Defenseman prospects are small and soft

TheWook

Nov 4, 2012
Rochester
Im not sure about the players in this draft, but I would also like to see a big, mobile defensive defensemen in our prospect pool.

I know we have guys like Lepkowski and Austin but they are projects and likely have limited upside. McNabb has been pretty disappointing so far this year.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I mean yeah, given where we are pretty much everywhere else in the prospect pool, a tough defenseman is probably the pick, but I think people acting like this is a serious need are getting worked up over nothing. Our blueline still has a decent mix of goal prevention and scoring even if it doesn't have a bruiser aside from McNabb.

Physically imposing shutdown defensemen are also incredibly difficult to scout and develop. Unless that type of player is solidly in the BPA conversation whenever Buffalo picks I'm not reaching, even if the physical blueliner is only a half-tier below his peers (and I was consistently in favor of taking scoring forwards in past drafts regardless of who else was on the board). Buffalo's prospect pool has a strong enough foundation to keep adding the highest top end whenever possible and using the middle rounds to add a few bruising blueliners. Hopefully one of them has a development spike a-la Hamonic, Francois Beauchemin or (please jah) Shea Weber.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
It's the exception of Braden McNabb each of the top Sabres top defenseman prospects (Pysyk, Guthier Leduc, Brennon, McCabe) lack size and grit.

I hope Darcy Regier will address this in the next draft.

Most of the guys you listed are neither small (all of them are over 6'0) or soft, they are just not really physical, that's a difference.

I agree that our blue-line could use some more grit, but the problem isn't nearly as pressing as you make it out to be, especially since very few really physical D-Men ever make it in the NHL, outside of an #6/#7-role.

Besides, we have some Physical Defensemen in our system in Alex Lepkowski, Brady Austin and, if you want to count him, Joe Finley. Yes, most of them are projects, but guess what: That's because of what I just mentioned, very few physical D-Men make it and they are very hard to find, so you have to rely on projects. Very few physical D-Men get picked in the first 1-2 rounds anyway, and that's no coincidence.

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
With McCabe (not really soft), Lepkowski, MacKenzie, and Austin I think the Sabres are fine.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Im not sure about the players in this draft, but I would also like to see a big, mobile defensive defensemen in our prospect pool.

I know we have guys like Lepkowski and Austin but they are projects and likely have limited upside. McNabb has been pretty disappointing so far this year.

I wouldn't agree with the bolded. Austin has looked really good as well this year.

TheWook

Nov 4, 2012
Rochester
I wouldn't agree with the bolded. Austin has looked really good as well this year.

Thats good to hear since I dont really follow either of them very much. I was just going off the fact that later draft picks are usually projects and alot dont really pan out.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, this is a bit of an issue, but they definitely need to add more top end forward talent through the draft IMO. having armia, grigs, and girgs is nice, but after that, adam's really the only guy who could get into our top 6 (idk how he's doing this year in rochester, hopefully he's bounced back at least a bit from his slide last year?)

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Yeah, this is a bit of an issue, but they definitely need to add more top end forward talent through the draft IMO. having armia, grigs, and girgs is nice, but after that, adam's really the only guy who could get into our top 6 (idk how he's doing this year in rochester, hopefully he's bounced back at least a bit from his slide last year?)

Corey Tropp.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Corey Tropp.

I'm a huge Tropp fan and I think he's very underrated, I don't see him as a lock for a top 6 position, but I can see him filling in should injuries pile up and we need him to play there.

We had him playing with Gaustad and Gerbe, I would've liked to see what he could do with Vanek and Hodgson for a whole year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
None of those players lack size. Pysyk isn't overly physical, but he certainly will go into the corners and do what needs to be done. Brennan can be a very physical player, though I question his upside as an NHL player given his poor decision-making in his own end. Don't feel I've seen enough of JGL or McCabe to comment on the type of game they play.
In any case, I still feel the organization's biggest need, and what should be our focus in this draft, is for more quality/skilled forwards, particularly wingers (now that we've got Ennis, Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Catenacci as (potential) options down the middle). If we need a physical 2nd or 3rd pairing d-man, it shouldn't be too hard to pick one up as an FA or in a trade.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Tough physical dmen and third line centers is a great place to infuse playoff experience into a roster. Generally they are the last people to get resigned and are usually available for trades around deadline time. I'd rather draft goal scoring talent and scavenge for role players.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Tough physical dmen and third line centers is a great place to infuse playoff experience into a roster. Generally they are the last people to get resigned and are usually available for trades around deadline time. I'd rather draft goal scoring talent and scavenge for role players.

Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad