Advice: Defending way taller guys

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
I'm a 5'6 winger with a very short stick and I've been having trouble defending 6'++ guys, their reach is just ridiculous. I have speed advantage and the only way I can stop them is by not making any mistakes when angling, but 80% of the time they can always pass when they are almost cornered.

Any tips to improve my defensive game?

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Is this a non-contact league?

Put a hand on them, put your stick in the path of their stick, stop watching the puck all the time.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding... you said you have a speed advantage... this should negate any stick length discrepency of your opponents.

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
Hmm okay probably my limited english.
It's like this. well it's contact league but when you are tracking/angling someone coming at you then you need to be cautious on when your opponent will change directions, right?

With shorter opponents, even if i'm late in anticipating their direction change, 50-50 I could still chase back to either block his body or poke his stick. Now with the taller players, i feel like they can switch 10 feet from left to right in an instant, so I have to take extra steps/time to chase him. Does this make any sense?

getzforfighting*

I'm a 5'6 winger with a very short stick and I've been having trouble defending 6'++ guys, their reach is just ridiculous. I have speed advantage and the only way I can stop them is by not making any mistakes when angling, but 80% of the time they can always pass when they are almost cornered.

Any tips to improve my defensive game?

use ur wheels, get in the passing/shooting lanes, be aggressive. im not a big boy myself but thats what keeps me alive. pressure kills.

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
Yeah that's the general idea, but when you are late in anticipating their moves then chances are they'd have better space to shoot or pass compared to the shorter guys, no? Since they have a longer stick and all. Or am I missing something here?

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
My suggestion is using anticipation. Anticipate when the opponent will receive or make a pass/shot. Clog those lanes. Think of a penalty kill. That point man is always going back and forth between the opposing defenceman and waiting for an opportunity to disrupt the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-SEubzO3Ag

Watch number 11...hes a pain in their butts!

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
Your speed. Like I said use speed and anticipation to your advantage. Be aware of the opposing players and where they are on the ice in relation to you and the person your defending and try to get inbetween the two.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
first I would say don't think about anticipating what they are going to do. Give them one option, the one you want them to have. start with keeping a very tight gap at your defensive blue line (within 1 stick length between you and them) then you should always no matter your size defend from the middle of the rink out. I always teach players that their first move should be inside the dots.

so to explain when the other team is moving the puck out of their zone and beggining to attack, when you decide to back off and defend the rush you make your move to the inside. allow them that lane along the wall.

your gap will be bigger at the offensive blue line and should by the time you have reached your defensive blue line be a stick length or less. still protecting the middle. chest up facing the player, with a tight gap no matter how tall they are compared to you it makes it difficult for them to make a move to the middle.

now just guide them down the wall, at some point you should be able to transition and angle them off the puck, if you have good support comming back through the middle of the ice with your D partner and hopefully strong backchecking.

at the worst thing to happen should be a shot from the far wing near the wall that should be an easy save.

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
You mean like this? Do I intentionally let him have more space on the offensive blueline or apply pressure ASAP?

Untitled-1_zps1eb95a2a.jpg

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
If that's your 'man' you're already out of position. But, when to take him is a judgement call. If you apply pressure too early & he's got good speed, he'll get a breakaway. You're probably better to backcheck, heading for your net (because you KNOW that's where he's headed, and you've got less distance to travel than him), & get between him & your net. Then check him when you're in position.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
agreed in that drawing you're alread out of position, the D man that should be nearer that winger should work to control and steer that rush while you in this case would control the middle lane keeping a tight gap to take away that middle option. if you're in a 1on1 situation like you've drawn up, Sanityplease is correct bust ass back to the net and dont allow that player to make you're goalie defend the whole net.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
oh, I would like to add, in defending the rush and steering them where you want them to go, as you make that move to get inside the dots try to line up your outside shoulder with their inside shoulder. in doing so you will force them to go all the wat across your body to get to the middle of the ice.

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
oh, I would like to add, in defending the rush and steering them where you want them to go, as you make that move to get inside the dots try to line up your outside shoulder with their inside shoulder. in doing so you will force them to go all the wat across your body to get to the middle of the ice.

Probably a dumb question but which one is my outside shoulder?

JR97

May 16, 2012
80% of the time they can always pass when they are almost cornered.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you can force the pass or better yet, limit the passing options, you've done your job. Then it's on your team mates to take away passing lanes.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Look at their chest, and just keep yourself between them and the net. Forget the puck and keep your stick active.

I am only 5'9 and am a center, but I always get back to help the D and rarely does someone get past me to the net, if anything they just get driven wide and take away any danger.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
Probably a dumb question but which one is my outside shoulder?

the shoulder that is nearer the boards. if your skating backwards facing the attacking player his inside shoulder would be towards the middle of the ice, your outside shoulder should be line up with that one.

now once you have given them a lane(the one you want them to have) you close the gap. then depending on the situation you can stand them up, rub them off, or force them to make a tough pass or bad angle shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad