Line Combos: Defense Pairings For This Year, And The Future

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What would you like to see for this year's defense pairings, and what do you want the defence to look like in a few years?

This year I would like to see

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Weircioch
Phillips-Gryba
Corvo

Next year I would like to see

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Weircioch
Gryba-Ceci
Phillips

For the long term future, my hope would be to lockdown those 6 guys and for the pairings to be

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Weircioch-Gryba

3 pairings with 1 offensive and 1 defensive guy each and with 1 right shot and 1 left shot each.

Left out, Boro. Don't like his game, would rather trade him in a package while he still has some value

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It all depends on if Wiercioch is able to convert to LD IMO. If he can, he becomes our Gonchar in-the-making.

A Cowen-Wiercioch pairing would be so huge and deadly.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Corvo is supposed to help Cowen learn to play defence?

God help us.

We have three top 4 d-men right now, so no pairings are going to look very good.

I don't think Wiercioch, Gryba, Phillips or Corvo are top 4 (yet in the case of Wiercioch).

I'd still almost rather see what Wiercioch can do with Cowen over Corvo.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't remember Wier playing on the left side last year. If he can, that would be the best scenario. With that assumption I see the following:

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/Gryba
Phillips/Wiercioch

with Corvo going in for Gryba and Wiercioch on a rotation basis.

next year

Cowen/Karlsson
Methot/Ceci
Wiercioch/Gryba

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Corvo-karlsson
Corvo-Wier
Cowen-methot
Corvo

I'm a big fan of offense whether it be for or against us:sarcasm:
Seriously though
Methot-karlsson
Phillips-wier
corvo-gryba
cowen(cause hes going to hold out)lol

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips-Corvo/Gryba

Is what I'm hoping for, but training camp always has some nice surprises.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't like the idea of giving Gryba a top 4 spot. He played well in certain games, but he was far too inconsistent for that kind of icetime.

That being said, I thought Wiercioch looked better, but at this point whether or not he can handle big minutes is another thing entirely.

I suppose it will be a more of a feeling out process.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Methot, Karlsson, Cowen & Phillips are permanent fixtures in the lineup while Corvo, Gryba & Wiercioch rotate in & out of the lineup. When Wiercioch goes in one of Gryba or Corvo will come out of the lineup & Phillips will more likely be the guy who moves over to the right side. I wonder if PM will employ the shutdown/PK tandem this yr as he did last season with Cowen & Gryba together or wait for the playoffs to put them together.

Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Corvo/Wiercioch
Cowen - Gryba

Next Season:
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba/Boroweicki or Phillips if he is re-signed.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
I'm amazed so many people are penciling Ceci into the top 4 as soon as next year. He's going to spend a year on the bottom 2 to get acclimated to the NHL, as he should.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm amazed so many people are penciling Ceci into the top 4 as soon as next year. He's going to spend a year on the bottom 2 to get acclimated to the NHL, as he should.

He could get acclimated to the NHL this yr playing games around the trade deadline. Some think he is our #1 prospect & has all the tools to be successful especially offensively. You can never have enough offensive players on your team & with his size he shouldn't take too long to transition from the AHL to the NHL. He will need to improve his defensive play & should early with Luke Richardson (a former NHL defenceman) helping him out. I wonder if Jason Smith will ever be an assistant coach under Luke or whether he may be next in line to coach Bingo or prefers to stay in Ottawa.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Wiercioch
Phillips-Gryba/Corvo

Hate to split up Methot-Karlsson but I think Wier will be needing Methots defensive ability.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
13-14

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Gryba - Phillips
Corvo
Borowiecki

14-15
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Wiercioch
Gryba - Borowiecki
Phillips
Ceci

15-16
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Gryba - Wiercioch
UFA
Sadao

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If Phillips and Gryba gain just a bit more foot speed, they become lethal as a pairing.

WhiteLight*

13-14
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Corvo
Borowiecki

14-15
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba
Borowiecki
Wikstrand

15-16
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba
Borowiecki
Wikstrand

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
These things never really play out this way. We'll get more prospects or players via trade/ufa who will pass some of our current players/prospects.

I could see Karlsson, Methot and Ceci sticking around. After that, it's anybody's guess. Will Wikstrand pass Strangeballs? Don't know....

Will we trade for a dman, or have a future 1st rounder make the jump early? Couldn't say... Stay tuned I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->