Injury Report: DeKeyser injury

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
I hope DeKeyser makes a full recovery. That said, this injury doesn't have a large impact on either the short or long term plans of the team. Fortunately for DD, he signed a contract for a pretty nice payday a few years back. If he can't resume his career or it gets cut short, hopefully he'll be set financially. From the Wings perspective, we are going to lose in the short term with or without DeKeyser, and in all reality he was unlikely to be re-signed in two years when his contract is up. So, he comes back and plays or he remains out and on LTIR. No real impact. We'll be doing a lot of losing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Damn. I hope he comes back better than ever.
Depends on what kinda surgery he's having done, but once you injure your back, it's never the same.

The worst part about a back injury is that it takes away your strength. This is not good for DDK on or off the ice. I wish him a speedy recovery, and hope for the best.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This is a huge loss now & potentially for the next few years. We're down to Hronek & Nemeth as our 2 Top4 D + Green who is borderline at this point. Still no true top pairing D...Next year w/Seider will be better, but still a weak Top4, hoping DDK rebounds quickly. I shudder to think what a big ticket UFA would cost, (Krug), who can't defend & is primarily a PP production guy. I'd throw $9Mx7 at Pietro vs. $7+ @Krug.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Danny is still pretty young and I don't know how long he will be out but he is still signed through 21-22. I wonder if he would be open to an LTIR arrangement. It would be nice to give Yzerman that 5 million to put towards a legit top pairing. That gives Dekyzer 2 and a half years to go out and be a 29 year old multimillionaire anywhere in the world and come back in 22-23 if he wants to still play. He is not going to get another Holland pay day so maybe this will work out for everyone. Franzen falls off the books this year so the timing works.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
This sucks on many levels. Hopefully he can recover for his sake so he can live a comfortable life after hockey. Looks like he’ll be a Red Wing for life as no team will be willing to take on a guy with a back injury.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I doubt that. He is the best d man probably( besides Hronek)but he still sucks.
He doesn't suck.

But even with your reasoning you say he is the best Dman besides Hronek. But somehow having the 2nd best Dman in the lineup (by your estimation) doesn't make the team better?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He doesn't suck.

But even with your reasoning you say he is the best Dman besides Hronek. But somehow having the 2nd best Dman in the lineup (by your estimation) doesn't make the team better?
It was an exaggeration. He sucks compared to a good NHL defensemen

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He doesn’t. He’d be top 4 on essentially every team in the league.

I don't know about that.
But if he plays like he did when healthy last year, he's a solid top 4 defenseman.
But here's the problem. After three really healthy seasons, Dekeyser missed 17 games in 17-18. He missed 30 games last year. And now he's going to miss 74 games this year. He's a few months shy of his 30th birthday and he's going miss the entire year with a back injury and surgery.

I'd hoped we might be able to count on Dekeyser to help break in Cholowski and hopefully McIsaac, along with Hronek and Seider.
I'm not sure what we can count on from Dekeyser at this point.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't know about that.
But if he plays like he did when healthy last year, he's a solid top 4 defenseman.
But here's the problem. After three really healthy seasons, Dekeyser missed 17 games in 17-18. He missed 30 games last year. And now he's going to miss 74 games this year. He's a few months shy of his 30th birthday and he's going miss the entire year with a back injury and surgery.

I'd hoped we might be able to count on Dekeyser to help break in Cholowski and hopefully McIsaac, along with Hronek and Seider.
I'm not sure what we can count on from Dekeyser at this point.
He’s not old. As long as surgery goes well he could have many years left in him.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

He'd be A number 4 on essentially every team in the league. No more.

While he may be one of the Wings better Dmen in this current lineup, the difference of him in or out is negligible.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For a 5 mil player he definitely sucks...

He did at the start of the contract. The last season and a half he has been solid. I used to hate on Dekeyser a lot, but him and Hronek were very solid together and he finished the year before that well.

Tough blow for the people not obsessed with the tank, in particular the guys in the actual dressing room.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Danny is still pretty young and I don't know how long he will be out but he is still signed through 21-22. I wonder if he would be open to an LTIR arrangement. It would be nice to give Yzerman that 5 million to put towards a legit top pairing. That gives Dekyzer 2 and a half years to go out and be a 29 year old multimillionaire anywhere in the world and come back in 22-23 if he wants to still play. He is not going to get another Holland pay day so maybe this will work out for everyone. Franzen falls off the books this year so the timing works.

Yea, that wouldn't work out for DeKeyser at all....

Especially in a world where one of the supposed best GM's will pay $3M a season for a dman that was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for a contender... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ...And overrated guys like Tyler Myers can fool a GM into a buyout proof 5 year $30M dollar deal.

Having hypothetically not played an NHL game in almost 3 years, his prospects in 22-23 would be very thin. He'd be looking at a PTO and then maybe starting out on an AHL contract or PTO, or having to go to Europe.

Even without a "Holland pay day", he'd still do way better on the UFA market if he comes back from the surgery and is still capable of being an NHL regular Dman at 32YO. I mean 38YO Ron Hainsey got $3M this past summer...

Even with DeKeyser's $5M on the books, the Red Wings will have plenty of cap space for a legit top pairing D in the rare occurrence that one becomes available.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He did at the start of the contract. The last season and a half he has been solid. I used to hate on Dekeyser a lot, but him and Hronek were very solid together and he finished the year before that well.

Tough blow for the people not obsessed with the tank, in particular the guys in the actual dressing room.
He is not worth his contract then or now. The most disturbing thing about him is he has had zero commitment to strength training. He is thin as a rail and I believe his physical weakness is probably the main reason he is always hurt...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yea, that wouldn't work out for DeKeyser at all....

Especially in a world where one of the supposed best GM's will pay $3M a season for a dman that was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for a contender... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ...And overrated guys like Tyler Myers can fool a GM into a buyout proof 5 year $30M dollar deal.

Having hypothetically not played an NHL game in almost 3 years, his prospects in 22-23 would be very thin. He'd be looking at a PTO and then maybe starting out on an AHL contract or PTO, or having to go to Europe.

Even without a "Holland pay day", he'd still do way better on the UFA market if he comes back from the surgery and is still capable of being an NHL regular Dman at 32YO. I mean 38YO Ron Hainsey got $3M this past summer...

Even with DeKeyser's $5M on the books, the Red Wings will have plenty of cap space for a legit top pairing D in the rare occurrence that one becomes available.

At least the worst case scenario is we just ride out his contract, the wings need to ride out several other contracts as well so in combination with one another it makes any one other contract not even make sense to get rid of. It's like if Yzerman was a medication it takes 2-3 years before it kicks in when all these legacy contracts are finally gone.

I don't think DeKeyser is getting re-signed here or if he does at an extremely reduced rate to reflect his capabilities. I just hope he doesn't stick with the team as a top 4 solution or we are heading right back into the country club days.

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't know how anyone can say that he wasn't good before he got hurt this year.

He was far from a 5mil defenseman when he signed that contract but he definitely grew into it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

No he wouldn't. He is average at best, and on a good team he would be lucky to crack the top 6 D. While he may not be a train wreck, he also doesn't do anything particularly well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad