Deke of The Week 1

FiveAndAGame

Jul 15, 2010
Long Island, NY
As a roller hockey player, it blows my mind how many people do not understand this concept. Everyone wants to go for the fancy dekes, and pass up an easy opportunity at open space. Once I learned to take the path of least resistance, I became a much better player. I love that the video states that the deke is a last resort, because I feel like too many players in the "modern" era of hockey see the deke as the primary form of offensive attack(watching highlight reels of guys like Ovechkin, Datsyuk, and Kovalev will do that). Great video, looking forward to next week.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
It's a little oversimplified IMO.

Common sense does dictate one should go to the path with the least resistance (open ice). But in a hockey game, unless you've got some really good playmakers, your open ice decreases the closer you get to the goal. So it kind of makes it moot and pretty much mostly only applicable on your own zone on a breakout.

I also don't know how heading to open ice qualifies as a deke. It's a bit of an oxymoron as that tip is really a basic hockey knowledge but deking in general is an advanced move.

In this advanced category, I think the most basic of deke is: 1 Fake (Fake one direction - shift to the other). Most likely the inside-outside move since it's easier to cut outside than it is to cut inside where generally there's more defensive coverage.

Then obviously you move up on depending on how many times you can shift directions, if you can throw in a heel-toe drag, if you change directions putting the puck under the defenseman's stick, putting the puck between the D's legs, also through your own legs, the spinorama, putting the puck on 1 side of the D but you going around the other side, using foot kicks in the deke, or even better yet if you can combine mutliple advanced moves in a single combo.

Now that's just getting sick.

edit:

anyways, just 2 add my 2 cents, the key to deking isn't really on the move itself but instead learning how to "bait." You can practice all the above moves but I guarantee you won't be able to apply it on game situations until you've mastered learning to bait your opponents.

Last edited:

berzark

Nov 3, 2010
The video series was suposed to be "20 ways to beat a defender"
It's more about beating a defender, as the weeks go by the videos will be more complex dekes\ways to beat a defender.

HowToHockey

The video series was suposed to be "20 ways to beat a defender"
It's more about beating a defender, as the weeks go by the videos will be more complex dekes\ways to beat a defender.

I thought I had written this for a second! Thanks, this is true. I thought I might do more than 20 so I call it the deke of the week, then I can include goalie dekes too

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
great idea and look forward to it...also just want to add that i enjoy your videos...some stuff is stuff i already know but i learn from them and enjoy your "review" video's and they have saved me some money, so thank you

keep it up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->