Defense

Dado

Only Edler and Bieksa the defensive question-marks for a core like that. Everything else is virtuallly impenetrable.

That's 2 out of 3 pairings. This is a definition of "impenetrable" with which I am not completely familiar.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
2 periods played and I don't think the Avs have had a scoring when Bieksa HASN'T been on the ice. 3 or 4 of those single-handedly his fault, soft and easy individual mistakes that cannot be possibly blamed on anyone else.

He's the question mark right now. Coaching staff will play him 20+ minutes no matter what, and it's going to come down to his performance how the Canucks do in the playoffs.

He's been playing like absolute garbage so far this season and unless that changes, this Canucks team will share the fate of those pre 2010 teams that got eliminated when Bieksa was literally the worst top 4 defenceman in the league. He's been on that level this season.

After game edit: yeah, no surprise the Canucks lost that game. Things tend to add up in the long run and when a top 4 player is that horrible, it's going to show in the big picture. If Bieksa plays this bad when the stakes are higher and teams are better, the Canucks will come out of games on the losing side more often than not. Schneider can't keep bailing his team out indefinitely, it's practically impossible because at some point the enemy team will start to capitalize no matter what the goalie does, you just have to limit chances to try to prevent that from happening. Bieksa has been doing the opposite.

Last edited:

Outside99*

Team has no depth at all on the right side, why nobody has been signed is beyond me. Garrison has been admirable but you can tell he's not 100% comfortable.

Also, Ballard has to be bought out this summer, not worth the cap hit. I understand he's a great teammate and loves it here but he brings no offence at all and often looks lost out there in his own zone - he's really only played well here with Tanev.

Alflives*

Team has no depth at all on the right side, why nobody has been signed is beyond me. Garrison has been admirable but you can tell he's not 100% comfortable.

Also, Ballard has to be bought out this summer, not worth the cap hit. I understand he's a great teammate and loves it here but he brings no offence at all and often looks lost out there in his own zone - he's really only played well here with Tanev.

All the Canuck's D-men appear to play better, when matched with Tanev. What does that say about the Canuck's (so called) top 4 guys? More importantly, what does that say about the (soon to be on another team, by the way of an offer sheet) Chris Tanev? Is Mike Gillis correct, when he states the Canuck's D is the strongest part of their team?

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
All the Canuck's D-men appear to play better, when matched with Tanev. What does that say about the Canuck's (so called) top 4 guys? More importantly, what does that say about the (soon to be on another team, by the way of an offer sheet) Chris Tanev? Is Mike Gillis correct, when he states the Canuck's D is the strongest part of their team?

There have been, what, 2 successful offer sheets since 2006? While it remains a possibility due to next year being a massive cap crunch year for us (which incidentally is IMO the reason we did not offer Salo a two year deal - it would have been cap suicide), it's fairly unlikely. Especially given he is most assuredly not a point-producing d-man.

Alflives*

There have been, what, 2 successful offer sheets since 2006? While it remains a possibility due to next year being a massive cap crunch year for us (which incidentally is IMO the reason we did not offer Salo a two year deal - it would have been cap suicide), it's fairly unlikely. Especially given he is most assuredly not a point-producing d-man.

Good point about not signing Salo. How much (and for what term) do you believe the Canucks will sign Tanev for?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->