Define Todays Players using Former Players.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Ovechkin = Maurice Richard

Stamkos reminds me of Brett Hull

Crosby = stronger, grittier Steve Yzerman

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Before he found his goal scoring touch, I'd say Crosby was basically Peter Forsberg at his peak. But no way would Forsberg have ever come close to winning an Art Ross. I'm not sure who a better comparison would be now.

I've heard comparisons of Ovechkin to Bobby Hull and they seem to fit pretty well (I've only seen Hull in a few videos though). I honestly don't see much in common with Bure - both are really fast, but Bure's game was so much more about finesse.

I wonder if Crosby and Ovechkin will be thought of as the Jean Beliveau and Bobby Hull of our era? (Beliveau relied on more of a power game than Crosby, though).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Oh and for what it's worth, Gordie Howe himself said that Ovechkin's game reminds him of his own. (Though I think Bobby Hull is still a better comparison personally).

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Ovy to Bobby Hull is not bad.

Crosby as a stronger grittier Yzerman also works for me.

Stamkos is 10 times the skater that Brett was, but I see the similarity in shot/release, (still give the edge to Brett though).

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
It was suggested to Bryan Trottier that Crosby is the closest resemblance to him as a player. He responded that Sid has more speed (which he does). Trots also was a superior (and more frequent) body checker. In other words, a stronger, grittier Yzerman, which is exactly what #19 was, and #87 is.

Derick*

Before he found his goal scoring touch, I'd say Crosby was basically Peter Forsberg at his peak. But no way would Forsberg have ever come close to winning an Art Ross. I'm not sure who a better comparison would be now.

I've heard comparisons of Ovechkin to Bobby Hull and they seem to fit pretty well (I've only seen Hull in a few videos though). I honestly don't see much in common with Bure - both are really fast, but Bure's game was so much more about finesse.

I wonder if Crosby and Ovechkin will be thought of as the Jean Beliveau and Bobby Hull of our era? (Beliveau relied on more of a power game than Crosby, though).

HMT2003.jpg

I know you meant Richard trophy, though :naughty:

Ovechkin = Bobby Hull
Toews = Beliveau
Thornton = Oates, Dionne
Malkin = Forsberg

But Thornton is better than Oates. Really no superstar has passed as much as Thornton. The players who were as good at passing as Thornton were also amazing at everything else and are top players of all time and I'd get my head ripped off for making the comparison. If Thornton = Gretzky, though, Cheechoo is definitely Bernie Nicholls :laugh:

Crosby is a lot like Yzerman, I agree. Versatile but never transcendentally good at any one thing. Never the best offensive player (Ovechkin), never the best defensive player (Datsyuk) but a superstar on account of being a pocketknife. Also both really young captains who were vocal with the refs.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
HMT2003.jpg

I know you meant Richard trophy, though :naughty:

Ovechkin = Bobby Hull
Toews = Beliveau
Thornton = Oates, Dionne
Malkin = Forsberg

But Thornton is better than Oates. Really no superstar has passed as much as Thornton. The players who were as good at passing as Thornton were also amazing at everything else and are top players of all time and I'd get my head ripped off for making the comparison. If Thornton = Gretzky, though, Cheechoo is definitely Bernie Nicholls :laugh:

Crosby is a lot like Yzerman, I agree. Versatile but never transcendentally good at any one thing. Never the best offensive player (Ovechkin), never the best defensive player (Datsyuk) but a superstar on account of being a pocketknife. Also both really young captains who were vocal with the refs.

Yes I meant the Richard, obviously. Oops. And it's WAYYY too early to compare Toews to Beliveau. A single Top 20 finish in scoring would be a good start...

Derick*

Yes I meant the Richard, obviously. Oops. And it's WAYYY too early to compare Toews to Beliveau. A single Top 20 finish in scoring would be a good start...

Well in the sense that you'd compare someone in the OHL with a great shot but who's a major floater to Kovalchuk. I'm comparing the ratio of skills, not the degree. Toews is a very versatile player, great leadership, great intangibles.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It was suggested to Bryan Trottier that Crosby is the closest resemblance to him as a player. He responded that Sid has more speed (which he does). Trots also was a superior (and more frequent) body checker. In other words, a stronger, grittier Yzerman, which is exactly what #19 was, and #87 is.

Offensively, Crosby reminds me a lot of Dale Hawerchuk, with obviously the superior all-around game. But similar size and style to Hawerchuk, created offense in similar ways.

Infinite Vision*

During the 06-07 season I saw Crosby as a quicker Forsberg who was less physical.

Ovechkin is more like a combination of Kovalchuk and Neely without the fighting IMO.

Thornton is a tall left handed combination of Oates and Dionne.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00