Defensive Stats

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's basically just shots, chances, goals when a player is on the ice. Context is important though. A players usage, teammates, how they perform relative to their team and with/without certain players is important.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's hard to accurately quantify a player defensively imo. I think relative stats are helpful though, and with or without heat maps. not meant to hi jack your thread- but i think people use X player is great defensively sometimes as a blanket statement that is hard to validate one player being superior to the other (especially when their offensive stats are inefrior)

Reactions: Pyrophorus

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's basically just shots, chances, goals when a player is on the ice. Context is important though. A players usage, teammates, how they perform relative to their team and with/without certain players is important.

And I guess takeaways, blocked shots (hits?) etc as well.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The almighty CF%?

That doesn't necessarily pertain to defense or at least in isolation. It's more of an indicator of how much the "ice tilts" when a player is on. CF% rel should be considered when using CF% as well.

A player can drive the play and help tilt the ice and not be very good in his own end. A player can also spend a lot of time in his own zone matching up against the best offensive players on the opposition and not be expected to do too much offensively and be competent in his own end.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
CA/60 is useful. The lower the number, the better. On the Leafs, Marincin, Ozhiganov and Dermott obviously have the best since they have been getting easy minutes. From the top 4 Gardiner is the best, followed by Muzzin and then Zaitsev. Hainsey and Rielly are the worst on the Leafs.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
CA/60 is useful. The lower the number, the better. On the Leafs, Marincin, Ozhiganov and Dermott obviously have the best since they have been getting easy minutes. From the top 4 Gardiner is the best, followed by Muzzin and then Zaitsev. Hainsey and Rielly are the worst on the Leafs.
If you're wondering who the league leaders are this year (relative to their team, minimum 600 minutes, top 4 d only) :
Hjalmarsson
Byfuglien
Ekholm
Ekman-Larsson
Klefbom

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you're wondering who the league leaders are this year (relative to their team, minimum 600 minutes, top 4 d only) :
Hjalmarsson
Byfuglien
Ekholm
Ekman-Larsson
Klefbom

Ekholm should be a finalist for the Norris he would be on my ballot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's hard to accurately quantify a player defensively imo. I think relative stats are helpful though, and with or without heat maps. not meant to hi jack your thread- but i think people use X player is great defensively sometimes as a blanket statement that is hard to validate one player being superior to the other (especially when their offensive stats are inefrior)

My issue (or rather "concern" might be a better word) with relative stats is, wouldn't it benefit a good player playing with bad players more than a fantastic player playing with good players?

For instance, Player A is a 10/10 defensively, but plays on a team with a bunch of 6/10 defensively players. Player B is a 7/10 defensively, but plays on a team with a bunch of 1/10 defensively players. Player B's "relative" stats are probably going to be better than Player A's, and thus it would make them seem "better" defensively even though they're actually not.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
For dmen I'll always favour heat maps. Adv stats are more carried by forwards, d you can literally tell by looking at maps of they played their positions well or not. I'll always factor situational maps over generalized ones (I'll typically exclude plays off the rush initially)

For forwards, WOWY is king for me. I'll still look at the centre's heat maps but WOWY is quick, easy, and pretty straightforward.

I suck at goalie stats so I typically don't argue them.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There is no catch-all defensive stat. You can use several stats to put together a good picture though.

CF% and Rel.CF%
xGF% and Rel.xGF%

Over a large sample, GF% and rel.GF% can give you a good idea of performance, but very little predictive value

CA/60 and Rel
SA/60 and Rel
xGF/60 and Rel

Then you want to look at zone start percentage, QoT and QoC for the context of how they're used and against whom.

And I guess takeaways, blocked shots (hits?) etc as well.

Those aren't particularly useful for measuring impact. Typically they just mean the other team has the puck more when the defender in question is on the ice.

Contextually there are exceptions, like when defenders are getting dungeon dzone starts against top 6 competition game-after-game-after-game, but for the most part if you have a lot of blocked shots, that just means you're bad at puck retrieval and exiting the zone successfully.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
My issue (or rather "concern" might be a better word) with relative stats is, wouldn't it benefit a good player playing with bad players more than a fantastic player playing with good players?

For instance, Player A is a 10/10 defensively, but plays on a team with a bunch of 6/10 defensively players. Player B is a 7/10 defensively, but plays on a team with a bunch of 1/10 defensively players. Player B's "relative" stats are probably going to be better than Player A's, and thus it would make them seem "better" defensively even though they're actually not.

In this case it would be obvious why a player would have much better relative stats then.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
There is no catch-all defensive stat. You can use several stats to put together a good picture though.

CF% and Rel.CF%
xGF% and Rel.xGF%

Over a large sample, GF% and rel.GF% can give you a good idea of performance, but very little predictive value

CA/60 and Rel
SA/60 and Rel
xGF/60 and Rel

Then you want to look at zone start percentage, QoT and QoC for the context of how they're used and against whom.

Those aren't particularly useful for measuring impact. Typically they just mean the other team has the puck more when the defender in question is on the ice.

Contextually there are exceptions, like when defenders are getting dungeon dzone starts against top 6 competition game-after-game-after-game, but for the most part if you have a lot of blocked shots, that just means you're bad at puck retrieval and exiting the zone successfully.

Most of the best defensive forwards are high in takeaways and lower in giveaways, not sure how useful it is for defensemen though who are naturally going to have many giveaways due to the nature of the position, being relied upon heavily and logging a lot of ice time.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
As a pure example what makes Bergeron or Barkov so great defensively?
Not saying they aren't, just what numbers bare that out.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
One of the advanced stats I really like despite not being a fan is shots against on ice vs off.

However, does it take into account that another player/players might be off at the same time ? Like a d partner ?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There are a lot of stats that can be used to assess how a player is compared to his teammates. I think they get harder to draw conclusions when you are looking from team to team, because teams play different styles and have different coaches. Case in point, look at NYI. They are 10th in SA/GP and 1st in GA/GP this year under Trotz. Last year under Weight et al, they were 31st in GA/GP and 31st in SA/GP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad