DEL 2020-2021 (Eisbären Berlin win championship)

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

The way I heard it on the radio this morning, sport events (with spectators) have only been cancelled until the end of October for now, which could still work out for the DEL.
However given how little people seem to care these days I don't expect the COVID situation to improve (quite the contrary) and I don't expect a lot of sports before spring or even summer of 2021.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The way I heard it on the radio this morning, sport events (with spectators) have only been cancelled until the end of October for now, which could still work out for the DEL.

There's also this:

The German government plans to compensate professional and semi-professional sports clubs (excluding the first and second soccer Bundesliga with their TV contracts) for gate receipts losses caused by COVID-19 from April to December 2020. Clubs will receive 80% of the net income they have had through attendance before the shutdown. An individual club can't get more than 800,000 Euros though. No less than 200 Million Euros will be provided for the clubs.

Source (in German)

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
There's also this:

The source from the Handelsblatt is expired. It seems it was the announcement from June. If I remember correctly the Shorthanded News Podcast (see podcast Link) mentioned that the €25 billion from the government to subsidise loss of earnings, is to be split between all event and hospitality branches of the economy and that only €150k are available per business, i.e. team. If the League is counted as a separate entity and all clubs each get the full amount, this would mean there is €2.25M available for fist division Ice Hockey in Germany (same amount for Division 2, if DEL2 is counted as a separate entity). Meanwhile Gernot Tripcke estimated that the 10 Play-off teams lost out on a collective €20M between them for just the play-offs.
The league, and most of its teams, save for maybe Munich, Mannheim and Cologne will not survive without a commitment to bring fans into the stands and to keep Games without fans to a minimum. The German Government keeping the door open for spectators at sports events was very much geared at the Bundesliga, and I dont think anyone in Government has spent a Minute thinking about the economic ramifications to minority sports (or everything but football) since the Hospitality and Entertainment grant was announced.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is really amazing how all major European hockey leagues & clubs are demanding the state subsidies because they can not survive a few months. Looks like the KHL clubs are much more financially stable these days.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
It is really amazing how all major European hockey leagues & clubs are demanding the state subsidies because they can not survive a few months. Looks like the KHL clubs are much more financially stable these days.

So you are comparing teams for requiring government funding to keep them alive after their main revenue stream has been blocked due to a pandemic to a league full of teams that are bank rolled by Government owned enterprises and therefore effectively live of the government?

How is that a financially stable situation?

Reactions: Kleefeld

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I am not comparing anything. I just described the last couple of months. All I see is that the KHL is starting next week while all major European leagues have been postponing their season´s start. And the clubs are demanding some money from the government. And I do not say it is wrong. I just say this has been happening.

And to explain it in the complex. By "much more financially stable these days" I mean that the KHL is able to start the season as planned, while it can not be said about all major European hockey leagues. So, the KHL & their clubs are more stable these days. Underlying, "these days" is the key message.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
KHL, SM and Swedish League will start what maybe means also the Norway League will start.
DEL will belong on the Covide 19 Sickness here. Also a important DEL Lives from his crowd income. A Season without crowd, means a lot of Lower leagues and Teams will mostly die or will have no Money to stay alive. Even with the Money from goverment it will be another tough Year.
Since a few Teams in the DEL/DEL2 have some bad money managment.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
How promotion relegation system will work ? First team from DEL 2 into DEL and last from DEL drops to DEL 2 ?

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
How promotion relegation system will work ? First team from DEL 2 into DEL and last from DEL drops to DEL 2 ?

DEL2 decides promotion in Play Offs. There is also a finance and infrastructure assessment. For the upcoming season only Frankfurt, Kassel and Bietigheim applied for this process.
Last from DEL regular season will be relegated, if the DEL2 champion is approved. However, due to the Covid19, relegation might be suspended for the upcoming season.

Reactions: pukovnik

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Preseason game between Red Bull Salzburg and Red Bull Munich will be livestreamed via YouTube in 70 minutes from now:

Could have put it in the ICE HL thread on the Central Europe forum as well, but Salzburg will feature two players loaned from Munich (Jason-Jason Peterka and Justin Schütz), so this feels a little bit like an internal affair on the DEL side.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Apparently the Lanxess Arena in Cologne is planning for 9000 people per game. Seems quite high given that Football clubs like Hamburg with 55000 Arenas are only planning for 5000.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Apparently the Lanxess Arena in Cologne is planning for 9000 people per game. Seems quite high given that Football clubs like Hamburg with 55000 Arenas are only planning for 5000.
Considering the number of tiers in the building, it’s possible. Might not be smart, but possible.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Considering the number of tiers in the building, it’s possible. Might not be smart, but possible.

But with the 20% guidline/recommendation from the government I doubt that they will go as high as 9000. 20% would be 3600 and maybe they go a little higher than that, but not all the way to 9000.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad