GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It's simple: when you have a 2-man advantage DON'T SIT ON THE PERIMETER AND CYCLE THE PUCK AROUND PRAYING FOR AN OPENING! Send three of your 5 players to the net and have the extra 2 men there to jump on rebounds! When you have 2 extra men the strategy should NOT be the same as when you have only 1. It is really hard to defend against 2 uncovered players. There are no excuses! :mad:
Part of the problem to me, Robb, is that while they're moving the puck around the perimeter they are collapsing to the middle, which gives the 3 defenders LESS ice to defend instead of MORE. You can see how many passes get deflected and we have to reset, and that is because we set all 5 of our guys up within a stick reach of their guys. We clog our own passing lanes by getting too close to the defenders instead of making them chase and get out of position or leave one or two of our guys uncovered.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Overall an ugly game, but getting a point out of 15 minutes worth of effort isn't a bad outcome. I expect Berube to tweak the lines after that and get Kyrou back in against a fast Avs team on Saturday.

Hopefully we win on Saturday and go in to the All Star break on a 6 game point streak. But the worst case scenario is that we enter the all star break with a 6 point cushion for the division lead.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Are we really going to discuss the again? You mean the four games in a row we won? Why would coach mix up the lines when we're dominating?

Settle down Kyrou minions, I'm sure he'll get another chance soon. I assume he's been practicing staying onside these past four games.
So does that make you a "Sanford fanboy"? I think we can make our points here without resorting to name calling.

You could also do with some self awareness that those of us who would rather see Kyrou in the lineup than Sanford are getting just as tired of your pushbacks and digs at us as you are of us calling for the coach to change the lineup. It's called a difference of opinion, and everyone is entitled to add theirs to the discussion, even you.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So why do you think Berube decided to sit Kyrou instead of Sanford? He must have a good reason, no?

They mentioned before the Rangers game that Berube inserted DLR because he wanted the lines to match up better against the Rangers' top six. So clearly Berube values defense and overall play more than many fans here do. No one is doubting Kyrou's offensive skill, but some people act like we would be winning every game if only Kyrou was in the lineup. There were plenty of Blues that didn't play well enough against the Flyers but as usual I see Sanford getting most of the negative comments. It's getting old. The kid will get his chance soon enough.

I'd say there's a lot of real estate between wanting Kyrou in the lineup over Sanford and thinking if he was we'd win every game.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
So does that make you a "Sanford fanboy"? I think we can make our points here without resorting to name calling.

You could also do with some self awareness that those of us who would rather see Kyrou in the lineup than Sanford are getting just as tired of your pushbacks and digs at us as you are of us calling for the coach to change the lineup. It's called a difference of opinion, and everyone is entitled to add theirs to the discussion, even you.

TK 421 likes this post.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Sure, everyone is allowed their opinion. But I've got the Cup winning coach on my side, so there is that. I would expect people to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point, but guess not.

I just want people to reasonable, that's all. There is obviously a reason why they are bringing Kyrou along slowly, and clearly the coaches see something in Sanford that many fans are unable to see. I don't even like Sanford that much, it just bothers me to see people pile on the guy as if he's the reason we don't win every game.

I'm not pushing any agenda, just responding to posts that I feel are irrational or unfair. It was the same with Allen and Bouwmeester. So many fans wanted to throw them on the scrap heap. Steen too. Maroon last year. All players go through ups and downs, so would be nice if fans could be a little more patient. Championships aren't won in January, everything will work itself out by the end of the season. Fans really should have next to nothing to complain about, we're first in the league for crying out loud.

Signed,
Sanford fanboy :sarcasm:

Last edited:

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Anyone remember when was the last time this team scored on a 5 on 3? I have a friend that said it was a game this year and then there is another report that says it’s been since 2016.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Maybe Alexander Steen isn't over the hill just yet.

Great game against Philly, he's on a major roll. Needs to stay on the power play with the rest of the second unit.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
We scored one in Game 5 of the WCF last season, but the last time in the regular season does go back to 2016.

Holy smokes 22+ minutes of total 5 on 3 time since the Blues scored (minus the blowout playoff goal)!!

I posted that I would love to see 27 not on the ice for a 5 on 3. I’m sure there is a stat that tells how many of those 22 minutes Petro was out there. It’s not all on him but he is the one taking most of the prime shots and so on.....

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Clearly Savard has to do something in to 1st powerplay unite and that 5on3 powerplay generally has been bad for years. Btw our 2nd powerplay is much effective than 1st.

2nd unite has much smoother and sharper passing play and set-up doesn't take long time. 1st powerplay rotate position is awful, in paper its right, but it has nothing to do with confusing defending team. Its so easy to read and there isn't any variations for it.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I know the overall numbers for the year suggest otherwise, but I think it is time to change the units up a bit. The first unit usually ends up out there for the first 1:20 of the PP on average, and at times they take up almost the whole 2 minutes. Unfortunately, if that unit 1st unit doesn't score in the first 10-15 seconds lately, it seems they don't score at all. The second unit seems to move the puck much more efficiently and effectively, but a lot of times the PP is over by the time they get a chance to set up.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Anyone remember when was the last time this team scored on a 5 on 3? I have a friend that said it was a game this year and then there is another report that says it’s been since 2016.
We scored like 2 seconds after the 5 on 3 expired in one game this year before their defender actually got back into the play so we basically scored on that 5 on 3 though technically we didnt cuz the player just left the box, thus 2016 is last time we officially scored

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
We scored like 2 seconds after the 5 on 3 expired in one game this year before their defender actually got back into the play so we basically scored on that 5 on 3 though technically we didnt cuz the player just left the box, thus 2016 is last time we officially scored

This is the theory proposed by Bernie Federko often on man-advantage situations.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Holy smokes 22+ minutes of total 5 on 3 time since the Blues scored (minus the blowout playoff goal)!!

I posted that I would love to see 27 not on the ice for a 5 on 3. I’m sure there is a stat that tells how many of those 22 minutes Petro was out there. It’s not all on him but he is the one taking most of the prime shots and so on.....

The problem with our 5-on-3s according to Coach Berube is that we don't shoot enough. You want to bench the guy who is taking the most prime shots? Hmmm, yeah makes sense. And by sense I mean you have an obvious bias that is making you type ridiculous things.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Well the flyers just got totally bitch slapped by one of the worst teams in the league of late at home so I guess their 24 hours of gloating over a 3on3 OT win will be coming to a end now.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
The problem with our 5-on-3s according to Coach Berube is that we don't shoot enough. You want to bench the guy who is taking the most prime shots? Hmmm, yeah makes sense. And by sense I mean you have an obvious bias that is making you type ridiculous things.
You might want to re-read what you posted here. The Blues have not scored a 5 on 3 goal in over 3 years! Petro is the QB, so he takes most of the shots. When you are on a 5 on 3, a prime shot is all alone in a prime scoring area. Then you look at his slow and indecisive passing. He is not getting the job done, it’s obvious to anyone that knows what they are watching

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Sure, everyone is allowed their opinion. But I've got the Cup winning coach on my side, so there is that. I would expect people to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point, but guess not.

I just want people to reasonable, that's all. There is obviously a reason why they are bringing Kyrou along slowly, and clearly the coaches see something in Sanford that many fans are unable to see. I don't even like Sanford that much, it just bothers me to see people pile on the guy as if he's the reason we don't win every game.

I'm not pushing any agenda, just responding to posts that I feel are irrational or unfair. It was the same with Allen and Bouwmeester. So many fans wanted to throw them on the scrap heap. Steen too. Maroon last year. All players go through ups and downs, so would be nice if fans could be a little more patient. Championships aren't won in January, everything will work itself out by the end of the season. Fans really should have next to nothing to complain about, we're first in the league for crying out loud.

Signed,
Sanford fanboy :sarcasm:

Sanford isn’t the reason we lose, but Sanford is the reason Sanford is making bad plays and squandering scoring chances while only being a serviceable player once every 5 games, and that’s why we complain about him. Every other player finds a way to contribute on a nightly basis, and when they don’t, we complain about them, and rightfully so (Steen, Schwartz, Faulk, Bouwmeester, Allen, Berglund, all in the recent past). When players are bad, they’re bad. It doesn’t matter if we are winning or losing.

We’re not losing games because of Sanford, but we’re also not winning them because of him. Kyrou has the ability to win games for us, and he is clearly the future and Sanford is clearly not.

Reactions: Ranksu

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Funny that JR just posted an article in the athletic about the Blues 5 on 3 problems. He actually broke down and showed clips of the past 5. Petro has pretty much the exact same slow, no sense of urgency look on all of the clips posted. The ARZ 5-3 was the only good one and he wasn’t his typical self/didn’t touch the puck much.

The other 4 players are trying to play/pass quickly but every time Petro gets it, he does his stupid slow stick handle and predictable pass or shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad