GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Dallas |Stars Stand Between 7 Straight Successes|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Just watched game. Gunnar get exposed too many times at d-zone. Sanford too was sloppy and played imo poor game. So he's back sucking.

I'm not totally sold on Scandella. Guess its good that he isn't noticable on ice so he keeps game simple.

Allen gave pretty easy goal end of 3rd, but saved his arse at Benn's breakaway attempt. Really happy to see standing cheering for Allen. That boost his confidence.

I don't know, but majority of our players keep puck a bit too long and caught on Dallas forecheck or backcheck. That I didn't like. Edge of playing too cute without moving legs.

Really positive game by DLR. He was on a mission to crush Dallas players. :bb: More that please.

I'll take 2 points. This was big game.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
The breakaway by Benn and the 3 stops in the SO, Allen earned a point all by himself. Dallas is probably pleased to get a point. Is Colorado ever going to lose?

‘The Wild are poised to pass up Nashville.
I’d be just fine with the Wild passing Nashville. I think they’re a much easier matchup for us than the Preds.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Thomas line really struggled last night. Looked out of sync. I don't think Perron and Thomas are particularly good fit together- they seem to play at different speeds.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Typical Allen letting in a weak shot from the point with the other goalie pulled. The dude still gets panic attacks and freezes up when the pressure gets too high.

For the first time in his life he actually stopped some breakaways thou!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would like to see Thomas - Tarasenko together, but looks like its impossible combo when trying work lineups.

Code:
Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Sanford - O'Reilly - Perron
Kyrou - Bozak - Thomas
Barbashev - Sundqvist - Blais/DLR/Steen

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
little joe a non factor just like the d-bag benn ... perry cant chirp dp57 .... Punk!

I forgot Pavelski was even playing until he took a SO attempt. Completely invisible.

I didn't read the whole GDP, but did you see Perry poke Perron's nuts with his stick at the end of the 1st period? That's what Perron was so upset about. Bush league from Perry as usual.

Allen was the man and stood tall when the team needed him. No penalties, boys played a clean game for the most part. Just a shame to let them get that tying goal right at the end.

Last edited:

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Thomas line really struggled last night. Looked out of sync. I don't think Perron and Thomas are particularly good fit together- they seem to play at different speeds.
Perron has looked like he needs a break since about the beginning of January. Lots of coasting around and half ass passes/shots. That pathetic pass giving the Stars a free breakaway/2nd goal was a prime example

Look what happened to ROR since he was put on the scheen/Schwartz line.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
People forget that DP has played two seasons where he has gone to the final round. Once with Vegas, once with the Blues.

He's tired.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Haven’t forgotten about how much Perron has played, that’s a lot of hockey! Plus the all star game this year.

With all of the extra bodies waiting to get some games in, hopefully they have a plan to get guys like him and Steen games off in March. Winning the division is extremely important thou.

kruz12

Apr 4, 2018
I would like to see Thomas - Tarasenko together, but looks like its impossible combo when trying work lineups.

Code:
Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Sanford - O'Reilly - Perron
Kyrou - Bozak - Thomas
Barbashev - Sundqvist - Blais/DLR/Steen

Perron O'Reilly Schenn
Schwartz Thomas Tarasenko

But I don't see Schenn Schwartz being separated

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Perron O'Reilly Schenn
Schwartz Thomas Tarasenko

But I don't see Schenn Schwartz being separated

Schwartz ROR Schenn
Sanford Thomas Tarasenko
Perron Bozak Kyrou
Steen Sunny Barby

You could of course flip Perron and Sanford but Sanny and Thomas seem to play well together, Perron and Thomas haven't clicked. Perron could spark the third line and will have better matchups. Might help him get back into the groove again. Also, him and Kyrou are both pretty crafty shooting and passing. Maybe that combination would work.

For some reason I feel that second line could be awesome together and I don't think you can split up that top line right now.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Folks lock in when Jake Allen is bad, and it’s true that when Jake Allen is bad he’ll take you right out of games. It’s also true that more often than not, over the course of Jake Allen’s career, he has not been bad.
Allen to me is like Binnington, they are winners despite maybe not putting up the best numbers. Binnington played amazingly in the regular season (he almost had to for the Blues to make it in), but in the playoffs he was just an average goalie. Allen is probably a decent 1A/great backup, but he has to be kept in those roles to succeed. When he is overplayed, it gets bad really quick. Now having said that, he has played really well this year, but when his weaknesses are exposed, it gets frustrating mainly because he's had so much time to correct them but just hasn't. If Allen was payed 2 mil per year, I'd love him, but at 4.5 its just too rich. That's where a lot of our frustration comes from.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Haven’t forgotten about how much Perron has played, that’s a lot of hockey! Plus the all star game this year.

With all of the extra bodies waiting to get some games in, hopefully they have a plan to get guys like him and Steen games off in March. Winning the division is extremely important thou.

15 mins of ice time, 3x per week for 9 months. I’m trying to figure out how that’s being overworked. Imagine a real job in the real world. Try being a roofer or a hod carrier for 40+ hrs per week for 12 months.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
15 mins of ice time, 3x per week for 9 months. I’m trying to figure out how that’s being overworked. Imagine a real job in the real world. Try being a roofer or a hod carrier for 40+ hrs per week for 12 months.
You have a point if roofers shoot rock hard pucks at each other and get boarded often. On off days these guys are taking care of their bodies for the next game. I think it's tougher than we think.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Allen to me is like Binnington, they are winners despite maybe not putting up the best numbers. Binnington played amazingly in the regular season (he almost had to for the Blues to make it in), but in the playoffs he was just an average goalie. Allen is probably a decent 1A/great backup, but he has to be kept in those roles to succeed. When he is overplayed, it gets bad really quick. Now having said that, he has played really well this year, but when his weaknesses are exposed, it gets frustrating mainly because he's had so much time to correct them but just hasn't. If Allen was payed 2 mil per year, I'd love him, but at 4.5 its just too rich. That's where a lot of our frustration comes from.
Binnington did what no other goalie would ever do for us in the playoffs: he made the necessary stops to give us a chance to win, and he didn't give up soul-crushing, back-breaking, mind-blowing goals at the most inopportune times. He might not be spectacular, but he's at least consistent. Sometimes, that's all you need - and for years, that's whatl the Blues needed and could never get.

You're spot on about Allen: he's got two settings - really good and really bad. And the problem is, you don't always know which you're going to get and he can flip between the two on a moment's notice.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
We're still trying to determine if Binnington is the 60+ games type, for that matter...although he definitely looks the part...
If it weren't for that stretch of 8 games allowing 3 or more goals a game, he'd probably be over .920 sv%. I went back and looked at his stats before passing 32 games for this year and his sv% was a .917 and his gaa was 2.55 (without adjusting for time on ice or gaa/60). So he's been better than average but not by a significant margin like he was last year. The difference between he and Allen as someone said earlier is that Binnington makes the timely saves that keeps the team in the game. Allen gives up the back breakers, the goals that are given up when the Blues are dominating. For some reason this year though, Binnington has been awful at 5 on 5. He's sitting at a .900 sv% while last year he was unstoppable at 5 on 5 with a .936. I'm hoping he can find that game again in the playoffs because that would probably mean we win a 2nd cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->