News Article: Defensmen, physical wingers dominate Phoenix Coyotes Top 20 update

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Coyotes system has shifted this spring because of the graduation of Michael Stone as well as the emergence of Connor Murphy and Jordan Szwarz.

The organization continues to boast immense depth on the blue line. They also seem to have an assembly line churning out big, hard-nosed wingers. The Coyotes AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates, have suffered through a rough, basement dwelling season. Several key Pirates have missed large stretches due to injury. In spite of the losses, Portland coach Ray Edwards has been hard at work, initiating several key prospects to the rigors of professional hockey. Tobias Rieder, James Melindy, and Mathieu Brisebois are all experiencing the grind of a full professional hockey season for the first time in 2013-14.… read more

More...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
David Rundblad has only dressed for 12 Phoenix Coyotes games this season. He has spent the rest of his time in the press box. He was signed to a one-way contract in the summer of 2013, meaning an attempt to send him down to Portland for seasoning would expose him to waivers and he would probably be plucked by a rival club. The only other roster move at Don Maloney’s disposal would be a trade.
The myth that never dies ... come on, hf ... :shakehead

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This is being facilitated in Portland where he is being deployed in situations he was rarely exposed to with the Kitchener Rangers such as penalty kills and late-game defensive zone face-offs.

This statement regarding Rieder surprises me a little, since I remember him scoring a lot of short handed goals in his draft year, so I do believe he has seen plenty time on the penalty kill in Kitchener.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
From the typo in the headline all the way down, this is a remarkably weak piece.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I see Gormley still at the top of the list and I was hoping those that watch him in Portland could give me an update on his play. I have had a prospect crush on Gormley since watching him in the Memorial cup a few years back and have always considered him to be a lock to be a top 4 NHL D man. Any red flags on Brandon or is it smooth sailing and just organizational depth as per the article? I am sure you guys beat this to death but might he be a trade chip for a larger organizational need since you are overflowing LH D talent?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I see Gormley still at the top of the list and I was hoping those that watch him in Portland could give me an update on his play. I have had a prospect crush on Gormley since watching him in the Memorial cup a few years back and have always considered him to be a lock to be a top 4 NHL D man. Any red flags on Brandon or is it smooth sailing and just organizational depth as per the article? I am sure you guys beat this to death but might he be a trade chip for a larger organizational need since you are overflowing LH D talent?

The article is correct. He's developing right on track and probably could have been seeing NHL time even last season, but we're log-jammed with LH D at the moment.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wow, he's been that impressive? Would you mind explaining what you like about him for us 'Muricans, who can't easily access junior games?

Limited viewings so take this for what it's worth.

strong, big C, can skate, wins face-offs, and can score. Not afraid to stand in front of goalie on PP (no hesitation). Going to be an ideal 3rd line C. Just a great combo of size and skill. I was really impressed with last viewing.

His signing was the equivalent of a free 2nd round pick. I would rank he and Dauphin very close to one another.

P.s. Have u tried watching games online? Very easy.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Limited viewings so take this for what it's worth.

strong, big C, can skate, wins face-offs, and can score. Not afraid to stand in front of goalie on PP (no hesitation). Going to be an ideal 3rd line C. Just a great combo of size and skill. I was really impressed with last viewing.

His signing was the equivalent of a free 2nd round pick. I would rank he and Dauphin very close to one another.

P.s. Have u tried watching games online? Very easy.

Sounds great, I'll be sure to pay more attention to him.

I actually haven't really watched the games online. Where's a good place to stream them?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sounds great, I'll be sure to pay more attention to him.

I actually haven't really watched the games online. Where's a good place to stream them?

I think it's $7.50 CDN to watch a game

Ontariohockeyleague.com

WHL.ca

Theqmjhl.ca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad