GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's not the loss that bothers people. It's how they lose. Lack of quality shots, hard skating and making terrible decisions especially against bad teams. It's becoming a pattern of bad habits that can bite them in the playoffs. Have some foresight.
What? They were playing on a back to back. You know, teams DO get tired and have off nights because they are human. No team constantly looks great, even when they lose.

They also won 8 games in a row as recently as last week.

But yeah, I'm sure this one game against Florida overrides that and now they are completely doomed in the playoffs because of it. And then you have the nerve to say I'm the one that needs foresight.

Your post is a total joke, sorry.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Avs dominated in loss to Kings and lost best player to injury. Don’t know how long he will be out, but suddenly looking us sluggish in loss to desperate Florida team not looking like such a bad outcome.

Reactions: Meatball

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
Avs dominated in loss to Kings and lost best player to injury. Don’t know how long he will be out, but suddenly looking us sluggish in loss to desperate Florida team not looking like such a bad outcome.

who got hurt ? mackinnon ? i did not watch

edit : nevermind just checked the mainboards .... hope he is out for a while

Last edited:
Reactions: TK 421 and Vollie27

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
My issue is that they didn't play their style. They just went through the motions. Our stars are AWOL for these types of games. I haven't figured out if they just make a calculation that they will do the minimum amount to have a chance to win the game and nothing more.

Yeah, I'd say the biggest reason for our slump is that our top six is MIA. We need more from the top guys, at even strength and the PP. I said it a couple games ago, but Berube should make the second PP unit the top PP unit. Time to wake up boys!

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Disappointing loss, but it was the 2nd game of b2b, and the flu has been going around the room. No need to panic yet, but I do have some concerns:
  • As others have suggested, ROR is not right. I suspect a nagging injury, perhaps groin or ribs.
  • Perron has disappeared. This is not a big surprise to me, as he has periodically done this throughout his career. He just chose a bad time to go AWOL.
  • 2 games without Justin Faulk, no PP goals against. Faulk back on PK, PP goal against.
  • Faulk on the ice for both Florida goals
  • Dunn had a rough night too. At least he is young enough to improve his defensive game.
  • Dear Lord, what is up with our PP? The first unit in particular just looks out of sync.
  • The team in general just looks tired. Perhaps it is just recovering from the flu, maybe they were just gassed after playing last night. Still, it was close and it was a one goal game.

Last edited:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
All we need to do is get in. That's how I've been looking at this season.

In that regard, and with Tarasenko on the way back, we're looking good. :nod:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Team was clearly tired and it showed in their play. Hits were way down and the Panthers won a lot of loose puck battles. It happens.

100% agree on the ROR talk, something is up with him as he's fumbling the puck non-stop and failing to make simple plays at times.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
blues last night:
tenor.gif

second game of a b2b and lost by one.

you'd swear the blues shot the puck into their own net five times reading the comments in this one though.

Reactions: tazman

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
If MacKinnon‘s injury is serious that would be devastating for the Avs.

Yeah that would be...um...terrible (sounds of snickering). Hopefully he can fully recover(while his team loses in the PO's).

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Disappointing loss, but it was the 2nd game of b2b, and the flu has been going around the room. No need to panic yet, but I do have some concerns:
  • As others have suggested, ROR is not right. I suspect a nagging injury, perhaps groin or ribs.
  • Perron has disappeared. This is not a big surprise to me, as he has periodically done this throughout his career. He just chose a bad time to go AWOL.
  • 2 games without Justin Faulk, no PP goals against. Faulk back on PK, PP goal against.
  • Faulk on the ice for both Florida goals
  • Dunn had a rough night too. At least he is young enough to improve his defensive game.
  • Dear Lord, what is up with our PP? The first unit in particular just looks out of sync.
  • The team in general just looks tired. Perhaps it is just recovering from the flu, maybe they were just gassed after playing last night. Still, it was close and it was a one goal game.
:laugh: I teach children with far better analytical reasoning than this. This is just hysterically stupid. Chicago and New Jersey have two of the worst PPs in the league, Florida is top 10. Huh, maybe that has something to do with it? No way. Not possible. All Faulk.

Look at the sequence of events. Barbashev breaks up a pass, Sundqvist fails to get the puck out on what should've been a 2 on 1 for us. Then they pass the puck directly through our box, which is a failure on every player, Faulk included, and then Hoffman snipes the shot low blocker as Faulk attempts to block the shot(though it probably would've gone in anyway even if Faulk wasn't there. It was labeled). How that entire sequence of events gets pinned on Faulk is hysterical.

On the second goal, Dunn chases the puck carrier behind the net, gets bodied off the puck in what probably should've been interference, but whatever, Faulk ties his man up in front of the net, pass goes back door where Dunn should be, but he's on the ice from said interference, and it goes in. Again this is pinned on Faulk. That goal had as much to do with Faulk as it did Perron, ROR, and Sanford. They all did their job, Dunn didn't. Yet Faulk takes the blame.

I will never understand this irrational hatred of one of our best Dmen. It's reminiscent of the crowd that wanted Petro traded in favor of keeping Shattenkirk and bitched about Petro's shot even though he's scored as many goals as damn near every Dman in the league since the beginning of his career. It just doesn't make any sense.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
you mean the guy with a total of 14 NHL games to his roster? Impressive. Florida is fighting for their playoff lives. The Blues should be dominating them. They aren't exactly Boston.
Yeah, the guy with a .933 career SV% and .938 SV% this season. Same guy who is 7-2-1 this season.

No one is saying he is a for sure all star moving forward or that his play is sustainable. But yes, right now, the Panthers are a pretty good team when he plays and he is playing like a very good NHL goalie. By your logic, teams should have been throttling Binner last year simply because he was inexperienced and his insane hot streak was actually just other teams failing.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Yeah, the guy with a .933 career SV% and .938 SV% this season. Same guy who is 7-2-1 this season.

No one is saying he is a for sure all star moving forward or that his play is sustainable. But yes, right now, the Panthers are a pretty good team when he plays and he is playing like a very good NHL goalie. By your logic, teams should have been throttling Binner last year simply because he was inexperienced and his insane hot streak was actually just other teams failing.
Of all fan bases, I would think St Louis would appreciate the possibility of a young goalie coming in and making a decisive difference.

TaffyPool

Mar 8, 2019
Thinking about our empty net woes (I’d still like to see the hard #s if someone’s willing to dive back through the season!), with Berube so inclined to pull the goalie early lately — 2:30 left last night! — I wonder if it actually would’ve made more sense to do it during the last half of the Blues power play that directly preceded it?

Obviously a big risk, as there’s no icing for the Panthers to worry about, but maybe it’s just as simple as 11 guys in one zone is too congested for the Blues extra man system. With a 6-on-4 (versus 6-on-5) they can better space out their skaters and the Panthers will need to relinquish more lanes.

Say 3 up top, two low and one center for a net-tight cycle, with your wing D ready to slide far goalside when the Panthers have to collapse on the other.

Just food for thought!

Reactions: Reality Czech

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
Thinking about our empty net woes (I’d still like to see the hard #s if someone’s willing to dive back through the season!), with Berube so inclined to pull the goalie early lately — 2:30 left last night! — I wonder if it actually would’ve made more sense to do it during the last half of the Blues power play that directly preceded it?

Obviously a big risk, as there’s no icing for the Panthers to worry about, but maybe it’s just as simple as 11 guys in one zone is too congested for the Blues extra man system. With a 6-on-4 (versus 6-on-5) they can better space out their skaters and the Panthers will need to relinquish more lanes.

Say 3 up top, two low and one center for a net-tight cycle, with your wing D ready to slide far goalside when the Panthers have to collapse on the other.

Just food for thought!
And then if they scored and empty net goal while we were on the PP people would have lost their damn minds.

Reactions: TaffyPool

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

I don't even recognize your name. Do you even post in the GDTs when the games are on?

Seems like your thing is to visit the thread post game and nitpick what others said during the flow of the game. I guess you think it gives you internet prosecutor cred or something.

No worries. I have no use for your tactics. Welcome to the ignore list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad