Defense! You're doing it wrong!!!

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
382362_537365552971082_913430945_n.jpg

Hmm..where to start:

1)Kulemin, #41. Why are you down so damned low? Your job is to cover the defenseman on the point. Never in most instances go below the hash marks!

2)Holzer. Why are you behind the net also? Your job is picking up the guy in front of the net.

3)Grabovski. You're the swing man, you are the alternate guy to close the gap with the open man. Why are you just staring at the puck?

So much fail. What happened to basic defense 101?:shakehead

Pathetic for NHLers. The only guy I don't fault on the play is Liles.

It looks like Reimer is screaming for someone to pick up the Staal with the way his stick is pointed. No one is listening!

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Yep. Even though this is just a still-shot and thus not necessarily representative of what typically goes on, we should never have four guys in the corner and nobody in front of the net.

Seriously, they teach this stuff in Novice.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Grabo is the # 1 guy to blame on that play. He was the last guy to join the party. He is responsible for the other center and he had no idea where that center was or was anywhere near him.

Holzer at least has a man and was there before Grabo.

I always laugh to myself when people call Grabo great defensively.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Grabo is the # 1 guy to blame on that play. He was the last guy to join the party. He is responsible for the other center and he had no idea where that center was or was anywhere near him.

But even as a defenseman, you never go behind the net unless the play comes to your side and you know you have coverage. As a defenseman you shouldn't care how many are behind the net(or red line). As the alternate guy not in your corner, your #1 job is always in front of the net.

1)Pick-up the open man 2)Deflect or attempt to block centering passes for SOG's 3) Also look for guys trying to do wrap-arounds if that happens.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We had four guys in the corner vs two guys and we still didn't get the puck.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Grabo is only good at anything every 2.25 games or so. He's not exactly good every other night, but whenever he shows up people love him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We had four guys in the corner vs two guys and we still didn't get the puck.

This is the worst thing out of this.

It's all right to out-man your opponent in the corners, it's actually a great way to defend... but you have to get the puck if you do.

Boston does this all the time. You got 3 in the corner? They'll send 4. You got your whole team there? Ditto.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
That drove me nuts...

Also, Liles lost the race to the puck on the icing, so he was at fault too. The best is Reimer pointing and probably yelling at Holzer... "umm guys? In front here?"

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Until the Leafs sort out their injuries, I expect a lot of these young mistakes.

But Kulemin and Grabovksi are veterans. They should both know better.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
That drove me nuts...

This sort of chicken-with-head-cut-off running around like idiots is prevalent EVERY single game. This team is tough to watch and they've been playing like this for several years. I never see any other team with such consistently brutal Dzone play. They constantly look like a bunch of Bantams out there.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
382362_537365552971082_913430945_n.jpg

Hmm..where to start:

1)Kulemin, #41. Why are you down so damned low? Your job is to cover the defenseman on the point. Never in most instances go below the hash marks!

2)Holzer. Why are you behind the net also? Your job is picking up the guy in front of the net.

3)Grabovski. You're the swing man, you are the alternate guy to close the gap with the open man. Why are you just staring at the puck?

So much fail. What happened to basic defense 101?:shakehead

Pathetic for NHLers. The only guy I don't fault on the play is Liles.

It looks like Reimer is screaming for someone to pick up the Staal with the way his stick is pointed. No one is listening!

People are blaming Grabo and maybe he should have grabbed that man in front but that should not have been his man.

Holzer had no business behind the net with that other Cane player. He should have been in front of the net and allowed Grabo to take the odd man. The center responsibility is down low to help out in the corner battles.

Holzer should have been in front of the net watching Staal or at least between him and any puck movement.

Grabo should have adjusted to the AHL D going in the wrong spot.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's a terrible goal to concede.

But I think you can chalk that up to horrible D coverage all around the rink spanning from the lost chase for the icing.

I'm not sure singling one player out offers much at this point.

I read on twitter that Staal was open for 9 seconds by himself in front of the net before the pass came out? That's not just on one person - how does a 1 v 4 scenario end up as a centering pass?

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
People are blaming Grabo and maybe he should have grabbed that man in front but that should not have been his man.

Holzer had no business behind the net with that other Cane player. He should have been in front of the net and allowed Grabo to take the odd man. The center responsibility is down low to help out in the corner battles.

Holzer should have been in front of the net watching Staal or at least between him and any puck movement.

Grabo should have adjusted to the AHL D going in the wrong spot.

This. Holzer messed up royally. But honestly, this team consistently leaves guy standing on Reimer's blue paint, they never seem to take the man in front. Phaneuf is especially weak and pathetic at taking the man in front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad