsite in German) due to the impact of the pandemic, in both an organizational and financial capacity for the organisers and teams. Additionally a lot of games were under sever threats of cancellation already, due to travel restrictions across participating nations. There is hope that situation will have stabilised for the CHL to return in 2021/2022.

You gotta feel for DEL fans right now. The start of the domestic season is pushed out until, maybe mid-december, but that likely won't go ahead unless the league deems it financially workable (I can't see how the general situation is going to improve between now December) and especially in Straubing, where the had a season for the ages, they not only don't get to reap the rewards of being a legitimate title contender for the first time, but they also don't get their consolation price of at least playing in the CHL, which I have no doubt about they would have packed the house for. At least the DEL2 is still intent on starting their season next month.

It must be a weird situation for teams and players, having no idead what is going to happen.

Most DEL teams are now loaning their young players to the DEL2 teams they cooperate with, so they can get some playing time with those teams that are now in their pre-season.
There will also (probably) be 2 exhibition games between RB München and Eisbären Berlin this weekend.
If they happen you can watch them (I think the cost is 6,50 EUR per game) on sprade.tv. The first game is scheduled for Saturday 14:30 CET and second game for Sunday 14:30 CET.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
It’s not only the young players though. Patrick Reimer is on loan to his youth club Kaufbeuren and Moritz Müller (who is the initiator of the players union and captain of the Kölner Haie) played for his former youth club Kassel in a warmup game last night, as part of a loan deal. And apparently Felix Schütz signed a deal to return home to Landshut (though I’m not sure if that’s a permanent move)...
Clearly the players are starting to get fed up with the league as well, especially since they were forced to sign new contracts with mandatory salary reductions etc (one could also call it escrow through the back door) in preset to get the teams licensed and playing again, and now the league has deferred any Target start date twice already.
The longer it takes for the DEL to accept the situation the more likely it becomes that the German champion 2021 will come from Kassel or Frankfurt, at which point you’d really have to call the future of the entire DEL into question...

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
When does the DEL start?

My guess is September 2021. They are still hoping to manage a start in the second half of December, but I doubt that will work.
Corona cases are skyrocketing and teams need more than the currently allowed 20% crowd capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad