GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs vs. Islanders |Going for 6 Totally Rad Wins|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
In about 70 years of watching and playing hockey I've NEVER seen an Overtime STALL! What kind of strategy is that? If you win the initial faceoff, play "keepaway" till the last 20 seconds, and then try to score??? If the other team NEVER gets possession they can't beat you??? Did they think they were a LOT better off in a shootout than OT on the ice??? :eek::rolleyes::eyeroll::p::P:whaaa?::baghead::boredom::confused::neener::nono::razz::scared::snide::wally::groucho::facepalm::silly::pullhair::propeller:innocent::dunno::dunno::dunno:
You also haven’t been watching 3 on 3 for that long lol. As if the boring turtling wasn’t embarrassing enough, the Isle has to slowly skate the puck from center ice all the way back behind their own net multiple times...for NO reason!

They could have regrouped with speed inside their own blue line. It actually helped the Blues change easily

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
You also haven’t been watching 3 on 3 for that long lol. As if the boring turtling wasn’t embarrassing enough, the Isle has to slowly skate the puck from center ice all the way back behind their own net multiple times...for NO reason!

They could have regrouped with speed inside their own blue line. It actually helped the Blues change easily
Islanders are 2nd in the league in 3 on 3 goals, after finishing 4th last year. Whatever they're doing in OT works for them.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I was at the game tonight, first game in a few years. I don't know how bad they looked in the first on TV but they were ungodly sloppy live, bad positioning away from the puck.

Then they turned on their game and New York was toast.

Seemed like Kyrou was all over the place then Chief sat him, don't know what that was about

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
In about 70 years of watching and playing hockey I've NEVER seen an Overtime STALL! What kind of strategy is that? If you win the initial faceoff, play "keepaway" till the last 20 seconds, and then try to score??? If the other team NEVER gets possession they can't beat you??? Did they think they were a LOT better off in a shootout than OT on the ice??? :eek::rolleyes::eyeroll::p::P:whaaa?::baghead::boredom::confused::neener::nono::razz::scared::snide::wally::groucho::facepalm::silly::pullhair::propeller:innocent::dunno::dunno::dunno:

We were patient as hell and it paid off. :yo:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The Blues are much quicker on the transition to establish their cycle game. It's more-so how Chicago implemented their style during the early 2010s. The defensive game was designed to be fluid in order to move the whole unit up ice. The Islanders don't do that. It's on the rush or try and catch the other team sleeping with dump-ins. Sure, the Islanders system is great at playing defense because of player positioning. But it comes at the cost of establishing good forechecks, moving the team up ice as a unit with any speed, playing a physical style of hockey to create turnovers, etc.

There is a reason teams like Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, LA, and even the current St. Louis Blues are/were able to beat teams like the Islanders, Mike Yeo Wild, or even the Hitchcock Blues. It wasn't just talent, it was a good system that knew how to move the puck with speed on the transition game. Something the "defense only" teams couldn't match.

This seems pretty spot on. I mean, credit to them because it’s probably the right play for them but it’s not what we are doing at this point.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
That is second time this month he got sat after shift where he skated around with puck for like 90 seconds. Apparently that is discouraged.

That’s what I thought. But man, he did create a great scoring chance. I hate when creativity is discouraged

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That’s what I thought. But man, he did create a great scoring chance. I hate when creativity is discouraged
They seem to want to move puck quicker. Like many a talented young player, Kyrou sometimes seems to forget he has teammates out there.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Watching highlights Kyrou was almost every situation, in good way. Suprise IF Kyrou get benched just keeping puck too much on him. I do understand IF you do bad turnovers and it give opposite team scoring chance or they score, but this. :dunno:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This ones over. I don’t expect the Blues to score tonight. Been a clinic by the Isles and absolutely dreadful play by the Blues.
giphy.gif

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well like I said the team does better when I’m not on the game day threads. I left for beer league after the first period and here we are with an OT winner for 6 straight!

Reactions: Meatball

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have no issue with Kyrou sitting after ragging the puck. It won't hurt him, and I trust in Berube's judgement. You have to learn to use your teammates. It is a team game. Trying to do it all yourself is a recipe for failure. Don't worry, we will see more of Kyrou. He is being taught, not punished.

mike1320

I have no issue with Kyrou sitting after ragging the puck. It won't hurt him, and I trust in Berube's judgement. You have to learn to use your teammates. It is a team game. Trying to do it all yourself is a recipe for failure. Don't worry, we will see more of Kyrou. He is being taught, not punished.
Oh man, you're gonna get flamed for siding with a Stanley Cup winning coach on this one

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012

This right here. Spot on! Craig Berube was on Topps hockey cards when I was a young man. Jordan Kyrou is 21. The Chief has been knocking out chicklets longer than this kid has been alive. Someone said earlier that the "one man game" is discouraged around here. I think that is spot on also. Sure it is fun to watch but that is not what they are doing down there. They are building a hockey player not a one man gang. It is just another teachable moment and I think they are fortunate to be in a spot where they can afford to sit such an obvious talent.

Now as far as the Islanders go I am going to side with Barry Trotz on this one. The structured game is all him and while it might not be sexy that team improved big time immediately when he came aboard. I am an Islanders fan from a distance and believe me this squad is much better than the Tavares led teams of the past. They were a lot more fun to watch then but the defense and back check were glaring weaknesses. I agree in the sense that the talent isn't much better but the positioning is.

One last thought. I am watching the game today on replay as i missed a good portion of it last night. The sheet has looked slow all night. No skid to the puck at all. Drop passes are just dying where they lay and there has been a ton of bouncing pucks. Defenders looked slow going back on icing calls too. Ice just looked really slow tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad