Advice: Defending the drop pass

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I play defense in a low B league/high C league, and there's one situation as a defender I've noticed which generates more goals for the opposing team. That is the drop pass. When I'm defending and I play a tight gap on the F1 into the zone, I get jammed up when that player does a drop pass to the offensive player directly behind them. I'm caught with a decision: Play the puck carrier, and risk them getting a pass down low to the F1 player who initially carried it in, or try to play that pass, and allow the F2 to get into the high slot for a good scoring opportunity. In this situation, is it better for me to blow off the F1 and pressure F2 in the high slot, or let the goalie handle the shooter and I take away the down low option?

Here is what I'm talking about in video form, except usually in beer league guys don't one time it home like Keith:

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Why are you having to defend two players? Where the heck are teammates? They should be on the back check so that option isn't available or at least not a grade A chance.

Some of this depends on how everyone is positioned and moving, but generally strategy, IMHO, is to take F1 and let your goalie focus on F2. And hopefully your teammates get back in time to help if there's a rebound.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ok so in the video, Stone plays it perfectly by driving Kane to the outside and attempting to block the shot from Keith. This is what you have to do as the D. That's the only thing you can do in that play. Rieder should've been on Keith, if he had been, Kane would never have made that drop pass to Keith. If you can't get in front of the trailer in time to block the shot, it's better to just stick with F1 and let the goalie handle the clean shot from the circles.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Depends on the skill level of your opponents and how reliable your goalie is. Against good players I'll stay with the first guy and make sure he's not gonna get any rebound or pass back to him and that I'm not screening the goalie or gonna be used as a screen by the trailer.

If it's lower level or they aren't as good, there's a bit more time or leeway to make it up or improvise; and greater chance of pressuring them into a mistake, picking off the pass, or have them fanning on the shot or getting a weak one away.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Why are you having to defend two players? Where the heck are teammates? They should be on the back check so that option isn't available or at least not a grade A chance.

Some of this depends on how everyone is positioned and moving, but generally strategy, IMHO, is to take F1 and let your goalie focus on F2. And hopefully your teammates get back in time to help if there's a rebound.

This. If you're playing a tight gap, just keep driving F1 wide; you'll take away the pass, be in position to neutralize him in the event of a rebound, and give the goalie a clean look/time to read the shot effectively.

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Ok cool thanks for the replies. Funny I posted this, same night this exact situation occurred and the goalie let one up. There was really nothing I could do, played the F1, nobody took the guy in the high slot.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ok cool thanks for the replies. Funny I posted this, same night this exact situation occurred and the goalie let one up. There was really nothing I could do, played the F1, nobody took the guy in the high slot.

Tell your forwards to backcheck harder. I know that's easier said than done, but the drop pass is particularly effective if the opposition doesn't backcheck.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Yeah the third man back needs to take the guy getting the drop pass. not your fault dude.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
This. If you're playing a tight gap, just keep driving F1 wide; you'll take away the pass, be in position to neutralize him in the event of a rebound, and give the goalie a clean look/time to read the shot effectively.
Unless hyman is f1. Then totally ignore him because he has stone hands and focus on the f2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->