Prospect Info: Defenseman Kevin Bahl

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Would be nice to get a defensemen who can hit again, the last good one was Volchenkov for a brief while.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Is he projected to be better than Santini was at their same age. Hoping he becomes more than Santini was for us.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
bahl is a year older and a much better prospect all around but ill still give that a lol

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Santini was looking like a gem when he was Bahl's age, but he didn't pan out. It happens. That said, I don't think Santini was ever as highly regarded as Bahl is now.

Santini was always a prospect that didnt excite me because he was never great at anything. Wasnt overly big, fast, skilled, or smart. Bahl is obviously very big and can skate well plus is supposed to be very smart. So to me his ceiling is much higher than Santini's ever was.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Really doubt the Devils know him well enough to like him better than Soderstrom. I don't think we have anyone that plays for the 67s, and if we scout their games, I'm sure we're watching the 2020s and maybe the 2021s. It sounds like we did know him a little bit from scouting the 2018 draft, and Shero said we had him higher than Arizona took him, so there's that, but really doubt we'd know him well enough to think he was better than a guy that went 11th overall.

We have like three or four other guys playing for the 67's.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Santini was always a prospect that didnt excite me because he was never great at anything. Wasnt overly big, fast, skilled, or smart. Bahl is obviously very big and can skate well plus is supposed to be very smart. So to me his ceiling is much higher than Santini's ever was.
That just isn't at all true. At the time he was drafted Santini was considered to have a super high hockey IQ. His Dad was a coach and a rink owner he grew up understanding the game at high level. Most Team USA coaches lavished praises on him regarding his awareness and IQ. His skating and mobility were always considered excellent. At the U18 he was named one of Team USA best 3 players and best Dman of the tournament. His pedigree at 18 and 19 was high. He was especially highly regarded by Team USA for his leadership qualities and most certainly would've been the captain of the U20 team had he not hurt his wrist in his 19 year old year that had him miss the tournament...

Obviously it didn't work out here but as a prospect Santini was definitely a highly touted one. Making like he wasn't good at anything is truly revisionism.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Exactly the type of defenceman the devils need . Just hope he continues to develop and improve .
I’m a little bit concerned about the first exhibition game at WJC that Smith had but it is very early yet and the important games are yet to be played

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
That just isn't at all true. At the time he was drafted Santini was considered to have a super high hockey IQ. His Dad was a coach and a rink owner he grew up understanding the game at high level. Most Team USA coaches lavished praises on him regarding his awareness and IQ. His skating and mobility were always considered excellent. At the U18 he was named one of Team USA best 3 players and best Dman of the tournament. His pedigree at 18 and 19 was high. He was especially highly regarded by Team USA for his leadership qualities and most certainly would've been the captain of the U20 team had he not hurt his wrist in his 19 year old year that had him miss the tournament...

Obviously it didn't work out here but as a prospect Santini was definitely a highly touted one. Making like he wasn't good at anything is truly revisionism.

definitely wasn’t what i was ever told by people who scouted him. Always said he was limited with his skating and skill.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
definitely wasn’t what i was ever told by people who scouted him. Always said he was limited with his skating and skill.

I still think Santini's north-south skating is above-average for an NHL defenseman; his lateral movement is probably not great, but it's acceptable. He was just not able to defend the blue line. A player can be as limited offensively and puck skills-wise as Santini was and can still make it, but he just didn't have the stellar gap control and 1 on 1 defending skills a guy like that needs to be effective.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
OIP.zlum84sM5-PM72e-H4XffQHaE6

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Bahl and Smith both played amazing in today’s game vs the US .
Bahl blew up a few guys on some really nice hits in the first half of the game .
Obviously I’m biased but I thought Smith and Bahl were TC’s two best D in the game . Better than Byram overall (Byram is younger though and has more offensive upside)
Bahl got danced around once in tight down low but with better gap control it wouldn’t be an issue as his reach and skating looked very good

Reactions: My3Sons

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I thought Bahl was decent today. You can see the physical potential defensively and he’s a virtual lock to win most board battles. He can really impact the game by throwing his weight around. Also had a real nice play to break out that led to the first goal.

On the other hand, he seemed rigid to me at times and he had some lapses in spatial awareness in his own zone. The 4/5 potential is apparent, but there are also clear limitations on his upside.

All in all, you have to hope that he can fill an important role for the team as a physical shutdown guy.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad