GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Montreal Canadiens |6 PM| HNIC Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This game was a good sample of what I expected as defending champs. We get the focused A Game from everyone, who all want to use the Blues as a measuring stick. Montreal was motivated and hungry this game. Their fans were into it. Kudos to them for wanting it more.

Will Binnington continue his pattern of good bounce back performances? Or was that just a playoff thing?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So instead of bozak getting screwed with bad linemates, barbashev will be screwed with sanford and fabbri instead? Not sure that changes much

Bozak is the only one getting "screwed" with those two. They were just double shifting Bozak to get him more ice time. It wasn't a lineup switch. They have been doing it all year. Bozak gets over 4 minutes more than Fabbri and 6 minutes more than Sanford a game. Some of that is PP time. For most of it, Bozak slides somewhere into the Sunsqvist line or replaces Blais on the RoR-Perron line. Its mot a permanent change. The team just shortens the bench, rolls 3 lines and sticks Bozak in for a rotating 4 spots (Barby, Steen, Sunny, or Blais). Barby will be benched a shift for Bozak, but Barby's next shift isn't with Fabs and Sanford. Its with his normal line, only Bozak will sub for Sunny or Steen the next shift while Fabbri and Sanford stay on the bench the whole time.

I actually don't think Fabbri has been that bad. He has made some nice defensive plays, especially jumping into passing lanes on a few occasions to steal a pass. His offense hasn't been there, but I am heartened by what I see. If Thomas comes back, I think a Thomas, Bozak, Fabbri line will work. Unfortunately, Bozak and Fabbs right now need someone to drive the play, and to maintain some possession. A healthy, more developed Thomas should be able to anchor that line.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Blow it up. The season is over. Maybe we’ll be able to get Lafreniere. I’m kidding of course but I hope Berube gives them the “you better start working hard” speech before Monday game

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Don’t like seeing Binnington being ragdolled by Habs crashing the net. We had this problem last season and it was eliminated for the most part after Chief took over. Binnington could get injured. Screw the active defense if you can’t take care of your house.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It appears evident that the identity that Chief has built the team for hasn't been fully bought in yet by the players. A heavy team that plays disinterested (or any team for that matter) will find themselves walking out with no points. Hopefully this is the wakeup call that some of them need. Otherwise, bring up some kids from SA and let a few of them, even Tarasenko, watch the game from the pressbox.

Reactions: Twister18

Twister18

Don’t like seeing Binnington being ragdolled by Habs crashing the net. We had this problem last season and it was eliminated for the most part after Chief took over. Binnington could get injured. Screw the active defense if you can’t take care of your house.

I think you have to dress Bortuzzo and bring Kostin up to pair with Bozak and Thomas. Fabbri and Sanford can ride the pine, imho.

Reactions: STL BLUES

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
It appears evident that the identity that Chief has built the team for hasn't been fully bought in yet by the players. A heavy team that plays disinterested (or any team for that matter) will find themselves walking out with no points. Hopefully this is the wakeup call that some of them need. Otherwise, bring up some kids from SA and let a few of them, even Tarasenko, watch the game from the pressbox.
First regulation loss following a cup win.
Doesn’t believe the team has “bought in”.
Wants to bench star players.

no, you’re right, this is a perfectly sane opinion.

Reactions: Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
First regulation loss following a cup win.
Doesn’t believe the team has “bought in”.
Wants to bench star players.

no, you’re right, this is a perfectly sane opinion.
They haven’t bought in to the game they need to play this season. They did it last year. This year? Not yet.

They may know what needs to happen, but they haven’t executed on that knowledge in these first few games. But, given the wild offseason, it may take a minute to find the fire again.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
They haven’t bought in to the game they need to play this season. They did it last year. This year? Not yet.

They may know what needs to happen, but they haven’t executed on that knowledge in these first few games. But, given the wild offseason, it may take a minute to find the fire again.
The Blues haven't played a 60 minute game yet. This last game may have been the wakeup call they need to realize that every team is using them as the measuring stick and will be bringing their best game. To combat that, they need to get back to the style of hockey that they played so well last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->