Defensemen in 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
borro said:
I hope you are joking. -15 is impressive?

Actually, I'm not looking at all at the plus/minus stats. I think every hockey player know this statistic is not very valuable. Pierre Dagenais led the Habs in plus/minus last year but I will never believe he was the best defensive player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like Steve Birnstill (Northeastern) and I've heard a lot of good about Jonathan Sigalet (Bowling Green). Also Cornell Freshman, Sasha Pokulok is big at 6'5 200, played for the Noter Dame Hounds last year. Seems to be doing well at CU.

leafaholix*

acadienboy said:
Playing on the pk for a team that fights to get out of the botom of the league is not that bad i think
PK has nothing to do with +/-.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
borro said:
I take it from this that Ryan has not or is not playing any defense. Maybe you did this already but can you rank the top say twelve dmen and give me a wild guess of their likely draft position (assuming a normal 2005 draft.) I'm not sure if your list was prioritized or not. Where do Belov and Anikienko fit in? I would say something like this:

1. Jack Johnson Top3
2. Mark Staal Top8-12
3. Vitaly Anikienko Top15 (This years Valabik)
4. Luc Bourdon Top20
5. J.P. Paquet Top25
6. Deverereax Heshmatpour Top25
7. Teemu Laakso Top 30
8. Ryan Parent 25-35
9. Dustin Kohn 30-40
10. Anton Belov 30-40
11. Andrew Andricopoulous 35-45
12. Brendan Mikkelson 45-55

Did I miss any guys? Am I way off on any? I'd like to see what you think Sharkie. Can you also comment on defensive ability. Hitting, +-, Intinidation etc. That seems to go largely unnoticed.

One guy everyone is missing, it seems, is the Medicine Hat Tiger's #2 d-man
Kris Russell. In 22 games so far this season he has 9 goals, 9 assists and is a plus 10. This is only his 2nd season in the WHL and has quickly climbed up the depth ladder. He is an offensive, jump up in the rush, type of d-man. His only drawback is his size - but he is tough. He was on the gold medal winning U-18 tourney last year.

leafaholix*

Peter said:
Kris Russell. In 22 games so far this season he has 9 goals, 9 assists and is a plus 10. This is only his 2nd season in the WHL and has quickly climbed up the depth ladder. He is an offensive, jump up in the rush, type of d-man. His only drawback is his size - but he is tough. He was on the gold medal winning U-18 tourney last year.
Yeah, a lot of praise was given to him by the broadcasters last year during the Memorial Cup. He seems like a good player.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Peter said:

I like him too but he will likely go pretty late. 6-9th round. He's really tiny at 5-10 and 157lbs. At least he's tough. If he grows 2 inches and puts on 30lbs (6'0'', 190lbs) he could have a chance in the NHL one day... but he'll still be small.

I wonder if he should think of converting to fwrd? Or maybe he doesn't mind the idea of a career in Europe.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Peter said:

When you look at where comparable guys have gone you can probably get a decent idea of where he'll go. Ian White went #191 overall, and White was scoring quite a bit more in his draft year than Russell this year. Derek Meech went #229. Russell will probably be in the same neighborhood .. 7th-9th round.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
This years defensive draft doesn't have alot of possible #1's(Johnson only one) but has a plethora of 2-5's maybe going 3 or 4 rounds deep or more. That's what it seems like.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Judging from last night's QMJHL vs. Ruskies, both Paquet and Bourden looked solid. Not flashy (Paquet a little bit moreso than Bourden) but poised.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Hagemo from Minny is looking quit good. Looks like Ballard a bit. Strong on his skates especially for a fresh and hits well. Has some O up side too. Slowed by and injury early but is playng good again. Nothing special but after Peltier went in the 4-5th last year and Goligoski went 2nd. Hagemo is in between those two IMO so far this year.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Remember this name, Ryan Parent. He is the best 1987 born Dman in the OHL right now and is a guranteed lock for the 1st round. If he continues to his developmental path throughout the season and into the play-offs, he will go in the top 15. He is a future Adam Foote.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
VOB said:
Remember this name, Ryan Parent. He is the best 1987 born Dman in the OHL right now and is a guranteed lock for the 1st round. If he continues to his developmental path throughout the season and into the play-offs, he will go in the top 15. He is a future Adam Foote.

Actually, I'd call him the best '87 defenseman in all of Canada. He is EXTREMELY poised and consistent for a 17 yr old. Very strong upper body too. He's not flashy but just a rock on the D.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
steblick said:
Actually, I'd call him the best '87 defenseman in all of Canada. He is EXTREMELY poised and consistent for a 17 yr old. Very strong upper body too. He's not flashy but just a rock on the D.

Can't comment on players in the WHL or the Q as I have not seen any of them but I feel that Parent should go higher than Lashoff, Kindle, and Staal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad