Defenseman in 2011 Draft

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by jgthibault, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jgthibault

jgthibault Registered User

Adam Larsson is my favorite, but I'm verry busy with all the others first rounder D. Can you tell me your opinions for these one and wich style do they play (player comparaison). I know it's difficult to compare an offensive D (Murphy) with a more defensive one (Musil), but I wan't to know wich one will probably have the best NHL carreer and wich one is the more NHL ready.

Here's my list (in order of preferance).

Murphy
    Siemans
    Hamilton
    Musil
    Beaulieu
    Oleksiak

You can add your own D too ...

Sorry for my english ... I'm french :P

2. ulysse84

ulysse84 Registered User

Larsson ....no problem it's my 1st

Hamilton
    Siemens
    Beaulieu/Musil
    Bell
    Murphy
    Clendening

Long shot..................Joel Edmundson

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. 4Isles4*

4Isles4* Guest

Your English is Great....For my team I like Larsson-Hamilton-Musil

4. romelson

romelson Registered User

Surely not first-rounders, but two risers in the rankings should be Dahlbeck & Styrman. Both had a good WJC and both were eligible at the last draft.

5. hawksfan50

hawksfan50 Registered User

Actually I think HAMILTON willbe the best NHL D-man out of this crop (Although I have not seen SIEMENS play yet ,but I do think HAMILTON will pan out better than LARSSON..that is not to say LARSSON will bust, he probably will still go as the 1st d-man taken in the draft --scouts say LARSON is ahead of HEDMAN in development at this point-but I say HAMILTON projects better than GUDBRANSON so that is sort of like saying this draft has 2 very premier D-man prospects in it ...LARSSON may indeed prove better than Hedman as an NHL'er -but whether he ever impacts like LIDSTROM who they compare him to id debateable--not sure LARSSON has LIDSTROM's shot...HAMILTON for a big 6'4 195 d-man who is already very strong and easily shoves guys off pucks -will only get bigger and strongeron that frame..Wide-wingspan and active stick closes off pasing lanes..Very good hockey insticts both defensively and joining the rush ,good rushing pucks out or on outlet passes up ice to start the offense..WILL EAT UP MINUTES on a fist pairing in shutting down oppoents attack..doesn't make a lot of mistakes/turnovers...just a TERRFIC AND FAST SKATER ...gets to loose pucks and clears or takes it away ...and this guy kEEPS IMPROVING so the upside is stratospheric ...ONly 2 flaws i can see:
    i) tends to pass first often not taking shots from the point that are there -so we do not know enough yet about his shot IF he used it more and ii) while he easily knocks guys off pucks --he displays little nastyness in doing it -this makes him more "efficient-physical" than "nasty-physical " --on the other hand LARSSON is not nasty-physical either...I guess SIEMENS might be more of that type though he is supposedly a good skater too..BUT HAMILTON and LARSSON both think the game better.

MURPHY of course is a small skilled D-man -and so gets shoved down in ranking on the size issues..BUT he is an exceptional talent of his type.

these guys probably represent better value on a risk basis than any of the forwards in this draft except maybe Landeskog ...there is no way the forwards in this draft exvept maybe Landeskog compare to the forwards say at the top of the 2006 draft
    --they would rank further down thanwhere they are compared to that exceptional crop of premier forwards...

HOWEVER -I think that LARSSON,HAMILITON ,MURPHY and SIEMENS propbably is a very exceptional crop of D-men for a draft --HAMILTON is a can't-miss to be a linchpin D-man of the NHL team that drafts him ...possibly Larsson too BUT i think he may have peaked early and not develop much more than he is now...MURPHY is too good anoffensive catalyst not to help a lot of NHL teams' attack -he is exceptional on some of the things he can do BUT like any smller D-man you worry about his defense againt bigger stronger NHL'ers...SIEMENS --well again I have not seen him play but thereseems to be a difference in some of the rankings--ISS seems to like him to a greatr degree than does Central Scouting-still he should be at least the #3 or #4 D-man taken at his draft..

6. cheerupmurray

cheerupmurray Registered User

Do you really think they will get drafted? Im not so sure about that, Dahlbeck might have the best chance. I think there are plenty of promising swedish defensemen in this years draft, but not much hype about players like Brodin, Klefbom, Norén and Rasmus Bengtsson. I guess Larsson is stealing the spotlight.

7. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

the guy that is really going to jump some of the above mentioned dmen this June, will be Scott Mayfield from Youngstown of the USHL. Think a bigger and meaner version of John Carlson, and that is exactly what his upside is. I know his stats arent overwhelming, but neither were Erik Gudbranson's last year, and he got drafted just fine.

Mayfield plays a physical punishing game that his 6'4 190lb frame will only grow more into. Mayfield also has a very high end motor that allows him to skate much better then most 6'4 kids can. His vision and hands are above average as well, and his defensive game is well above average. He just does everything at above average imo, and this kid will go very high come June.

His stats arent going to wow many yet, but being on the crappiest team in the USHL the past two years wont help that much. He needs to use that big shot he has much more often, but from all accounts, scouts are drooling over what this kid will one day be, and not just where he currently is. I have seen Siemens play, not so much Hamilton, but I would be shocked if Mayfield does not get drafted right behind Larsson and Murphy come June.

8. Pentothal

Pentothal Listen with one ear

Nobody works in Euro-pe
    Although I haven't watched him more than a couple of games, I'm really intrigued by Klefbom. He seems good at everything and has great size (6'3'', 200+ lbs). Does anyone have a scouting report to give on him?

9. SDig14

SDig14 Registered User

Student
    He's finally getting his recognition...I don't even think it will be a shock if/when he goes higher than some of those D because by June 24th he will be a well known name

He's got stiff competition near the top, but he is my top 5 with Larsson, Murphy, Siemens, and Hamilton...I prefer the bigger guys, so I have Murphy as 5th amongst those guys

I think it will come down to need when picking these guys though, whether they need a puck mover, a nasty shutdown guy with offensive potential, an all around guy, or simply a pure offensive guy

10. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    1. Larsson
    2. Murphy
    3. Siemens
    4. Hamilton
    5. Musil

Then IMO it takes a bit of a drop. More than a bit actually.

11. Denfensman

EDIT: but to be productive I really want Duncan Siemens.

He's a more talented Dylan McIlrath I think.

12. SDig14

SDig14 Registered User

Student
    Pretty fair. Out of my 2 live viewings he seems to be a better skater, has more offensive upside, and can be potentially just as nasty in the corners and in front of the net

I never saw him fight, so I don't know if he has that element, but I would imagine he would be willing to drop the mitts for his team

13. leoleo3535

leoleo3535 Registered User

All of the games are available on line for nickels....treat yourself.

14. Crede777

Crede777 Deputized

I was thinking that Mayfield would make a good 2nd round pick for the Jackets. Hope he doesn't go sooner.

15. Arizonan God

Arizonan God Registered User

Larsson
    Murphy
    Hamilton
    Seimens
    Musil
    Beaulieu
    Clendening

16. ManByng

ManByng It's Me OilTastic

building manager
    boy i hope my Oilers can draft either Oscar Klefbom or Rasmus Bengtsson in later rounds.

17. Dougie Seguin

Dougie Seguin 2011 Cup Champs

are their any dman that could be late rounders that have a ton of potential, kind of like a Tobias Enstrom..late rounder but is having a great NHL career so far

18. Gobo

Gobo Stop looking Gare

Nothing
    Then they wouldn't be late rounders if we knew. ;)

Larsson
    Siemens
    Hamilton
    Murphy
    Musil

19. newfy

newfy Registered User

Whats the scouting report on Mayfield. He's not much of a fighter it looks like but he racks up a lot of PIMs. Is he just nasty with stick work infront of the net etc or is he a guy who throws huge hits and will get a lot of boarding and charging calls.

Seeing a guy get 150 PIMs with like 1 fight is a little odd to me