Kings Article: Defenseman Prospect Kale Clague's Development Is On A Fast Track

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
During their 2018 training camp, the Los Angeles Kings weren't seeing what they wanted to see from defenseman prospect Kale Clague—they weren't seeing him use his elite skating ability and he needed to be considerably better in the defensive zone.

But oh what a difference three months has made for Clague, who has improved rather dramatically.

For more...

Defenseman Prospect Kale Clague’s Development Is On A Fast Track

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Great to hear about his confidence. Hopefully once he gets over that hump he never looks back.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Great write-up, Gann! Always appreciated. If there was any truth to Toronto wanting Clague as part of a deal for Nylander, glad he's set on keeping Clague. (if those rumors were true)

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Does Clague have serious NHL potential ? I remember people being hesitant about him

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Does Clague have serious NHL potential ? I remember people being hesitant about him

He definitely does. He's only 20 years old. Granted, he could also bust, but it's his first full professional season.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

He's looked pretty rough in the two consecutive years of preseason action. Granted, he's still very young, but he looked physically immature and incapable of handling NHL opponents during those games.

Clague has average size, so he has to be pretty elusive and avoid putting himself into prone situations, which I saw happen on more than one occasion against the Ducks in a preseason game last year and also this year as well.

He's got the skating ability and passing to be a second pairing, puck moving defenseman. If all goes well, I think he's probably two to three years away from becoming a regular defenseman.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He definitely does. He's only 20 years old. Granted, he could also bust, but it's his first full professional season.

One thing to consider is that puck moving left shot second pairing defenseman, his projection, is probably the easiest position to fill in the sport. Even if you have trouble developing your own, they are easy to acquire from the outside, especially those at a more mature age. There is a lot of competition for that role.

Clague will need to find consistency and confidence to secure a spot, he definitely has the physicsl tools. Hopefully he continues on the current path, because he can inject some talent on the back end.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't see Clague completely flaming out, but I do somewhat see boom/bust in him. I think he's either going to be that Voynov replacement we've been looking for, or he's going to end up like a McBain who is an AHL/NHL tweener. The way he's adjusting so far is very reminiscent of what we saw in Voynov. With Slava however, he was blocked on the roster, which ended up being fantastic for his development. Since the roster isn't that deep now management needs to be careful not to rush him and let him go his own pace. The league is much different than 7 years ago which benefits Kale's style, but inserting a D-man that young is a whole different animal than bringing up a forward to see what they have.

If he continues his growth and becomes dominant at the AHL level, I think he will be very likely to carry that over into the NHL.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
One thing to consider is that puck moving left shot second pairing defenseman, his projection, is probably the easiest position to fill in the sport. Even if you have trouble developing your own, they are easy to acquire from the outside, especially those at a more mature age. There is a lot of competition for that role.

Clague will need to find consistency and confidence to secure a spot, he definitely has the physicsl tools. Hopefully he continues on the current path, because he can inject some talent on the back end.
Like him even more if he puts on 15-20 lbs of muscle, which would make him about the same size as Voynov. Can't change him from a LH to RH shot though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Good to read quotes from Stothers about Clague improving his defensive game by utilizing his skating. By all accounts, this kids upside is Nhl next year, at least part time, and number 2/3 D in his prime.

What worries me is who in the Kings is helping Clague with his offensive game, because he’ll need to improve there if he’s to meet his projections. I hope they take some of Adam Oates consulting fees and spend them on prospects like Clague. Because I don’t trust CJ, OD and Greener to teach Clague how to get better at making slick passes and driving transition.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good to read quotes from Stothers about Clague improving his defensive game by utilizing his skating. By all accounts, this kids upside is Nhl next year, at least part time, and number 2/3 D in his prime.

What worries me is who in the Kings is helping Clague with his offensive game, because he’ll need to improve there if he’s to meet his projections. I hope they take some of Adam Oates consulting fees and spend them on prospects like Clague. Because I don’t trust CJ, OD and Greener to teach Clague how to get better at making slick passes and driving transition.

I agree this is encouraging to hear. My concern is sort of like yours--does he have the offensive game to overlook his defensive game? Sort of like Torey Krug breaking in. He obviously needed to improve both at a pro level. My long term concern wasn't so much his toolbox but what was between his ears on this side of the red line, and not even about getting muscled in the corners, it was about being lost in the slot when you need your head on a swivel. I have lower hopes than most still but if he can settle in like Krug as a 2nd pairing guy I'd be satisfied.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
After watching him for a couple of months in person and on AHL live, you can see his offensive game coming around a bit the last couple weeks. As Stothers said, he's been a bit tentative due to taking risks earlier in the season (joining the rush for example) and getting burned a lot. He's going to have to get a lot stronger, so there is really no need to rush him. You can see the talent with the puck and a bit of time and space, but he has to be more aware of the players speed at this level with his positioning, and improve his reads and positioning along the walls. He's only 20, and most D men with promise don't break into the NHL until they are 23 unless they are every elite players. I pretty confident he'll get there, but some patience will be required. Brickley, despite his flaws at the AHL level, has the size to compensate more than Clague, plus Bricks is 3 years older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad