Defensively: Serge Savard or Rod Langway

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
when savard won his smythe, how was his defense? could he have been as good defensively as he became if he had played a two-way game? or would he have had to give up some defense to also be a top offensive threat?

Obviously, you always give up some defense when you become a top offensive threat--always, even if you're Bobby Orr. Savard's skating ability and intelligence, however, would have minimized the loss.

I saw Serge Savard's entire career, and Canadiens1958 has him pegged right. At the beginning, I thought he was destined to become one of the top five defensemen ever. He appeared to have everything, including that then rather elusive combination in a defenseman, size and speed, and, as a Canadiens fan, I was thrilled. That Conn Smythe award at the end of his second season seemed to confirm that the sky was the limit. Regrettably, the one thing he did not have was a pass on injuries.

I was pretty happy with that Canadiens defensive corps, Savard and Carol Vadnais joining an exceptional foursome in J.C. Tremblay, Jacques Laperriere, Ted Harris and Terry Harper. A few years later, of course, it would be even better. Those great Montreal teams of the 1950s through the 1970s always had great defensemen as well as great goaltenders and great forwards.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Couldn't go wrong with either.

I still remember Savard slamming into the post and breaking his leg (believe it was #2), was as painful to watch for me as the Theisman injury.

As a direct result of that injury, the league brought in 'Megg' nets.

Savard was becoming a great offensive dman before the injury. But he adjusted his game afterwards and still had a hall of fame career.

Check Team Canada's record with him in the lineup 1972.

Savard/Robinson is still the best tandem I've ever seen, they could beat you every possible way.

Langway is one of the best defensive dmen I've seen, maybe even the best.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Serge Savard

Couldn't go wrong with either.

I still remember Savard slamming into the post and breaking his leg (believe it was #2), was as painful to watch for me as the Theisman injury.

As a direct result of that injury, the league brought in 'Megg' nets.

Savard was becoming a great offensive dman before the injury. But he adjusted his game afterwards and still had a hall of fame career.

Check Team Canada's record with him in the lineup 1972.

Savard/Robinson is still the best tandem I've ever seen, they could beat you every possible way.

Langway is one of the best defensive dmen I've seen, maybe even the best.

First broken leg - multiple fractures was against the Rnagers while the second one was a Bob Baun hip check.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00