Injury Report: DeKeyser injury

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I dislike the fact that he's never bulked up, he is still skin and bones. If he bulked up his size would be pretty nice. He is at like junior weight still after 8 years in the pros he actually weighed more in college. For a 5 million dollar contract I don't think putting on 10-15 lbs of muscle is a big ask.

upload_2019-12-18_14-43-32.png

Reactions: avssuc

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not looking good here for Danny. After starting his career mostly as a workhorse, he's had nagging injuries the last couple seasons.

Since the start of 2017 he's missed 61 games and counting. Closing in on a full season lost over 3 seasons.

Update: DeKeyser will miss 121 games of a possible 246 over the last 3 seasons. That's almost exactly 50%.

Hard to imagine he'll get more durable heading into his 30's and after a back surgery. Tough blow for the guy. Feels bad man.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Update: DeKeyser will miss 121 games of a possible 246 over the last 3 seasons. That's almost exactly 50%.

Hard to imagine he'll get more durable heading into his 30's and after a back surgery. Tough blow for the guy. Feels bad man.

Yeah, gotta wonder how much he'll want to push it... hope he's used the money he's made so far wisely.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I dislike the fact that he's never bulked up, he is still skin and bones. If he bulked up his size would be pretty nice. He is at like junior weight still after 8 years in the pros he actually weighed more in college. For a 5 million dollar contract I don't think putting on 10-15 lbs of muscle is a big ask.
I'm wondering if he's had lingering back issues, and this recent incident was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

A back issue would explain why he hasn't bulked up and lacks physicality. I don't work out because of my back. Simply bending down to pick up something is bad enough.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I'm wondering if he's had lingering back issues, and this recent incident was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

A back issue would explain why he hasn't bulked up and lacks physicality. I don't work out because of my back. Simply bending down to pick up something is bad enough.

Yea, that would explain it. To be honest, I didn't consider this before now.

Almost all of us over 25 have hurt our backs at some point, so it's very easy to understand. The fact that surgery was necessary makes it even more apparent. The only good to come of this is the fact that the Wings don't need him right now, they need regulation L's.

Reactions: lomekian

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

First off all I am really sorry to hear that. I strained my back a few days ago, its bad enough for the few days it takes to heal but dealing with it chronically is something I am sorry to hear.

It would actually explain a lot too. DeKeyser seemed so promising coming into the league. He didn't seem to top out he seemed to actually regress. I am not a sensationalist and going to say Dekeyser is not a good defenseman. He is roster-able in a limited role and for less of a contract, but am I off by saying he regressed from top 4 potential?

I am not against the person, I wish him the best recovery and continued health and play and all that, however if he retired I would see it as fortunate for the wings and that is strictly speaking form a contractual standpoint.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
First off all I am really sorry to hear that. I strained my back a few days ago, its bad enough for the few days it takes to heal but dealing with it chronically is something I am sorry to hear.

It would actually explain a lot too. DeKeyser seemed so promising coming into the league. He didn't seem to top out he seemed to actually regress. I am not a sensationalist and going to say Dekeyser is not a good defenseman. He is roster-able in a limited role and for less of a contract, but am I off by saying he regressed from top 4 potential?

I am not against the person, I wish him the best recovery and continued health and play and all that, however if he retired I would see it as fortunate for the wings and that is strictly speaking form a contractual standpoint.
Straining your back is one thing, but once you damage a disc it's a whole different level of hurt. The last time I tried to ski hard I had to quit because I had sciatica (stingers) running down both my legs. Usually it's one or the other, if both legs go number I can't drive home...

Take care of your back. Muscles will heal but discs will not. Disc damage is usually from impact, mine's from multiple ski accidents. (Instructors get run into a lot. Unfortunately out of control skiers are just a part of the job.)

Reactions: FMichael and avssuc

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No he wouldn't. He is average at best, and on a good team he would be lucky to crack the top 6 D. While he may not be a train wreck, he also doesn't do anything particularly well.
I'm sorry that is literally an insane opinion. Nick Jensen stepped in as the #4-5 on one of the best teams in the league and Dekeyser is clearly, clearly much better than Jensen. That's just one example. But take the average #4 around the league and how many of them, traded 1-for-1 with Dekeyser, would improve our team?

The fact that our team is bad as caused some people to completely lose the ability to judge individual players on their own merits.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I'm sorry that is literally an insane opinion. Nick Jensen stepped in as the #4-5 on one of the best teams in the league and Dekeyser is clearly, clearly much better than Jensen. That's just one example. But take the average #4 around the league and how many of them, traded 1-for-1 with Dekeyser, would improve our team?

The fact that our team is bad as caused some people to completely lose the ability to judge individual players on their own merits.

I'm not so sure DeKeyser was noticeably better than Jensen. DeKeyser is one of the easiest defenders to play against in the league. That's amplified in the playoffs when the officials 'let them play'. Not only that, but Jensen signed for a cap hit of $2.5 over 4 years before he even had a cubby in the locker room (in his prime). That's a 50% discount for Jensen over DeKeyser. If that's what a hometown discount looks like, then I'm good with local players catching on elsewhere.

That's why people are critical. Calling someone insane and then touting an example that illustrates and highlights their point... that... that takes some stones. Could it be possible that your religious defense of Wings management has gotten in the way of objectiveness here?

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Straining your back is one thing, but once you damage a disc it's a whole different level of hurt. The last time I tried to ski hard I had to quit because I had sciatica (stingers) running down both my legs. Usually it's one or the other, if both legs go number I can't drive home...

Take care of your back. Muscles will heal but discs will not. Disc damage is usually from impact, mine's from multiple ski accidents. (Instructors get run into a lot. Unfortunately out of control skiers are just a part of the job.)

Man I am beside myself that you go through that I didn't know. I squished a disc when I was 15 trying to learn the gym horse and I had chronic crippling back spasms all through highschool but then it sorta just stopped, I think I got lucky that I was young and my body was still growing. I feel so lucky to be free of that pain now and I still remember how it was. I don't mean to clutter up the thread but just wanted to say.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't know why DeKeyser gets so underrated here. He's not flashy, I guess. He's great at reading plays. He's got great positioning. He uses his stick really well. His opponents magically turn the puck over time and again when they go against him. He's pretty decent at springing the breakout, too.

And on this team, those are rare qualities.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't know why DeKeyser gets so underrated here. He's not flashy, I guess. He's great at reading plays. He's got great positioning. He uses his stick really well. His opponents magically turn the puck over time and again when they go against him. He's pretty decent at springing the breakout, too.

And on this team, those are rare qualities.

Because he's been hit and miss.
Last year, when he played, he was really good.
Three years ago, he was one of the worst defensemen in hockey.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Let's all send DDK some positive vibes, (even if you think he's a #4-#6 or worse), we're better with him, our records confirm this.View attachment 294887
By all means, we should all wish him the best of luck on his surgery and a speedy recovery. At this point, its got nothing to do with hockey, I just hope as a person that he will be able to enjoy the rest of his life relatively pain free.

Good lucky Danny.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not so sure DeKeyser was noticeably better than Jensen. DeKeyser is one of the easiest defenders to play against in the league. That's amplified in the playoffs when the officials 'let them play'. Not only that, but Jensen signed for a cap hit of $2.5 over 4 years before he even had a cubby in the locker room (in his prime). That's a 50% discount for Jensen over DeKeyser. If that's what a hometown discount looks like, then I'm good with local players catching on elsewhere.

That's why people are critical. Calling someone insane and then touting an example that illustrates and highlights their point... that... that takes some stones. Could it be possible that your religious defense of Wings management has gotten in the way of objectiveness here?
Contracts are not in the equation so bringing that in is one of those obvious examples of moving goalposts when your position starts becoming impossible to defend.

Danny is better offensively and defensively than Jensen, but I guess it's hard to "be sure"..

Classic case of Jensen being a guy that generally hasn't been played over his head so perception is more positive for him. He's been put in a position that he can handle, so as a #4-5 he has looked pretty good. Danny is #3-4 who has been forced to play #1-2 minutes and thus the perception is that he's not been as good.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

It's insane?! What does he do well? He does nothing well is the answer.

He skates decent for a bigger guy
Has long reach because of being big, not sure that even counts as a plus

Doesn't provide offence
Doesn't protect crease
Doesn't protect teammates
Has zero physicality
Struggles like many Wings D to make easy plays to get the puck out of are zone

Just like Jensen, I think lots of people on here are overdoing how good our decent/ok players really are. Jensen is not even someone I would want in my top 6 at any point, unless you had half of your top 8 guys out.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's insane?! What does he do well? He does nothing well is the answer.

He skates decent for a bigger guy
Has long reach because of being big, not sure that even counts as a plus

Doesn't provide offence
Doesn't protect crease
Doesn't protect teammates
Has zero physicality
Struggles like many Wings D to make easy plays to get the puck out of are zone

Just like Jensen, I think lots of people on here are overdoing how good our decent/ok players really are. Jensen is not even someone I would want in my top 6 at any point, unless you had half of your top 8 guys out.
Jensen is a solid player as is evident by being a mainstay on one of the best teams in the league.

Your criticisms against Dekeyser seems to be 3 versions of "isn't physical enough for my tastes". He's a good defensive d-man. Skates well, good reach, good defensive stickwork, decent at clearing the zone, decent first-pass kind of guy.

He's not great offensively but you can't just make a blanket statement like "doesn't provide offence" either. Last year he had 20 even-strength points in just 52 games. That's more than Kronwall, Parayko, Girard, Bouwmeester, Fowler, Chychrun, Vatanen etc. had, and the same number as Doughty and Subban had, and Danny had less games played than all of them.
Oliver Ekman Larsson had 2 even strength points more than Dekeyser, in almost 30 more games played.
Sure Danny has been inconsistent with the offence, and he's not someone you really want on a powerplay, but you simply can't statistically back up a statement that implies he provides no offense at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->