Defensemen plus/minus chart

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I like to create these on occasion just because I find it illuminating.

These are the journeys our defensemen took to their current plus/minus. Some bounce around, some are steady. I only chose the main horses this year. The lines are blank when they were out of the lineup. Again, plus/minus only tells a small part of the story but I think it's useful when compared to peers.

I think Cholowski's adrenaline wore off after a month or two. Daley and Jensen had polar opposite mid-Decembers. Green was a on a tear before he got injured.

Who would have predicted we'd have three defensemen on the plus side of the column at this point in the season?
Defensemen Plus_Minus.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Kudos to Green, Dekeyser & Kronner (a pleasant surprise). I really hope Daley is moved to get Hronek up this season (doubt any team takes Big E's contract, he'd have to waive too). Either (ideally both) Daley or Big E should not be here after TDL.

updated 2/5
Trevor DaleyIRFeb 5
Comment: Daley (foot) skated at Tuesday's practice, Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News reports.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
also on Daley: Daley is on injured reserve with a broken foot and is expected to be absent from the lineup until at least the end of February. Damnit!!

I just say this on Bert:
for FWD's: updated 2/7
Tyler BertuzziDay-To-DayFeb 7
Comment: Bertuzzi has undergone a cognitive test as well as a test on his neck, according to Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill, Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
..."questionable for Sunday vs. Hawks"

Why do I get the unnerving feeling we'll have the Exact same defense for opening night '19, except Jensen will likely be gone & Kronner resigned 1 more year.. Give Jensen $2.5 x 3-4yrs., he deserves it based on this year. Let Kronner retire, LTIR/trade Daley & Big E asap.

Reactions: ealong59

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I like to create these on occasion just because I find it illuminating.

These are the journeys our defensemen took to their current plus/minus. Some bounce around, some are steady. I only chose the main horses this year. The lines are blank when they were out of the lineup. Again, plus/minus only tells a small part of the story but I think it's useful when compared to peers.

I think Cholowski's adrenaline wore off after a month or two. Daley and Jensen had polar opposite mid-Decembers. Green was a on a tear before he got injured.

Who would have predicted we'd have three defensemen on the plus side of the column at this point in the season?
View attachment 184941

Great post and the topic.

I find it impressive that our veteran Dmen found a way to have positive stats.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Cool chart! My only question regarding it is who missed which games.

On the minus side, we have some defenders who have barely missed a game this season. Whereas on the plus side, we have at least a couple guys who missed a significant stretch due to injuries. Therefore, I wonder what the team record was, including scores, for their respective spans missed, because, after all, this is somewhat of a team stat.

The only plus Red Wing who you could not apply the question to at all, although not a defender, is Luke Glendening. All of the other pluses have missed a stretch of games. To the further credit of Luke, he is also the highest plus on the team. As for Kronwall, he has not missed many games, but he is also our lowest plus. Daley (borderline), Dekeyser (+) and Green (+) missed more games this season than every other every day player on the team: The Red Wings are like 2/3 of the way through the season, but those three have only played in about half of the games.

Am I on to anything?

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

On the minus side, we have some defenders who have barely missed a game this season. Whereas on the plus side, we have at least a couple guys who missed a significant stretch due to injuries. Therefore, I wonder what the team record was, including scores, for their respective spans missed, because, after all, this is somewhat of a team stat.

The only plus Red Wing who you could not apply the question to at all, although not a defender, is Luke Glendening. All of the other pluses have missed a stretch of games. To the further credit of Luke, he is also the highest plus on the team. As for Kronwall, he has not missed many games, but he is also our lowest plus. Daley (borderline), Dekeyser (+) and Green (+) missed more games this season than every other every day player on the team: The Red Wings are like 2/3 of the way through the season, but those three have only played in about half of the games.

Am I on to anything?

Trend lines look to be Jensen/Ericsson were most affected by injuries forcing them up depth chart. Cholo has been on a steady tail spin all season, in spite of playing sheltered minutes for the most part.

Reactions: DetroitRed

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Do we have a metric for the difficulty of minutes these guys face? Kind of hard to tell when they pretty much all play 20 min/game.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Am I on to anything?

I posted a thread a little while back that looks at the teams record based on who's injured or not on the teams blueline Breaking out the teams record by how healthy the defense is

They've basically had one game where every D is healthy.

The results were basically that when Green and one of DeKeyser or Daley is out, the record is noticeably bad, and even worse with all 3 out. If I get time I'll update it since Green and DeKeyser have been back for a bit.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->