Defensemen in the '04 draft(again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Flames Draft Watcher said:
So I take it you wouldn't have been drafting Pronger in the top 3?

Writing off skinny defensemen seems more than a little ridiculous to me.
May be so but how many highly ranked lanky dmen have also turned to busts. I'm not too high on Big guys without offense and hockey sense.

X-SHARKIE

Schultz has some major upside, but he has alllllot of work to do before he hits that. I think any NHL team that drafts him well have to do extensive interviewing to see what makes this guy tick. He also needs to drafted into a good system. I dont see Schultz falling past the third round.

Yes he's big, but he has very bad mobility, and ugly skating mechanics. He has some defensive issues as well. He can move the puck very well though for a big man, he shoots very hard, he can pass the puck well, He's a pretty smart hockey player. I see him as a late 2nd or early 3rd.
I dont know if he would be in my top 15....He might.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
May be so but how many highly ranked lanky dmen have also turned to busts. I'm not too high on Big guys without offense and hockey sense.

Without offense????

Guy leads the Hitmen defensemen in goals, is on the first PP point-unit with Getzlaf, and has great puckhandling skills given his size. He certainly is no stranger to lugging the puck up the ice himself.

Fact remains that this season he's been a top-10 defenseman in the WHL, regardless of age. His size is too ingruiging to pass on, especially when he fills out his frame, which will only be a matter of time.

His hockey sense is alright. He jumps into the play at good times, and rarely makes a bad pinch. The only knock I'd have on him is that he's still a bit uncoordinated when the puck is close to him, which is expected considering he's 6'5 and still learning his body.

Personally, aside from the last two games, Schultz has looked great. I've seen him in match-ups against Barker, and although it was only one game, he definitely outplayed him.

In my opinion, Schultz needs to work on consistency and he has to develop an edge. He's got a great tutor in Egener for that, and I'd expect to see Schultz as a 20-30th overall selection, and I'd be surprised if he fell further then that.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Aaron Vickers said:
Without offense????

Guy leads the Hitmen defensemen in goals, is on the first PP point-unit with Getzlaf, and has great puckhandling skills given his size. He certainly is no stranger to lugging the puck up the ice himself.

Fact remains that this season he's been a top-10 defenseman in the WHL, regardless of age. His size is too ingruiging to pass on, especially when he fills out his frame, which will only be a matter of time.

His hockey sense is alright. He jumps into the play at good times, and rarely makes a bad pinch. The only knock I'd have on him is that he's still a bit uncoordinated when the puck is close to him, which is expected considering he's 6'5 and still learning his body.

Personally, aside from the last two games, Schultz has looked great. I've seen him in match-ups against Barker, and although it was only one game, he definitely outplayed him.

In my opinion, Schultz needs to work on consistency and he has to develop an edge. He's got a great tutor in Egener for that, and I'd expect to see Schultz as a 20-30th overall selection, and I'd be surprised if he fell further then that.
I wasn't refering to any defensmen in general....I was actually thinking of ONeill when typeing this up. I was going to fix it but I am too lazy.

db23

A.J. Thelen is number 1 if he decides to opt in. It isn't even close, I don't think. This kid has it all. He was voted the top CCHA defenceman as a 17 year old freshman. He has a good chance of being a first team All American. Only Brian Leetch had a comparable debut of any college defenceman that I can recall. Also Leetch was a year older at the time, a lot smaller, and much more of a one dimensional player. My prediction is that Thelen will be the first defenceman drafted and will go third overall.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
I wasn't refering to any defensmen in general....I was actually thinking of ONeill when typeing this up. I was going to fix it but I am too lazy.

Fair enough.

I'm a huge booster of Schultz, and a lot of people will tell you that.

Now if only he hadn't struggled through the last five games of the year.

At times he's looked amazing, and others he's looked mediocre. Guess that comes with being an 18 year old defenseman finding himself.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
db23 said:
A.J. Thelen is number 1 if he decides to opt in. It isn't even close, I don't think. This kid has it all. He was voted the top CCHA defenceman as a 17 year old freshman. He has a good chance of being a first team All American. Only Brian Leetch had a comparable debut of any college defenceman that I can recall. Also Leetch was a year older at the time, a lot smaller, and much more of a one dimensional player. My prediction is that Thelen will be the first defenceman drafted and will go third overall.

I am a big Thelen fan, and from what I hear there will be a decison made soon as to wheter the NCAA will change the rule that Dave Poulin is pushing for. If it's not changed I would be shocked to see Thelen, O'Neil, in this years draft which would make next years draft even better, ouch.

SwOOsh*

Leafaholix said:
My top 15...

1. Cam Barker (Medicine Hat)
2. Mike Green (Saskatoon)
3. Johan Fransson (Lulea)
4. Boris Valabik (Kitchener)
5. Wes O'Neill (Notre Dame)
6. Roman Tesliuk (Kamloops)
7. A.J. Thelen (Michigan State)
8. Ladislav Smid (Liberec)
9. Andrej Meszaros (Trencin)
10. Alexander Tang (Frolunda)
11. Anton Belov (HC CKSA Moscow)
12. Kirill Lyamin (HC CKSA Moscow)
13. Oscar Hedman (Modo)
14. Kyle Wharton (Ottawa)
15. Sami Lepisto (Jokerit)

That is a great top 15, I agree 100% maybe just with Schultz in one of the bottom slots but I'm not really that high on him either...

db23

Well, I checked it out and I don't agree. I will bet money that Thelen goes in the top 5 picks, and Al Montoya in the top 10 picks. Also, I don't agree with your statement about Komisarek's "elite status coming into question". When they drafted him, most people didin't think he would turn pro until the end of this season. He is well ahead of projections, and if the Habs didin't have so much depth at his position he would be in the running for the Calder Trophy.

leafaholix*

Flames Draft Watcher said:
So I take it you wouldn't have been drafting Pronger in the top 3?

Writing off skinny defensemen seems more than a little ridiculous to me.
I'm just not high on the oversized defensemen.

Pronger is the only good two-way defenseman around 6'6.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
db23 said:
Well, I checked it out and I don't agree. I will bet money that Thelen goes in the top 5 picks, and Al Montoya in the top 10 picks. Also, I don't agree with your statement about Komisarek's "elite status coming into question". When they drafted him, most people didin't think he would turn pro until the end of this season. He is well ahead of projections, and if the Habs didin't have so much depth at his position he would be in the running for the Calder Trophy.
Send all those bets to me.....I'm sure you are right though.

DR. Holiday

X-SHARKIE said:
Schultz has some major upside, but he has alllllot of work to do before he hits that. I think any NHL team that drafts him well have to do extensive interviewing to see what makes this guy tick. He also needs to drafted into a good system. I dont see Schultz falling past the third round.

Yes he's big, but he has very bad mobility, and ugly skating mechanics. He has some defensive issues as well. He can move the puck very well though for a big man, he shoots very hard, he can pass the puck well, He's a pretty smart hockey player. I see him as a late 2nd or early 3rd.
I dont know if he would be in my top 15....He might.

Maybe you should GO SEE A GAME LIVE rather than depending on McKeen's for what they think of Schultz. His skating is very underrated. You don't see him falling past the third round!!!!!!!!!!! Very bold prediction considering that will be a hundred picks by the end of the 3rd with compensation included.

The Austrian

dunwoody_joe said:
If Pock wants to play immediately and stay for a long time tell him to sign with Atlanta.

He can start Monday night!

yeah ! atlanta would be great ( my dream was, that thomas vanek will also play their. was destroyed when buffalo draftet him ).

But here in Austrian Newspapers you can read that the Devils and the Islanders are red hot on him.

gopher

Dec 5, 2002
Europe
www.legioxv.org
tomd said:
I seem to recall Redline Report indicating that Pock would have to be drafted because he was European (despite being overage and playing NCAA hockey).

i´ve talked with thomas last week!

he ensured me that he is definitely an free agent
and that there is no doubt about his status!

Last edited:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
The hell they are, Barker is the total package. He has speed and offensive abilities Phaneuf and Suter could only dream about. Barker is going to be the next Niedermayer.

I agree, I seen Barker play last year at the Canada Winter Games and he is just amazing. So much skill it is scary, IMO this guy is a franchise d-man in the making. I don't see where is stock feel this year?

db23

Barker and Thelen are on par with Bouwmeester and Pitkanen from a couple years ago.

choda32

Mar 17, 2004
y isnt thelen rated higher.. this kid is averaging a point per game in the ncaa, i also like barker and green .. i think oneill could go mid first round but could turn out to be a gem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad