Del 14/15

hage

Mar 9, 2011
What does that mean?

I was over in Germany in January and saw a Munich game ; It was quite fun.

Interested in the meaning of that comment.

In German/European sports culture teams historically were clubs rather then corporations. That means they all started out small at some point and through success gained supporters and through additional supporters were able to grow larger and achieve even more success. All teams started as amateurs and those who did well turned professional on the fly along the last decades.

But today it's common that hockey teams are taken over by investors because they could not survive financially otherwise. In cases like Berlin (now owned by AEG) it's kind of viewed as a neccessary evil, but there are cases where investors rather then take over an established club install pro teams in locations with very little hockey history. These teams are very unpopular with fans from older teams because they have no tradition, few fans and hardly any youth development system. On top of that, thanks to their owners they usually have bigger budgets and are therefore quite successful.

Wolfsburg is one of those teams in a city with very little interest in hockey (avg attendence ~2400) that would have never made the DEL if it werent for Volkswagen. The club in Munich was taken over by Red Bull which then changed the team's name to Red Bull München,the team's colors to Red Bull's corporate colors and is now pumping money into the team like crazy.

These kinds of teams have an atificial feel to them that's why they're often referred to as plastic clubs. I think the term originated in soccer where there is a similar situation in the Bundesliga with teams like Hoffenheim and again Wolfsburg

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
In German/European sports culture teams historically were clubs rather then corporations. That means they all started out small at some point and through success gained supporters and through additional supporters were able to grow larger and achieve even more success. All teams started as amateurs and those who did well turned professional on the fly along the last decades.

But today it's common that hockey teams are taken over by investors because they could not survive financially otherwise. In cases like Berlin (now owned by AEG) it's kind of viewed as a neccessary evil, but there are cases where investors rather then take over an established club install pro teams in locations with very little hockey history. These teams are very unpopular with fans from older teams because they have no tradition, few fans and hardly any youth development system. On top of that, thanks to their owners they usually have bigger budgets and are therefore quite successful.

Wolfsburg is one of those teams in a city with very little interest in hockey (avg attendence ~2400) that would have never made the DEL if it werent for Volkswagen. The club in Munich was taken over by Red Bull which then changed the team's name to Red Bull München,the team's colors to Red Bull's corporate colors and is now pumping money into the team like crazy.

These kinds of teams have an atificial feel to them that's why they're often referred to as plastic clubs. I think the term originated in soccer where there is a similar situation in the Bundesliga with teams like Hoffenheim and again Wolfsburg

Thanks for the response!
Interesting.

Seems like a good way to get hockey in less popular areas - understand the backlash that teams had to work there way up, as others were gifted a team.

But you gotta grow somehow - I had a great time. The atmosphere was fun, small stadium feel with a big heart.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Actually, the DEL recently signed a contract which allows the playoffs games to be broadcast/streamed in America, though I can't find any link about it nor remember who got the rights, so it isn't very helpful.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
There aren't even German broadcasts for every game in the DEL, there are certainly no English ones at all.

For tomorrow, you can try http://www.servustv.com/de/Live or http://www.laola1.tv/ , but there might be restrictions when trying to access the streams from outside of Germany

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. I don't mind watching it in German since I just want to watch entertaining hockey in the mornings.

Do they not have an NHL GameCenter Live type of service in Germany? They should look at starting something like that to get to more viewers in Germany when not broadcasted on TV.

Car2014

Dec 5, 2014
Germany
Do they not have an NHL GameCenter Live type of service in Germany? They should look at starting something like that to get to more viewers in Germany when not broadcasted on TV.
Not for the DEL, no. There's http://www.sprade.tv/ for the DEL2, but as you can see (the website is also available in English), that's pretty expensive.
The BBL (German basketball league) started a service like that this season, hopefully the DEL and other leagues will follow suit.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
I hope they'll come up with something like NHL GC soon, it doesn't even have to have commentary, just moving pictures would be nice for a start. I like what ServusTV does but it's only a game a week in regular season.
They've recently started to show midweek games on Laola1 and even though that seems to be simply taken off the in-arena feed I feel it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will catch on.
On the other hand it's taken them until this season to even get a live text ticker going for all matches on the official web site so who knows how long we'll have to wait... which makes me wonder where that guy gets his information from. Is he hogging all the live streams in his own basement or what :sarcasm:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I hope they'll come up with something like NHL GC soon, it doesn't even have to have commentary, just moving pictures would be nice for a start. I like what ServusTV does but it's only a game a week in regular season.
They've recently started to show midweek games on Laola1 and even though that seems to be simply taken off the in-arena feed I feel it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will catch on.
On the other hand it's taken them until this season to even get a live text ticker going for all matches on the official web site so who knows how long we'll have to wait... which makes me wonder where that guy gets his information from. Is he hogging all the live streams in his own basement or what :sarcasm:

I bet it is someone working for the home team that is in the stadium inputing the information for the live ticker.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
The Ingolstadt and Dusseldorfer game was really good. Ingolstadt was the better team but Dusseldorfer also had some really good chances.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
I bet it is someone working for the home team that is in the stadium inputing the information for the live ticker.
That may be the case but he sure makes it sound like he's personally keeping tabs while watching everything in parallel. Eh, I dunno.

The Ingolstadt and Dusseldorfer game was really good. Ingolstadt was the better team but Dusseldorfer also had some really good chances.
DEG came back in overtime and again they can thank Beskorowany for the win. That guy is crazy hot at the moment.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
DEG came back in overtime and again they can thank Beskorowany for the win. That guy is crazy hot at the moment.

Düsseldorf lost ;)

The game should have been over after the first period, closing in on double digits after two, it's incomprehensible how Ingolstadt managed to waste all these chances, even with Beskorowany standing on his head. Ah, in the end the win is the only thing that counts, so they won't lose any sleep because of their lack of efficiency.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Düsseldorf lost ;)

The game should have been over after the first period, closing in on double digits after two, it's incomprehensible how Ingolstadt managed to waste all these chances, even with Beskorowany standing on his head. Ah, in the end the win is the only thing that counts, so they won't lose any sleep because of their lack of efficiency.

Beskorowany was the main reason the game was that close. He made some really good saves.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
Düsseldorf lost ;)

:facepalm: Yeah. I meant they came back in the last period and made it to OT... halfway through the second when the Panthers scored the shorthander I thought they'd get blown out.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Have any of you guys seen Manuel Wiederer play? Is he worth a draft pick? How about any other German's for the upcoming draft, anyone worth picking?

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Wolfsburg lead by three goals in three games but lost the series 0:4. How can that happen?

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Wolfsburg lead by three goals in three games but lost the series 0:4. How can that happen?

That third period comeback was crazy. Adler Mannheim really controlled the game near the end. Wolfsburg got into penalty trouble which hurt them big time. That 5 on 3 powerplay ignited the Wolfsburg offense.

CroKaas

Jan 17, 2012
Munich
Thanks for the response!
Interesting.

Seems like a good way to get hockey in less popular areas - understand the backlash that teams had to work there way up, as others were gifted a team.

But you gotta grow somehow - I had a great time. The atmosphere was fun, small stadium feel with a big heart.

Munich worked her way up themselves, from League 4 to the DEL.

I didn't get the problem when investors put money in a sport which is not that much popular in Germany. It makes the DEL better and they have built a new Performance Center for Young Hockey Kids near munich.

Eisdork

Jan 19, 2013
-
What does that mean?

I was over in Germany in January and saw a Munich game ; It was quite fun.

Interested in the meaning of that comment.

Yeah sorry for the very late reply!

You should know that basically all German hockey clubs operate at the edge of bankruptcy, and for decades we had to deal with one bankruptcy after the other, with the number of teams in the main leagues changing almost yearly. So now you have a company like Red Bull which pours a gigantic amount of money into German hockey. Even building a new 10.000 seat arena without public money plus basically subsidizing the TV production (Servus TV is Red Bull owned) and then you have those idiotic "fans" seeing it as something negative and giving clubs like Munich or Wolfsburg derogatory names. As I see it, that kind of attitude is very damaging for all of German hockey.

Last edited:

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Close first game of the finals, with an rather odd looking goal to end the game. Not particularly nice to watch though. Both teams did well defensively, which led to not a whole lot of big chances. Nothing wrong with that from a quality point of view, but it's not nearly as exciting as earlier playoffs games have been.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Close first game of the finals, with an rather odd looking goal to end the game. Not particularly nice to watch though. Both teams did well defensively, which led to not a whole lot of big chances. Nothing wrong with that from a quality point of view, but it's not nearly as exciting as earlier playoffs games have been.

I saw only parts of game 2 and it seemed very entertaining. How many people watch the finals on TV?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad