GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Vegas|GDT/Bouw Appreciation Thread|

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Goddamn we suck right now
2-5-3 over their last 10. 4 of their next 6 are against the Central so hopefully they get this thing back on track. They have successfully pissed away the cushion they built up.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The PK was atrocious. Yes, we
were on the receiving end of some bad calls, but winning teams persevere through adversity. I would rather focus on fixing the PK, and overall team defense, than whine about the officiating. Man, it didn't take us long to miss Jay Bouwmeester. :(

Did you watch the game simon? That game was easily the worst officiated Blues game I've seen all year. It included but was not limited to 2 phantom calls on Kyrou, several icings against that weren't icings and a phantom hooking call on Schwartz in OT. Due to the officials being horrible last night it's really, REALLY unfair to our board to suggest people here are whining. Maybe the shit officials could do their job first and then if people are complaining I would consider that whining. Complaining about officiating last night is just holding officials responsible for basically handing Vegas the game. Kind of hard to win when you're playing against Vegas AND officials who are clearly biased for them.

Reactions: BlueMed

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
2-5-3 over their last 10. 4 of their next 6 are against the Central so hopefully they get this thing back on track. They have successfully pissed away the cushion they built up.
I honestly think the team has looked just fine overall for a slump. Binny is not bailing out the bad defensive breakdowns as much anymore.

It’s good he hit his first nhl slump now then in the playoffs. It had to happen at some point, now we just have to hope he snaps out of it

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Reaves has always been a fast skater.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I remember a 2 on 1 for the Blues last night with the ref skating backwards closer to the play then I have ever seen.

The ref is supposed to stay out of the play of course but this nerd was so close to Bozak that he could have knocked the puck away if he had a stick. Same concept as these penalties, enjoy knowing they had a large impact on the game

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Did you watch the game simon? That game was easily the worst officiated Blues game I've seen all year. It included but was not limited to 2 phantom calls on Kyrou, several icings against that weren't icings and a phantom hooking call on Schwartz in OT. Due to the officials being horrible last night it's really, REALLY unfair to our board to suggest people here are whining. Maybe the **** officials could do their job first and then if people are complaining I would consider that whining. Complaining about officiating last night is just holding officials responsible for basically handing Vegas the game. Kind of hard to win when you're playing against Vegas AND officials who are clearly biased for them.

Regardless of how bad the officiating was, if you give up 4 power-play goals you deserve to lose.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Did you watch the game simon? That game was easily the worst officiated Blues game I've seen all year. It included but was not limited to 2 phantom calls on Kyrou, several icings against that weren't icings and a phantom hooking call on Schwartz in OT. Due to the officials being horrible last night it's really, REALLY unfair to our board to suggest people here are whining. Maybe the **** officials could do their job first and then if people are complaining I would consider that whining. Complaining about officiating last night is just holding officials responsible for basically handing Vegas the game. Kind of hard to win when you're playing against Vegas AND officials who are clearly biased for them.
I would prefer they don’t call that stuff in OT unless it’s egregious, but Schwartz did get a bit of hands on one swipe.

Both Kyrou penalties were phantom. Contrary to common perception, there were no makeup calls.

I was just glad to see the team had some fight in them, not depressed and sluggish. This losing skid has coincided with them not engaging physically as much. I was glad to see a little more hitting last night. But damn they are giving up a lot of shots right now.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If (and that's a BIG IF) we come into this weekend and wipe the floor with Nashville in these next two games, I think we'll all feel a lot better about where we are and what the last 4 weeks have looked like.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
There are definitely some positive takeaways from the game. It was good to see how the team responded after the Bouwmeester situation, Sanford, etc. I think throughout this slump there has been a lot of positives but we need to start winning games. That hooking call on Schwartz was terrible, but the game shouldn't have been in OT to begin with.

Hopefully we can pick up two wins this weekend against Nashville and get back some of winning ways going into next week.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If (and that's a BIG IF) we come into this weekend and wipe the floor with Nashville in these next two games, I think we'll all feel a lot better about where we are and what the last 4 weeks have looked like.
What we feel if we lost two 4 point games?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The refs were awful last night, but do all you guys really think that there is an abundance of great officials outside of the NHL that the league is just ignoring? I have seen absolutely brutal officiating at every single level of hockey I have ever watched. This idea that the NHL needs to jettison these guys over bad games is ludicrous. Unless you are talking about reducing the schedule to account for the reduction in officials, firing a ref means you have to bring in a new ref...who has zero NHL experience, less training, etc. This idea that there are dozens of refs waiting for an NHL shot who are better than the refs in the NHL is just not based in reality.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Regardless of how bad the officiating was, if you give up 4 power-play goals you deserve to lose.

Blues PK sucking is one thing sure, that doesn't absolve the officials from that pathetic display last night.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The refs were awful last night, but do all you guys really think that there is an abundance of great officials outside of the NHL that the league is just ignoring? I have seen absolutely brutal officiating at every single level of hockey I have ever watched. This idea that the NHL needs to jettison these guys over bad games is ludicrous. Unless you are talking about reducing the schedule to account for the reduction in officials, firing a ref means you have to bring in a new ref...who has zero NHL experience, less training, etc. This idea that there are dozens of refs waiting for an NHL shot who are better than the refs in the NHL is just not based in reality.
I'm sure it has been brought up before, but I feel like the two referee system is a big part of the problem. It has had limited effectiveness in identifying in real time calls that were previously missed as far as I'm concerned. It also compounds the problem of officials being an obstacle to natural game flow, both with their actions (stopping play unnecessarily) and inactions (getting in the way of a moving puck and/or player). It is my view that doubling the roster of active referees brought in too many that simply aren't qualified to officiate at this level. I firmly believe that if you were able to eliminate the bottom 50% of this pool of officials and go back to having just one on the ice at a time, you would see better results.

If nothing else, I think the league should experiment with the "eye in the sky" idea and move one of the referees off the ice and put them in the press box area with direct view of 100% the playing surface during real time, access to the Situation Room in Toronto and on-site video review, and direct audio communication with the three on-ice officials. Part of the inherent problem with this or any other solution is human nature - how many times would the off-ice referee actually overrule the one on the ice? Use last night's game for instance. If the off ice referee had immediate access to the video of the penalty called on Kyrou in the first period and the upstairs ref called down (presuming that rules associated with the process would allow it) and let him know that the defenseman actually toe picked and that there should not have been a penalty called, how often do you think they would correct the call on the ice versus letting their ego get in the way and letting it stand? Then we just have one more thing to bitch about.

Reactions: Punished ROR

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I'm sure it has been brought up before, but I feel like the two referee system is a big part of the problem. It has had limited effectiveness in identifying in real time calls that were previously missed as far as I'm concerned. It also compounds the problem of officials being an obstacle to natural game flow, both with their actions (stopping play unnecessarily) and inactions (getting in the way of a moving puck and/or player). It is my view that doubling the roster of active referees brought in too many that simply aren't qualified to officiate at this level. I firmly believe that if you were able to eliminate the bottom 50% of this pool of officials and go back to having just one on the ice at a time, you would see better results.

If nothing else, I think the league should experiment with the "eye in the sky" idea and move one of the referees off the ice and put them in the press box area with direct view of 100% the playing surface during real time, access to the Situation Room in Toronto and on-site video review, and direct audio communication with the three on-ice officials. Part of the inherent problem with this or any other solution is human nature - how many times would the off-ice referee actually overrule the one on the ice? Use last night's game for instance. If the off ice referee had immediate access to the video of the penalty called on Kyrou in the first period and the upstairs ref called down (presuming that rules associated with the process would allow it) and let him know that the defenseman actually toe picked and that there should not have been a penalty called, how often do you think they would correct the call on the ice versus letting their ego get in the way and letting it stand? Then we just have one more thing to ***** about.

FWIW I like your suggestion.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

If nothing else, I think the league should experiment with the "eye in the sky" idea and move one of the referees off the ice and put them in the press box area with direct view of 100% the playing surface during real time, access to the Situation Room in Toronto and on-site video review, and direct audio communication with the three on-ice officials. Part of the inherent problem with this or any other solution is human nature - how many times would the off-ice referee actually overrule the one on the ice? Use last night's game for instance. If the off ice referee had immediate access to the video of the penalty called on Kyrou in the first period and the upstairs ref called down (presuming that rules associated with the process would allow it) and let him know that the defenseman actually toe picked and that there should not have been a penalty called, how often do you think they would correct the call on the ice versus letting their ego get in the way and letting it stand? Then we just have one more thing to ***** about.
I think the NHL game is too fast today for 1 ref to be capable of getting into correct position to make calls. The only way I can see that working at the speed of the game today is if you gave linesmen the authority/responsibility to take over some or all of the ref's responsibilities.

I agree about the "eye in the sky" idea. I'm all for expanding the role of technology to increase accuracy provided it doesn't interfere with the pace/flow of the game. I'm vehemently opposed to video reviews of penalties that stop the game. However, I would be very intrigued by a system like you describe where an eye in the sky is able to incorporate a non-ice-level view in real time.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Poor choice of words on my part. My apologies.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Poor choice of words on my part. My apologies.

Sorry man, I was probably a bit harsh there and you're just about the nicest guy in the world.

I really just want to kick that Brenk guy straight in the junk and say, "Take THAT Macho Man Randy Savage!". Or you know, something like that.

Reactions: simon IC

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Although I do agree that it's on us to kill off penalties more effectively, I think it's fair to be upset in this case because the bad calls were mainly going in one direction. If the refs were consistent and called a terrible game for both teams and we still gave up 4 powerplay goals, then I'd agree with placing most of, if not all of, the blame on us. But this game was simply unfair in terms of officiating, with ticky-tacky calls being made against us that weren't called against the Knights. The result was one team getting more opportunities than the other. After the Bortuzzo cross-check, I think I counted 6-7 other instances of the exact same cross-check (by both teams) that weren't called for the rest of the game. If the standard is set that early in the game, then it needs to be enforced that way for the rest of the game, which it was not.

Consistency is the key, and there was none last night. Oh well, we got a point. On to the next game.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Sorry man, I was probably a bit harsh there and you're just about the nicest guy in the world.

I really just want to kick that Brenk guy straight in the junk and say, "Take THAT Macho Man Randy Savage!". Or you know, something like that.
No worries :). You take each post individually, and you have legitimate issues with the officiating. You read 3 pages of it, and it starts to sound like "whining" to the reader. (Or at least this one!) I should have realized this before I posted. It was certainly an infuriating game to watch!

Reactions: Brian39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->