GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Dallas |Stars Stand Between 7 Straight Successes|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
15 mins of ice time, 3x per week for 9 months. I’m trying to figure out how that’s being overworked. Imagine a real job in the real world. Try being a roofer or a hod carrier for 40+ hrs per week for 12 months.

Quite possibly one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this forum.

absolutely bizzaro comparison

Reactions: RORbacon

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
Have you ever labored in construction 40+ hours per week? Didn’t think so.

It's like you're trying to talk down to people because they haven't done manual labor in their life for a job, absolutely bizarre flex from you. And either way, you wouldn't have any idea if I have or haven't. Weird guy

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It's like you're trying to talk down to people because they haven't done manual labor in their life for a job, absolutely bizarre flex from you. And either way, you wouldn't have any idea if I have or haven't. Weird guy

move along son. Let adults handle this

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I have said for years, I think the Blues should try the tandem approach in the playoffs when they have two reasonably good goalies with dissimilar styles. I think it's easier for opposing teams to game plan to the guys on the ice than it is to game plan to who the opposing goalie is; in the playoffs, you make sure the guys on the team know who's going to be in net but you don't publicly announce who it is until the last possible moment. That way, you have the upper-hand and can roll with something the other side hasn't planned for.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
15 mins of ice time, 3x per week for 9 months. I’m trying to figure out how that’s being overworked. Imagine a real job in the real world. Try being a roofer or a hod carrier for 40+ hrs per week for 12 months.
There's also practices, training and weight lifting, etc. And the injuries that build up throughout the course of all this. It's a lot more than what you're acting like.

It absolutely does get tiring. That's why it's so hard to repeat, and teams that do, have virtually no chance of three-peating. That's just a lot of hockey that would wear you down.

I'm hoping we can win the division and have it wrapped up before the last 2 games of the season. I would definitely choose to rest Perron, Pietrangelo and ROR for a couple games. Unfortunately it looks like Colorado isn't going to go away and allow us that luxury.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
There's also practices, training and weight lifting, etc. And the injuries that build up throughout the course of all this. It's a lot more than what you're acting like.

It absolutely does get tiring. That's why it's so hard to repeat, and teams that do, have virtually no chance of three-peating. That's just a lot of hockey that would wear you down.

I'm hoping we can win the division and have it wrapped up before the last 2 games of the season. I would definitely choose to rest Perron, Pietrangelo and ROR for a couple games. Unfortunately it looks like Colorado isn't going to go away and allow us that luxury.
Come on man, the shifts are only like a minute long!

68Blues

May 11, 2019
Perron has looked like he needs a break since about the beginning of January. Lots of coasting around and half ass passes/shots. That pathetic pass giving the Stars a free breakaway/2nd goal was a prime example

Look what happened to ROR since he was put on the scheen/Schwartz line.

Totally agree. He's looked particularly bad since the AS break. Give him some maintenance time, we're going to need him in April.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Good lord what a stupid take. Clearly your brain doesn't work all that hard if you honestly believe this nonsense.

Reactions: RORbacon

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Good lord what a stupid take. Clearly your brain doesn't work all that hard if you honestly believe this nonsense.

So a hockey player is more over worked than a full time laborer in the construction industry? I’ve never heard of something so stupid in my life.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Unless a player is hurt then the only rest a player needs is for mental fatigue. It's stupid to think the body can't handle playing hockey year round with proper nutrition and sleep.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d love to see a survey that says.... which profession is harder, a hod carrier or a hockey player.

you’d have to be a f***ing moron to think a hockey player is harder.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
This is like saying no one should be in pain for stubbing their toe on a coffee table because others have had their legs blown off in war.

Why does it matter what profession is harder? Perron could still be tired/overworked by playing hockey much like a roofer could be tired/overworked by his schedule. Heck, anyone could be tired/overworked from any profession because all lines of work have hours that must be fulfilled and duties that have to be completed. All of that could, and usually will, wear people down over time in any line of work they operate in.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
So a hockey player is more over worked than a full time laborer in the construction industry? I’ve never heard of something so stupid in my life.
The point flew about 3 feet over your head.

Fatigue impacts a hockey player's ability to be effective at their job significantly more than a person working in construction. There isn't a construction worker alive who shows up to work everyday ready to perform at 100% of their peak physical capacity and outperform other people who are also performing at peak physical capacity.

Do you really not understand that professional sports require peak physical conditioning? Do you not understand that a construction worker showing up to work able to give 75% of his best is able to successfully perform his job duties while a professional athlete giving 85% will be unable to successfully perform his job duties? I interact almost daily with construction workers who are able to perform their job duties despite showing up almost every day hungover and/or actively under the influence of drugs and alcohol. They can still do their job well enough to keep it because construction doesn't require a person to put forth anything close to 100% of their physical capacity.

And yes, pro athletes 100% put more physical work into their job than a construction worker. That's why they can run faster, run longer, lift more and lift that weight more times than construction workers. They are able to hone their physical attributes because the rest of their schedule is tailored towards being in peak physical condition. The training/practice/game schedule of a pro athlete is without question more intense than a construction worker's day. That is offset by pro athletes having a team of people around them to maximize nutrition and having about 4 times as much free time to recover than us schmucks working 8-10 straight hours a day.

Being a pro athlete would be a fantastic job. I'd take it over being a construction worker every day of the week. That doesn't mean it takes less physical exertion though.

I'd love your explanation for how construction workers consistently perform more total physical exertion in order to be in consistently worse shape than pro athletes though.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I’d love to see a survey that says.... which profession is harder, a hod carrier or a hockey player.

you’d have to be a f***ing moron to think a hockey player is harder.
So do you blame each and every individual hod carrier for making godawful career choices or capitalism as a whole for the dramatic underpayment of hod carriers and overpayment of athletes? Because if it is harder to be a hod carrier than a pro athlete, you'd have to be a real f***ing moron to go into that profession for substantially less money than the easy pro sports profession. Maybe it is because little boys are notorious for fantasizing about careers in construction over careers in pro sports.

Reactions: Bluesin7

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
So do you blame each and every individual hod carrier for making godawful career choices or capitalism as a whole for the dramatic underpayment of hod carriers and overpayment of athletes? Because if it is harder to be a hod carrier than a pro athlete, you'd have to be a real f***ing moron to go into that profession for substantially less money than the easy pro sports profession. Maybe it is because little boys are notorious for fantasizing about careers in construction over careers in pro sports.

You’ve turned this into an entirely different debate. Let’s move on

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Reactions: Bluesin7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->