GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Edmonton|The Journey Thru Western Canada Continues|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I have watched this several times now, and I have to say I respectfully disagree with you. Faulk crosses the ice to pressure Yamamoto, yes, but Pietrangelo had already committed to the puck carrier. This left Draisaitl, (who should have been Faulk's assignment) uncovered. Faulk tries to get to get back, but is too late and ends up chasing Draisaitl. Yes, it was poor communication, but it was a poor decision on Faulk's part in the first place to switch sides and pressure Yamamoto. Faulk was trying to do it all himself, and it caused a goal.
Petro was there but did nothing. No gap control. But we can’t criticize Petro. We can only praise him and worry that DA won’t give him a blank check.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Petro was there but did nothing. No gap control. But we can’t criticize Petro. We can only praise him and worry that DA won’t give him a blank check.
Oh I have a good sense that Doug sees what a good chunk of us see in Petro. Don’t be fooled by the C on his chest and consistent pinching down low to score.

Really like Petro and want to keep him but I have a strong feeling he wants an overpayment or nothing from the Blues

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I think that is a bit overstated. They have some roster flaws, but generally they are a good team.
At 5v5 they’re among the league’s worst teams. They’re bad.

My entire focus is on the playoffs. The Blues are in. Which teams in the West could potentially derail the Blues’ quest for back to back? Stars and Knights. That’s it. If the Blues were to match up against the Oilers in the playoffs I’d be thrilled because it’s practically a guaranteed win. Same with the Avs, who are basically the Oilers with a second line. These teams don’t scare me at all. They can have a superstar win them a game in January, but they aren’t beating a good team in a 7 game series.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Basically from the offensive blueline, Faulk starts skating directly at the puck carrier Yamamoto. He had the angle on him and was trying to attack the puck carrier and force him into the boards. Faulk was pointing/motioning for Pietro to take the Draisaitl, but Pietro didnt read the play Faulk was trying to make and the result was not pretty.

It's kind of hard to tell from those angles ^^^ but it was pretty clear that Faulk was pointing at Draisaitl and trying to direct Pietro from the replay on the Blues broadcast. Poor communication between those two.

That was Petro’s side of the ice to cover. In no way should Petro expect Faulk to come over. Faulk should trust his Norris quality partner to do his job.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
There were too many attacking players for him to close the gap. He made the correct play back peddling. If one of those guys squirts past him and receives a pass, then they get an easy path towards the goal. We know this to be true since that is exactly what transpired. In those instances you keep the play in front of you, not compound the issue by creating a gap closer to your net. If it was just one forward on his side with his defensive partner further back, then you can try the step up because you have support. That was not the case here.

Reactions: simon IC

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
At 5v5 they’re among the league’s worst teams. They’re bad.

My entire focus is on the playoffs. The Blues are in. Which teams in the West could potentially derail the Blues’ quest for back to back? Stars and Knights. That’s it. If the Blues were to match up against the Oilers in the playoffs I’d be thrilled because it’s practically a guaranteed win. Same with the Avs, who are basically the Oilers with a second line. These teams don’t scare me at all. They can have a superstar win them a game in January, but they aren’t beating a good team in a 7 game series.

Oilers fan jumping in. Don't wanna say too much on an opposing team's board, but let me just say that the Oilers second line is RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto. So suggesting the Oilers don't have a second line is a bad claim. The Oilers second line has the league's leading scorer.

Reactions: Blueston

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Oilers fan jumping in. Don't wanna say too much on an opposing team's board, but let me just say that the Oilers second line is RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto. So suggesting the Oilers don't have a second line is a bad claim. The Oilers second line has the league's leading scorer.
Its arguable they are the first line. Mcdavid is now the one with garbage linemates instead of draisaitl

Reactions: Indiana and ujju2

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I have watched this several times now, and I have to say I respectfully disagree with you. Faulk crosses the ice to pressure Yamamoto, yes, but Pietrangelo had already committed to the puck carrier. This left Draisaitl, (who should have been Faulk's assignment) uncovered. Faulk tries to get to get back, but is too late and ends up chasing Draisaitl. Yes, it was poor communication, but it was a poor decision on Faulk's part in the first place to switch sides and pressure Yamamoto. Faulk was trying to do it all himself, and it caused a goal.
We can respectfully disagree! Here is a more thorough explanation of my thoughts on the play:

It looked to me like Petro got caught off guard a bit by Yamamoto's speed and was too slow to react at the blueline. Seeing Petro's slow reaction at the blueline, Faulk commits to the puck carrier and starts across the ice. I see Petro have to take a couple forward strides towards his net before turning around to face Yamamoto, who is basically already at the red line. At this point, Faulk is on Yamamoto (who has already gained the redline) and is pointing for Petro (who doesn't have a good gap because he was slow to react at the blueline) to take Draisaitl. Yamamoto makes a fantastic pass and Faulk can't recover in time.

The result is obviously bad, and at first glance it looks like a stupid overplay by Faulk. However I don't think it's fair to be blame Faulk 100% here, I think he is reacting to Pietrangelo's mistake and then there is a misscommunication. I think the root cause is A) Pietrangelo making a bad read and getting a bad jump off the blueline B) poor communication between Faulk and Petro.

That was Petro’s side of the ice to cover. In no way should Petro expect Faulk to come over. Faulk should trust his Norris quality partner to do his job.
Maybe Faulk should have just trusted Petro to recover and handle the 2-on-2. Hard to argue with the result of this play.

I guess my larger point would be that it's a problem the 2 aren't communicating/trusting each other better at this point and that last night Pietrangelo did not play to his usual standard IMO.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Is no one going to comment that the goal was completely preventable by Allen, but he wasn't square in front of the puck? Anyone?

You can say that Faulk made a bone-headed play, but in reality he did put himself in a position to lock up Draisaitl so as to prevent a good shot. He was in a bad angle with little leverage to get the puck off, yet Allen wasn't in a good position to do so. This is after Draisaitl had to take a second to settle the puck down from the pass and get it on his forehand. Faulk did make up for his read, but Allen wasn't in good position.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
It’s the league’s leading scorer and two junk wingers. The first line is also a great center and two junk wingers. The Oilers barely have one line :laugh: I was being generous by saying they even have one line.

Reactions: Indiana

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
It’s the league’s leading scorer and two junk wingers. The first line is also a great center and two junk wingers. The Oilers barely have one line :laugh: I was being generous by saying they even have one line.
Ryan neugent hopkins is not a junk winger. Hes a consistent 50+point player who scored 69 last season. Yanamoto was one of their top prospects and is producing since his callup this year.
I agree mcdavids line is weak on wingers

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->